installing Electric VLSI tool on Mac

Sujata Devaramani

Oct 10, 2023, 9:42:31 AM10/10/23
to Electric VLSI Editor
I have installed electric-7.00 for my macOS. when I click on icon it's not opening. please help me to fix.

Steven Rubin

Oct 11, 2023, 4:08:40 PM10/11/23
to electr...@googlegroups.com

Why are you trying to install Electric 7.00 when that is decades old? The latest is 9.07.

   -Steven Rubin

On 10/10/2023 6:34 AM, Sujata Devaramani wrote:
I have installed electric-7.00 for my macOS. when I click on icon it's not opening. please help me to fix.  --
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Electric VLSI Editor" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/electricvlsi/015ab961-4408-4388-b430-f3829dc066b2n%40googlegroups.com.

Sujata Devaramani

Oct 28, 2023, 8:36:43 AM10/28/23
to Electric VLSI Editor
sir I'm trying from many days to install 9.07 version and after getting your reply again I tried but when I click on app its not opening.

Alexandre Rusev

Oct 28, 2023, 10:54:58 AM10/28/23
to electr...@googlegroups.com
You need to install Java (Oracle JDK-8 for is a good choice). Your system is likely does NOT support running with "mouse clicking" of .jar files (that is a formata of Java executable)

You can run Electric without any mouse clicking at all;)

[1] Install JDK for MacOS
[2] Open terminal and make shure that java is in your searchpath.
     Can be added to searchpath in  your terminal with command likes this:
     export PATH=/opt/jdk1.8/bin:$PATH
     (read about MacOS shell PATH variable)
[3] in terminal window go to the directory where  electricBinary-9.07.jar resides, using cd command,
     example:

     cd /home/Desktop/My-Music/
[4] Run your Electric
     java -jar electricBinary-9.07.jar
       or with full path to java
     /opt/jdk1.8/bin/java -jar electricBinary-9.07.jar

PS:
   If you want to use EDA tools you need to learn how executables are runned in your OS,
   I mean internal mechanics but not mouse-clicking.
   Virtually almost no EDA CAD can run with setting up environment and so on
  (Cadence, Synopsys, Calibre...)

Alex

Sujata Devaramani

Nov 3, 2023, 10:14:02 AM11/3/23
to electr...@googlegroups.com
thank you sir i was trying with jdk17 and 21 but now i installed jdk1.8 its opening.

Alexandre Rusev

Nov 3, 2023, 7:08:29 PM11/3/23
to electr...@googlegroups.com
Sorry I had to pint it out directly - currently Java8 == JDK1.8 is minimal version to run Electric.
Very nice hat you are learned it experimentally !;)