The Omicron Variant

John Clark

Dec 1, 2021, 10:59:09 AM12/1/21
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
Based on the Evolution of previous pandemics my guess would be that the Omicron Variant will turn out to be more contagious but not more virulent, in fact it might even be less virulent. In a few weeks we should be able to tell if my prediction is correct. Another big question is if existing vaccines are effective against it, but even if they're not all hope is not lost. Thanks to the new mRNA Technology it's easy, fast and cheap to radically change a vaccine, so if necessary Biotech companies say they can make a vaccine tailor made against Omicron in just 40 days and be able to put it into mass production in 100 days.

Of course no matter how good a vaccine is it will do no good if people don't take it because they are so stupid they believe in Q conspiracy theories and think Bill Gates is putting a microchip into the vaccine because he wants to control their thoughts, and for some reason that remains unclear wants to magnetize them too.

John K Clark

smitra

Dec 1, 2021, 1:04:39 PM12/1/21
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
We should consider making a mutant of covid that spreads well, does not
cause severe disease and will lead to immunity against the other
variants. Vaccinated people will then be immune to this virus, while the
unvaccinated will end up catching this engineered virus and become
immunized as well. One can also proceed in a similar way as with the
adenovirus vectors and make an infectious variant of such a vector that
will produce the spike protein besides making copies of itself.

Saibal
> --
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0QEiRekBYz%2BZ%3DNSZMSu4T5zz8ugM5ykkr72-v9mWNgHQ%40mail.gmail.com
> [1].
>

> Links:
> ------
> [1]
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/everything-list/CAJPayv0QEiRekBYz%2BZ%3DNSZMSu4T5zz8ugM5ykkr72-v9mWNgHQ%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer

John Clark

Dec 1, 2021, 1:51:36 PM12/1/21
On Wed, Dec 1, 2021 at 1:04 PM smitra <smi...@zonnet.nl> wrote:

> We should consider making a mutant of covid that spreads well, does not
cause severe disease and will lead to immunity against the other
variants. Vaccinated people will then be immune to this virus, while the
unvaccinated will end up catching this engineered virus and become
immunized as well.

Something like that has been shown to work with attenuated vaccines such as the live Sabin poliovirus vaccine, but the live versions have more side effects and are not as safe as vaccines that used dead viruses such as the Salk vaccine, and the dead version is vastly less safe than the newer mRNA vaccines. In addition, live vaccines take much longer to develop and need careful refrigeration and handling and have a short shelf life which makes mass distribution much more difficult.

It's especially important that vaccines be super safe because people don't have a good intuitive understanding of probability, if a vaccine kills one person in 100 million some will conclude it's too dangerous to take even if the disease it prevents kills a hundred thousand people a month.

  John K Clark.    See what's on my new list at  Extropolis

Henrik Ohrstrom

Dec 1, 2021, 2:21:50 PM12/1/21
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
Well, the normal way of viri and bacteria to some extent are, just that. The survivors and viri attenuate to each other and coexist in some kind of stable relationship.
That is indeed a very important function of daycare for small children, expose them to all the horrible infectious crap that kills a grownup.
Like chickenpox or more importantly all the airway viruses that we do not have any vaccine for, where there are a corona virus since probably the late 1800eds (pandemic of 1870 is suspected) and if you have had that coronavirus you probably won´t die from covid-19 or if lucky not even get very ill at all.

Try to engineer that one in the US though, you will have to invent a whole new word for the happiness of lawyers you would cause.

/henrik