Apparently objective quantum wave function collapse doesn't occur

1 view

John Clark

Oct 28, 2022, 5:21:57 PM10/28/22
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
On Fri, Oct 28, 2022 at 3:37 PM Brent Meeker <meeke...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Well, I think your condition that it be erased before the particle hits the screen is another misunderstanding your part.

If there is a misunderstanding then it's not mine it's David Deutsch's because that's what the man said, but I don't think the misunderstanding lies with Deutsch either, no offense but I think he knows more about quantum mechanics than you do.

> But it's not relevant to what I'm questioning because in principle you can have the detector screen a lightyear away.

Correct.

>> the document is EXACTLY the same in both universes,

>I know that.  But it must be causally connected (entangled with) the measurement value of either L xor R.

Well sure, nothing is going to happen without a cause, but things are cleverly arranged such that it makes no difference to the outcome if the electron goes left or right because the documents are identical in both cases. The causes are different but the effects are identical.

> But how else is the computer going to "truthfully" report that a measurement was made, i.e. a report that is entangled with either
a measurement of L xor with a measurement of R?

Sorry I'm not following you. It's not difficult to make an instrument that can tell  if a measurement has been successfully made, and it's not difficult to have the device inform us of that fact, and after that it's physically possible for a quantum computer to erase that knowledge. And I don't understand why you needed quotation marks in the above.

39b
9yu