Religion and the indoctrination of children

John Clark

Jul 7, 2021, 7:12:56 AM7/7/21
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
On Tue, Jul 6, 2021 at 6:44 PM <spudb...@aol.com> wrote:
From the thread "Why are laws of physics stable?"

> I make no demands of anyone regarding the idea a central mind or program, or origin. Neither do I condemn atheism. It is what works best for each person.

I'm a libertarian so I don't demand that anybody believe anything either, and the philosophy you expressed above is fruitful if your goal is not to find the truth but to just find an emotional crutch that can get you through the day and are unconcerned if that crutch has any relationship with reality. If you really can't function without that crutch then I guess you've got to have it, but I must say it all seems a tad cowardly to me. And it is certainly unconscionable to assume that all children without exception need that crutch too and thus start indoctrinating them with religious nonsense at a very early age.

kbvz

spudb...@aol.com

Jul 7, 2021, 5:37:09 PM7/7/21
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, sure John. When Engels and Marx wrote about the religion being the opiate of the people he wasn't wrong. When people were in pain they needed or need opiates. People also found religion a great way for socialization and probably to some extent, self-domestication as the anthropologists' have termed it. It didn't domesticate them enough during the Crusades, the Inquisition, the Witch burnings, aor the expansion of Islam. My philosophy is to cherry pick science for the truth. To glean the fields after the harvest so to speak. This is known as engineering which attempts to build things of use, after scientific observation and measurement is done, and papers are electronically published.  Now about the tad cowardly observation, I would reply, You Betcha!

...../ )
.....' /