A room temperature superconductor

John Clark

Mar 8, 2023, 2:20:56 PM3/8/23
to 'Brent Meeker' via Everything List
In today's issue of the journal Nature there is a report on the discovery of a room temperature superconductor, it's a compound of hydrogen, nitrogen and lutetium, the researchers claim it remains a superconductor up to a blistering 69.8°F, although you need to pressurize it to about 10 times the pressure you get at the bottom of the Marianas Trench for it to work, that sounds like a lot of pressure but it's 100 times less than the pressure required in previous similar compounds. If this turns out to be true it could be a big deal but the same group made a similar claim a few years ago and then had to retract it so the work needs to be confirmed by others ; still it was published in the journal Nature and that's about as respectable as you can get so it must have something going for it.

6rw

spudb...@aol.com

Mar 8, 2023, 8:18:09 PM3/8/23
to johnk...@gmail.com, everyth...@googlegroups.com
The physicists have been promising room temp supercon since 1987 correct?
Tell you what? If the lads or ladies in the labs had big league help from an advanced computer system, then it's a big thing. It would also mean that the science team had a fat enough budget.

Commercially, if this is the real thing, where do you see its application?

Lawrence Crowell

Mar 10, 2023, 6:02:30 PM3/10/23
to Everything List
The race is to find superconductivity that is on a high wave number. The standard BCS theory is S-wave, and the curates for high-Tc back in the 80s worked with P-wave (dipolar) Cooper pairing. Current work is with D-wave (quadrupolar) local entanglement of electrons in Cooper pairs. I am going to be submitting a paper on how an emergent form of supersymmetry, yes SUSY of the sort usually thought of with particle physics, can give rise to F-wave Cooper-pairing.

LC

Lawrence Crowell

Mar 10, 2023, 6:05:13 PM3/10/23
to Everything List
On Wednesday, March 8, 2023 at 7:18:09 PM UTC-6 spudb...@aol.com wrote:
The physicists have been promising room temp supercon since 1987 correct?
Tell you what? If the lads or ladies in the labs had big league help from an advanced computer system, then it's a big thing. It would also mean that the science team had a fat enough budget.

Commercially, if this is the real thing, where do you see its application?

I suspect the primary application will be in computer circuitry. The pressure quoted here could be handled if this is within a crystal; the solid material would provide the pressure by its elasticity. The prospect is then computer circuitry could readily use Josephson junction physics.

LC

Lawrence Crowell

Mar 10, 2023, 7:28:08 PM3/10/23
to Everything List

John Clark

Mar 11, 2023, 5:42:50 AM3/11/23
to everyth...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Mar 10, 2023 at 6:02 PM Lawrence Crowell <goldenfield...@gmail.com> wrote:

> The race is to find superconductivity that is on a high wave number. The standard BCS theory is S-wave, and the curates for high-Tc back in the 80s worked with P-wave (dipolar) Cooper pairing. Current work is with D-wave (quadrupolar) local entanglement of electrons in Cooper pairs. I am going to be submitting a paper on how an emergent form of supersymmetry, yes SUSY of the sort usually thought of with particle physics, can give rise to F-wave Cooper-pairing.

I'm hoping somebody will discover electron Cooper pairs that have one unit of angular spin momentum and 1 unit of orbital (spatial) momentum (S=1,l=1), in other words P-wave virtual particles. They would form Majorana Fermions that would change their physical properties if the time direction was reversed, and so would be enormously useful in Quantum Computers because they would be much less susceptible to environmental noise and thus could remain quantum entangled far longer than everyday particles that are not Majoranas can. The only trouble is that Majorana Fermions exist in theory but nobody knows if they exist in reality.

eir

spudb...@aol.com

Mar 12, 2023, 5:06:26 PM3/12/23
to everyth...@googlegroups.com

The electrical power, for some reason I never considered. Brainwashed by bits and qubits, entanglements and non-entanglements, speed and capacity of course.