New laws of physics will not help us understand consciousness or how the brain works

John Clark

May 18, 2023, 10:59:59 AM5/18/23
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
In this video Sean Carroll makes a very strong case that new laws of physics will not help us understand consciousness or how the brain works:

7mq

spudb...@aol.com

May 20, 2023, 9:26:01 PM5/20/23
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
Carroll is drawing a magical imaginary line across physical, material, reality.

He is doing Cartesian Dualism starting with pure physics.
Rene' DesCarte, Two kind of matter.

He hasn't proven this in any sense.

Other physicists and scientists have opined that maybe "mind" does "influence" what goes on in these 3 apparent dimensions.

John Clark

May 21, 2023, 7:25:39 AM5/21/23
to spudb...@aol.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
On Sat, May 20, 2023 at 9:25 PM <spudb...@aol.com> wrote:

> Carroll is drawing a magical imaginary line across physical, material, reality.
He is doing Cartesian Dualism starting with pure physics.
Rene' DesCarte, Two kind of matter.

What on earth are you talking about?!  Carroll specifically says that the Many Worlds idea has NOTHING to do with consciousness, and for me that has always been one of its great appeals, unlike Copenhagen Many Worlds does not need to explain consciousness because it has nothing to do with it. If Many Worlds was proved or disproved tomorrow nobody's idea about consciousness would need to be changed one bit.

> Other physicists and scientists have opined that maybe "mind" does "influence" what goes on in these 3 apparent dimensions.

Name those physicists. The Standard Model of Particle Physics and General Relativity both completely ignore "mind", so why are the predictions they make so amazingly good?

8eg
8gg

spudb...@aol.com

May 21, 2023, 9:18:26 PM5/21/23
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
I can name 3 for ya.

1. Roger Penrose. Oxford, right?

2. Christianne Mornais Smith

Christiane de Morais Smith Lehner is a Brazilian theoretical physicist and professor at the Institute for Theoretical Physics at the University of Utrecht, where she leads a research group studying condensed matter physics, cold atoms and strongly-correlated systems.

3. Henry Stapp of course.

For Carroll and the Multiverse? I am ok with materialism or dualism as long as it works well?
The only appeal of the Multiverse is more fun for everyone. Good science fiction tales, perhaps a place to have an afterlife?

Of course if you really want to define consciousness, you were claiming pantheism as ChatGpt4 being conscious, correct? Like in April, remember? For me, I was demanding that such a mind be based on the mammalian brain. So, I could be way wrong. Now, here was a physics team (with 1 comsci guy, Lanier) promoting consciousness as primo to the universe.

"We present an approach to cosmology in which the Universe learns its own physical laws. It does so by exploring a landscape of possible laws, which we express as a certain class of matrix models. We discover maps that put each of these matrix models in correspondence with both a gauge/gravity theory and a mathematical model of a learning machine, such as a deep recurrent, cyclic neural network. This establishes a correspondence between each solution of the physical theory and a run of a neural network. This correspondence is not an equivalence, partly because gauge theories emerge from N limits of the matrix models, whereas the same limits of the neural networks used here are not well-defined. We discuss in detail what it means to say that learning takes place in autodidactic systems, where there is no supervision. We propose that if the neural network model can be said to learn without supervision, the same can be said for the corresponding physical theory. We consider other protocols for autodidactic physical systems, such as optimization of graph variety, subset-replication using self-attention and look-ahead, geometrogenesis guided by reinforcement learning, structural learning using renormalization group techniques, and extensions. These protocols together provide a number of directions in which to explore the origin of physical laws based on putting machine learning architectures in correspondence with physical theories."

If quantum woo is wrong, I don't wanna be right!