Prusa: The Arrival

1 view

Alan Dipert

Jul 8, 2011, 5:20:48 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I'll be driving to High Point this evening to pick up the Mendel. I
expect to have it at the space around 9-10PM if anyone would like to
see or work on it tonight.

I understand that there's some minor soldering left to get it working.
I'm planning on being at the Space tomorrow morning to hack on it, if
anyone would like to join.

Alan

Alan Dipert

Jul 8, 2011, 8:39:49 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

REPRAP ACQUIRED. Should be at space ~10.

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 8, 2011, 9:17:52 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
"The Arrival" was a crap film, BTW.

jsc

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 8, 2011, 11:56:20 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Okay, I dropped by and spoke to Skippy. There is now a 4-pin header, scavenged and cut down to fit. I left it plugged into the empty polulu driver, but it's not hooked up to the last stepper.

I will bring my hotglue gun and vastly superior yellow hot glue to the Space tomorrow AM as early as I can manage it. Clear hot glue sucks.

JSC

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 8, 2011, 11:57:21 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Not header. Four pin plug, to plug into the header. You know what I mean. It's late. Go away and leave me alone.

JSC

Alan Dipert

Jul 8, 2011, 11:57:31 PM7/8/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Excellent! Do you or anyone else have any extra PLA you could drop by
as well? With that, we should be in business.
Alan

Mike Broome

Jul 9, 2011, 12:51:42 PM7/9/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Doesn't look like Lisa and I will be make it over to the Space today,
but we are planning to be there tomorrow afternoon for the Mapping as
Activism class. Is anyone planning to be around Sunday mid-day or early
afternoon before the Public School class playing or hacking with the
Prussa? I'd love to get up-to-speed on it.

Mike

Geoffrey Tattersfield

Jul 9, 2011, 1:25:58 PM7/9/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

Is anyone in the space now?   I'd like to get in and see the happenings.  I'm at the front door at the moment but will be looking for lunch too if anyone is interested.

Drew

Jul 10, 2011, 3:46:08 AM7/10/11
to Splat Space
Ok, so the collective we made some progress today.

The machine as it stands right now has an extruder full of PLA, and no
filament in it. The first people in tomorrow will have to run a new
filament of ABS in. Be careful not to burn the PLA already in the
tube. Once that's working, call Neil. I don't know what the next
step is, and the internet is astonishingly silent. So I started a
document explaining what I've learned so far. Please do add to it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yyWL3ajgm6Sa1beB2hsP9h0xQ428davtPcUUWa4SCwE/edit?hl=en_US

On Jul 9, 1:25 pm, Geoffrey Tattersfield <gtatt...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone in the space now?   I'd like to get in and see the happenings.
> I'm at the front door at the moment but will be looking for lunch too if
> anyone is interested.
> On Jul 9, 2011 12:51 PM, "Mike Broome" <mbro...@employees.org> wrote:
>

> > Doesn't look like Lisa and I will be make it over to the Space today,
> > but we are planning to be there tomorrow afternoon for the Mapping as
> > Activism class. Is anyone planning to be around Sunday mid-day or early
> > afternoon before the Public School class playing or hacking with the
> > Prussa? I'd love to get up-to-speed on it.
>
> > Mike
>
> > On Fri, Jul 08, 2011 at 11:57:31PM -0400, Alan Dipert wrote:
> >> Excellent! Do you or anyone else have any extra PLA you could drop by
> >> as well? With that, we should be in business.
> >> Alan

> Space

j.c.sackett

Jul 10, 2011, 9:53:53 AM7/10/11

On Sunday, July 10, 2011 at 3:46 AM, Drew wrote:

So I started a document explaining what I've learned so far. Please do add to it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1yyWL3ajgm6Sa1beB2hsP9h0xQ428davtPcUUWa4SCwE/edit?hl=en_US
Can we put this on the wiki? Seems like it would be good to have all our shared knowledge in one place.

--
//j.c.sackett

Skippy H

Jul 10, 2011, 11:48:07 AM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I'm at the space now, so I'll see if I can clear the PLA out of the extruder and put ABS in.  I'll be here for a while for anyone that wants to come help, or just kibbits.

Mike Broome

Jul 10, 2011, 12:26:53 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

Lisa and I are heading over to both help and kibitz. Should be there at
or before 1pm.

M.

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 10, 2011, 12:33:08 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I have to go to Lowes and then I'll be over. Kibbles and Bitz?

BTW, there's sangria in the fridge. Feel free.

JSC

Mike Broome

Jul 10, 2011, 1:35:06 PM7/10/11
to Jeffrey Crews, durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Jeff,

If you get this before you head out, please bring:
- PLA
- a torch (propane or butane) [1]

Thanks!

Mike

[1] for melting an extra gob of PLA out of the extruder tip
(per Neil's suggestion)

--
Mike Broome
mbroome(at)employees.org

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 10, 2011, 4:32:00 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
If anyone is monitoring this at 4:30, I forgot to leave some PLA when I snuck out during the class. I have many feet of PLA in the oven right now, and I will bring it in at about 6:00 when I return.

JSC

Mike Broome

Jul 10, 2011, 6:35:46 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
After the change to add the axle to the skate wheel bearing in the
extruder assembly, the ABS is feeding consistently now at 100mm/min.
Although, it was consistently about 5% off (5mm short of feeding 100mm).
Skippy and I also leveled the print platform and verified the X,Y,Z
stop switches

That was the state when I left around 6pm. I will edit the notes I took
throughout the afternoon and put them up on the wiki.

BTW, do we have a wiki page going for this already? I haven't gone to
look, yet. (I know Drew has a Google doc, but I want to put my raw
noted on the wiki so he can pull what he wants from them.)

Mike

P.S. Thanks for the sangria!

Alan Dipert

Jul 10, 2011, 9:54:54 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Excellent!

I've gotten pretty fired up about OpenSCAD, a program for designing
things programmatically. We'll be able to use it to design things to
print. This video is a sweet example of what's possible, and how
OpenSCAD works: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmKnvEcPTk8

In addition to rocking on with the RepRap on Tuesday, is anyone
interested in learning OpenSCAD? I could start with a lightning talk
about it.
Alan

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 10, 2011, 10:18:39 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I actually came to Software night to get started on learning openscad tutorials, but I got re-railed into fixing the 12 V power supply (whoever screwed it up before, PLEASE DON'T do it again!) and fixing the band saw. The band saw now cuts like buttah.

So in other words, yes I am interested iin openscad..

I also baked some PLA in the oven and dropped it off. I will put more into the vacuum desiccator at work and see what that does.

JSC

Mike Broome

Jul 10, 2011, 10:39:30 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Wow. Thanks for the video link. OpenSCAD rocks! I'm interested.
What are you thinking about for a lightning talk about it? Something
more or different than what's in that video?

M.

Alan Dipert

Jul 10, 2011, 10:56:00 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
I'm thinking of just relaying what I've learned so far, which isn't
much: constructive solid geometry primer, installing, openscad
language/syntax, where to learn more.

If you're excited about it, dig in - it's awesome, and very easy to
get started. You might know more than me by Tuesday, and then you can
give a lightning talk :)
Alan

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 10, 2011, 11:05:33 PM7/10/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Hey, what if I try to cad up one of my bearing shells, and you can do the other one live on Tuesday, on the projector? They're very, very simple shapes but would require some boolean operations.

JSC

Drew

Jul 11, 2011, 7:32:42 PM7/11/11
to Splat Space
Wiki page is here: http://wiki.splatspace.org/index.php/Reprap_Visit

Current info is there.

On Jul 10, 6:35 pm, Mike Broome <mbro...@employees.org> wrote:
> After the change to add the axle to the skate wheel bearing in the
> extruder assembly, the ABS is feeding consistently now at 100mm/min.
> Although, it was consistently about 5% off (5mm short of feeding 100mm).
> Skippy and I also leveled the print platform and verified the X,Y,Z
> stop switches
>
> That was the state when I left around 6pm.  I will edit the notes I took
> throughout the afternoon and put them up on the wiki.
>
> BTW, do we have a wiki page going for this already?  I haven't gone to
> look, yet.  (I know Drew has a Google doc, but I want to put my raw
> noted on the wiki so he can pull what he wants from them.)
>
> Mike
>
> P.S. Thanks for the sangria!
>

> On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 04:32:00PM -0400, Jeffrey Crews wrote:
> > If anyone is monitoring this at 4:30, I forgot to leave some PLA when I
> > snuck out during the class. I have many feet of PLA in the oven right now,
> > and I will bring it in at about 6:00 when I return.
>
> > JSC
>
> > On Sun, Jul 10, 2011 at 1:35 PM, Mike Broome <mbro...@employees.org> wrote:
>
> > > Jeff,
>
> > > If you get this before you head out, please bring:
> > >  - PLA
> > >  - a torch (propane or butane) [1]
>
> > > Thanks!
>
> > > Mike
>
> > > [1] for melting an extra gob of PLA out of the extruder tip
> > >    (per Neil's suggestion)

Mike Broome

Jul 12, 2011, 9:41:37 AM7/12/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Drew!

I just updated the RepRap Visit wiki page:
- added a Background section with an overall description and links to
the main e-mail threads
- added a summary of debugging on Sunday 10th and link to my detailed
notes (which I saved as a different page)
- some minor edits

http://wiki.splatspace.org/index.php/Reprap_Visit

Mike

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 13, 2011, 7:17:28 AM7/13/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
O NOZE- xkcd is in on it:

http://xkcd.com/924/

BTW, I am now researching Wade's extruder problems. I hope to find something helpful.

JSC

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 13, 2011, 8:32:44 AM7/13/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Wait a second- IS there any DIY 3D printer that will print 16 inches high?

JSC

Drew

Jul 13, 2011, 1:27:39 PM7/13/11
to Splat Space
Had a brief email exchange with Bill Culverhouse earlier. He thought
that the default temperature values were a bit higher than we might
want to be running at. I may have a chance to swing by the space
later tonight and see if I can make it play nice.

And now that I say it out loud, I did not ask him about what
temperature he'd recommend.

Drew

bill

Jul 13, 2011, 1:43:22 PM7/13/11
to Splat Space
Greetings!

Answer to your question Jeff is:

http://lockerz.com/s/103007709

Complete with sample "toys"

Enjoy.

-b

On Jul 13, 8:32 am, Jeffrey Crews <cruze...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > JSC- Hide quoted text -

Mike Broome

Jul 13, 2011, 2:22:28 PM7/13/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Just updated the wiki page with notes from debugging last night.
Drew and Skippy - feel free to edit and update if I missed or got
anything wrong in my description of what you guys did before I came back
to help later.
Anyone else - feel free to add you name to the team that worked on it if
you did.

http://wiki.splatspace.org/index.php/Reprap_Visit

M.

Alan Dipert

Jul 13, 2011, 3:09:14 PM7/13/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Neil gave me a call today - he was interested in hearing
about our progress. This wiki page is the perfect thing to send him!

Oh, and he recommended #reprap on Freenode in case anyone hasn't been
yet - great IRC channel full of helpful people, and Neil hangs out in
there a lot as well.
Alan

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 14, 2011, 10:22:37 PM7/14/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com, Drew Nelson
Update on boltage: looking further in the Mendel reprap wiki it appears that the bolt design I dropped off "has problems" working with the Wade's extruder remix that we are using.

I don't know what the problem is (they don't elaborate) but I suspect that it may be the wandering across the bolt that Drew described in our wiki.

I'd recommend using the old bolt with our newly corrected idler bearing position.

JSC

Skippy H

Jul 15, 2011, 9:21:48 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

Last night Drew and I experimented with the new bolt.  It was wandering but didn't seem to be wandering off of the bearing and might be less likely to gouge out the plastic.  We tried running 100mm without the extruder head on and that went slightly more than 100mm which is a result that we've gotten a couple times before.  We worked with the theory that the pressure in the extruder head is building up too high, causing to feeding to slip at times later in the test.  We didn't come up with any brilliant ideas for what to do about it, though a feed rate of 100mm/min did seem to do better.

Skippy

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 15, 2011, 9:42:15 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Well, if you really want to use the new design there's a way I could...improve it.

-shifty eyes-

Skippy H

Jul 15, 2011, 9:54:30 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com

Do the improvements involve radioactives, large amounts of fire, blood sacrifice, or dark rituals?

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 15, 2011, 10:03:44 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Define "dark ritual."

No, my idea is to carefully delineate the drive portion of the bolt that corresponds to the idler bearing position (should be 7mm wide). Clean the bolt with ethanol/degreaser, then protect the drive area with tape. On both sides of that area, build up a little berm of JB Weld to inhibit wandering.

That's if you think the original bolt really isn't working. It would be interesting to try regardless, but right now the idea is to get the damn thing running, period.

JSC

Jeffrey Crews

Jul 15, 2011, 10:56:06 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
Oh, and I totally blanked on how long it takes to print a set of Prusa parts. On the Mendel it's just one plate. Duh.

JSC

Skippy H

Jul 15, 2011, 10:58:29 AM7/15/11
to durham-m...@googlegroups.com
It seems to me like the new bolt is doing at least as well as the old bolt, but someone with more experience than I have should probably make that judgement.

Skippy

Spacexula

Jul 16, 2011, 11:49:10 AM7/16/11
to Splat Space
Set your speed to what ever works, if you have to feed it in at 25mm/
minute that's absolutely fine, it all washes out in the end with
skeinforge

Spacexula

Jul 16, 2011, 11:50:57 AM7/16/11
to Splat Space
Or you could take a round file and put a little "dip" in the middle of
your hob, it only takes a .5mm dip to hold the plastic solidly in
place.
> > sacrifice, or dark rituals?- Hide quoted text -

Spacexula

Jul 16, 2011, 11:53:01 AM7/16/11
to Splat Space
BTW if you guys are still using the over a year old pla that was not
sealed that might be part of your issue. that machien was working
10x10 a week ago before the wire broke.

Spacexula

Jul 16, 2011, 12:26:00 PM7/16/11
to Splat Space
Actually 1 other thing, be sure that the small and large drive gears
are not too close, as the big gear rotates you want to make sure that
at no point do the gears fully mesh, a little backlash is ok. If the
stepper is too close to the big gear it will greatly incerase the drag
on the extruder, also you could take a pen file and file down any
teeth that are being a little finiky. The parts where printed on a MB
so they are a little over spooged.