Is China's economy smaller than we thought?

John Clark

Oct 30, 2022, 8:21:27 AM10/30/22
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
Take a look at this. I don't know enough economics to determine if this analysis is correct, perhaps somebody on the list does, but I do know that just like presidents in democracies, dictators have a motive to lie and inflate their country's GDP numbers, but unlike presidents dictators also have the means of doing so.  And I do know that 10 years ago Li Keqiang, who is now the second most powerful man in China, admitted that:

"China’s GDP figures are man-made and therefore unreliable"

Most people, including me, thought China would have the largest economy in the world by 2030, but now I'm not so sure. Rough times could be ahead for China because economically things were already serious given the huge amount of internal debt they have, and unlike the GDP the debt figure can't be easily faked not even by a dictator, but if this is true then China's problem has just increased  60% in severity.

ces