šŸ“œ EwA Week Recap: Phenology, Micro-plastics, City Nature Challenge & more...

EwA

Apr 18, 2020, 2:28:43ā€ÆPM4/18/20
to earthwi...@googlegroups.com
I hope you're all doing well and staying healthy!

Another week more of the same and we show how resilient we are in the face of the virus: we keep monitoring! The first Spring 2020 intern article is out there. Stephanie wanted to share about micro-plastics, and here it is.

āš ļø Site news:Ā The Long Pond and Sheepfold parking lots remain closed. As of 4/18, Flynn Rink parking will reopen, but the lot at Greenwood Park will be closed until further notice. The route 28 / Fellsway West closure between the 93 on-ramp and Parkway Road in Medford will occur again this weekend, Saturday and Sunday from dawn to dusk, to allow for pedestrian traffic.Ā Be advised that any illegally parked vehicles around state parks are subject to ticketing and towing.Ā

ā– Ā EwA Fieldwork & Online Resources.Ā

No work on the vernal pool this week as we are busy preparing for the City Nature Challenge starting this Friday Apr 24th.

Our documentation of local biodiversity is continuing with the same vigor as always with many of us roaming parks and open spaces. On the right, a Golden net-winged beetle sighted by Dan in the Fells. Curious about our records this week? > here - 221 observations total, not bad, right?

šŸŒ± Phenology

This week again, Kathy took care of EwA's Long Pond sites; Jennifer monitored the Bellevue sites and our Somerville site. Thanks so much!
EwA Spring interns, Steph and Layza are working on phenology infosheets. Soon they'll be accessible from our interactive site map. We're happy :-)
[More]Ā Long Pond fieldwork journalĀ |Ā Bellevue fieldwork journalĀ |Ā EwA on Spring ObsĀ |Ā Climate & Wildlife Watch journal

šŸ“†Ā EwA Coming EventsĀ

No public in-person events still but we host webinars and virtual meetups.Ā

Yesterday we gave an iNaturalist Deep Dive webinar. Pretty good size audience (about 22) and it looks like it was very well received!

On the EwA calendar this week:

EwA's Nature Virtual Hour | Tuesdays at noonĀ (šŸŽŸļø webinar registration): An opportunity to check on each other, share about nature's calendar and sightings, ask question

City Nature Challenge information webinars for the Somerville, Fells and Fresh Pond communities:
Check our calendarĀ >Ā http://earthwiseaware.eventbrite.com/

To all of you: Stay healthy!Ā

ā„¹ļøĀ More About EwA Citizen Science Program Ā» here

AnyĀ questionā“Ā Don't be shy. Just email me or reply to this thread.
Thanks and Have a Great Weekend!, - Claire
Ā Make an impact - Help ourĀ #ScienceForAllĀ program.
Become an EwA Ambassador today! Ā»Ā https://www.earthwiseaware.org/donate/