Bay Area Air Quality District is hiring

Dustin Mulvaney

May 21, 2021, 12:25:23 PM5/21/21
to envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com, envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com
FYI,
The Air District is hiring an Environmental Planner I-II, come work with us! Deadline to apply is June 8th.

Feel free to reach out via my work email if you have any questions: miriam...@baaqmd.gov.

Miriam Torres

BAAQMD Environmental Planner I-II (AQ Planning) Job Announcement.pdf
BAAQMD Environmental Planner I-II (AQ Planning) Flier.pdf

Ada Marquez

May 24, 2021, 2:27:43 PM5/24/21
to Dustin Mulvaney, Ada Marquez, Viri Santoyo, Viri Santoyo, envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com, envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com, all envs faculty
Hi ENVS Students,
Beware this recent Planner I-II position opened because a SJSU graduate resigned due to the current manager Wendy Goodfriend's discriminatory management style. I resigned in 2019 for the same reason.
SInce BAAQMD (aka Air District) hired Goodfriend in 2019, a total of four women of color resigned or asked to be moved from planning to another department. Note: She does not have any CEQA or air quality expertise.

Please do not contact Miriam Torres; she is a new employee at BAAQMD hired by Goodfriend to save her own job as the manager. They worked together previously at the SF Bay Conservation & Development (BCDC).

Instead please email Ms. Veronica Eady, the new Executive Officer of Policy & Equity at (  ve...@baaqmd.gov. ) Let her know that you will be applying, but concerned about the high turnover rate of people of color in the planning group.

My contact information is ada.m...@sjsu.edu or (408) 835-1795 if anyone needs documentation.
I can also recommend other BAAQMD staff contacts with many years of air quality experience and support people of color if you are interested in applying for other positions.
I am grateful that I continue to work with many experienced BAAQMD staff as friends and colleagues.

In addition, Viri Santoyo, SJSU ENVS graduate gave me permission to share her info (virisa...@gmail.com) if you want to learn about her traumatic experience at BAAQMD during her internship in 2019.

Lastly, Youth  & EJ Action at Air District Headquarters on June 1, 2021: "Don’t let Big Oil win."  Sponsored by the Communities for a Better Environment and others. Click the link for details
Gratitude, Peace, and Justice,
Ada
ENVS DEI Committee Member

Katherine Cushing

May 24, 2021, 2:45:23 PM5/24/21
to Ada Marquez, Dustin Mulvaney, Viri Santoyo, Viri Santoyo, envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com, envssjsu-...@googlegroups.com, all envs faculty
Dear Ada and Viri,

Thank you for sharing this important information with our community and for offering to talk with students. I am sorry that there is a negative work culture in that part of BAAQMD and hope they will take action to improve it. I'm sure Dr. Mulvaney forwarded this along to the list without any knowledge of what you describe. I'm glad we have this network so we can communicate with each other on issues like these.

Hope everyone's well,

Katherine

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "envsfac-sjsu" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/envsfac-sjsu/CAOz5oq0_-g_2eB2nbrrvNeRQXW2vBqZ-zAZigVXGOZpuB9kqFQ%40mail.gmail.com.

--
Katherine Kao Cushing, Ph.D.
Professor, Department of Environmental Studies

Executive Director
CommUniverCity San José
Engage. Learn. Build.
#CommUniverCity
#EngageLearnBuild
CommUniverCity believes that everyone deserves to live in vibrant, healthy communities.

SJSU is located on the traditional land of the Muwekma Ohlone people.

San José State University
One Washington Square
San José, CA  95192-0115
Office: 408-924-6951