MAC Address

Amal

Mar 13, 2009, 4:19:12 PM3/13/09
to ec2ubuntu
Is there a way to choose the MAC address for an EC2 AMI instance? We
have a number of software packages that we will eventually move, but
in the meantime, I wanted to spoof it and try the software as
benchmarking and see how they compare to our own servers.

Please let me know,
-- Amal

Eric Hammond

Mar 16, 2009, 2:43:23 AM3/16/09
to ec2ubuntu
Amal:

This is a regularly asked question on the Amazon EC2 forum. As far as
I know the answer is still "no", but you could search the forum or ask
the question again:

http://ec2forum.notlong.com

--
Eric Hammond
http://www.anvilon.com

Amar Parmar

Mar 16, 2009, 12:40:01 PM3/16/09
to ec2u...@googlegroups.com
Amal,

I don’t know what kind of software you are using. There could be a
potential work-around.

Is it capable of detecting dual network adapter machines? If so you could
create a pseudo-interface (tap interface) that ships with something like
openvpn. Right now it generates a random MAC address when creating a tap
interface, but I suspect you can easily adapt the code to give you a
predefined address. When your software starts up, you can have it look at
your tap interface. Maybe something like this would work for you.

Openvpn: http://www.openvpn.net/

If you do decide to go this route, look at the tap interface code. The
folks at the openvpn forum might also be able to point you in the right
direction for the location of the MAC address generation code.

-AP