Continuous Bose–Einstein condensation

John Clark

Jun 15, 2022, 10:56:39 AM6/15/22
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
A Bose–Einstein condensate (BEC) is the state in which billions or trillions of atoms lose their individual identity and can all be described by a single quantum wave function, it's the same thing that happens in a laser beam except that in a laser it's photons that have the same quantum wave function not atoms. BOC's were first made about 25 years ago and have been used to construct atomic interferometers that can perform some of the most precise spatial measurements ever made, but one serious practical drawback prevented them from becoming more common item in an engineers toolbox, nobody had ever been able to make a BEC that could exist longer than a tiny fraction of a second. But now in the June 8, 2022 issue of the journal Nature researchers explain how they found a way to make a BEC last essentially forever, they discovered how to make "the matter wave analogue of a continuous wave optical laser with fully reflective cavity mirrors''. The authors speculate that their new technology "could benefit applications ranging from dark-matter and dark-energy searches, gravitational-wave detection tests of Einstein’s equivalence principle to explorations in geodesy".

cob

spudb...@aol.com

Jun 16, 2022, 1:33:34 AM6/16/22
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
Now, figure out a means to make money out of this and better the lives of the masses. I understand the push for pure scientific discovery and recognition from ones physicist peers and respect this. Having said that can you as an engineer do anything with BE Condensate like stabilize radioactive decay? Make a craft that can make mining the solar system cheap, or kicking up the efficiencies of solar cells and batteries??? Ok, just asking. Look! I'll settle for an interociter. That's the ticket.

John Clark

Jun 16, 2022, 9:51:32 AM6/16/22
to spudb...@aol.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
On Thu, Jun 16, 2022 at 1:33 AM <spudb...@aol.com> wrote:

> Now, figure out a means to make money out of this and better the lives of the masses. I understand the push for pure scientific discovery and recognition from ones physicist peers and respect this. Having said that can you as an engineer do anything with BE Condensate like stabilize radioactive decay?

No, that wouldn't work.

> Make a craft that can make mining the solar system cheap,

A stable long-term Bose Einstein Condensate could aid mining in general (and geology and archaeology) by being able to produce detailed pictures of what's going on deep inside the interior of the Earth (or an asteroid) by detecting very small changes in the rates that clocks spaced a few inches apart keep time caused by variations in a gravitational field; it would also greatly enhance our ability to detect gravitational waves. And if we could make clocks that are much more accurate than anything we have today then, among other things, that would greatly improve our ability to navigate, so much so that a large jet could land on a aircraft carrier automatically without a pilot because it would always know the position of the jet and the position of the aircraft carrier within a tiny fraction of an inch even if the seas were mountainous.

> or kicking up the efficiencies of solar cells and batteries???

I don't see how a Bose Einstein Condensate could help with that, except perhaps by using a BEC to make an improved quantum computer able to derive battery chemistry and solar cell physics from first principles and figure out a way to make them better.

> I'll settle for an interociter. That's the ticket.

I don't know about that. I think you'll have to settle for something more mundane, like quantum computers and subjective immortality.

siq

tie

spudb...@aol.com

Jun 16, 2022, 7:32:21 PM6/16/22
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
OK JC, thanks for the analysis.

[I don't know about that. I think you'll have to settle for something more mundane, like quantum computers and subjective immortality.]

Heh!   Its something that we all could happily settle for, IF?