Larger EBS root using Alestic AMIs?

Joseph Turian

May 3, 2011, 7:48:35 PM5/3/11
to ec2ubuntu
I enjoy using the Alestic Ubuntu AMIs.

However, I want my EBS root volume to be bigger than 8GB.
How do I use the Alestic Ubuntu AMIs but have a bigger root volume?

Eric Hammond

May 3, 2011, 8:00:19 PM5/3/11
to ec2ubuntu
Joseph:

These articles are old but may help:

Increasing Root Disk Size of an "EBS Boot" AMI on EC2
http://alestic.com/2009/12/ec2-ebs-boot-resize

Resizing the Root Disk on a Running EBS Boot EC2 Instance
http://alestic.com/2010/02/ec2-resize-running-ebs-root

I think the most recent releases of the official Ubuntu AMIs do a
resize2fs on first boot, so that step may not be necessary.

Note: The modern Ubuntu AMIs I list on http://Alestic.com are created
and maintained by Canonical, so they are the "Canonical Ubuntu AMIs"
or the "official Ubuntu AMIs".

--
Eric Hammond

MarkMac

May 3, 2011, 11:00:42 PM5/3/11
to ec2u...@googlegroups.com
I believe the link you are looking for is this one:

http://alestic.com/2010/02/ec2-resize-running-ebs-root

mmcintosh

Scott Moser

May 4, 2011, 8:20:10 AM5/4/11
to ec2ubuntu
On Tue, 3 May 2011, Eric Hammond wrote:

> Joseph:
>
> These articles are old but may help:
>
> Increasing Root Disk Size of an "EBS Boot" AMI on EC2
> http://alestic.com/2009/12/ec2-ebs-boot-resize
>
> Resizing the Root Disk on a Running EBS Boot EC2 Instance
> http://alestic.com/2010/02/ec2-resize-running-ebs-root

Right.
instances of 11.04 images booted with a larger root filesystem will
"just work".
ie:
ec2-run-instances --block-device-mapping /dev/sda1=:100 ami-1aad5273
will result in a 100G root filesystem on /.