Dspace7 : adding facet/filter by community/collection?

Marie-Hélène Vézina - UdeM

Apr 11, 2022, 10:04:50 AM4/11/22
to DSpace Technical Support

I'm sorry if this has been mentioned before. I don't see an easy and direct way to add a community/collection search facet in the config file: config/spring/api/discovery.xml

How can I allow my end users to filter their global item search results by collections as it was possible before (Dspace 6.x XMLUI)?

and is it possible to allow end users to search within a single community/collection, not All of Dspace?

Thank you,

Marie-Hélène V.

Tim Donohue

Apr 11, 2022, 11:39:50 AM4/11/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi  Marie-Hélène,

Somewhere along the way, we accidentally turned off (or broke) the feature which allows you to search within a Community/Collection.
We're working on fixing it in this ticket https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/issues/1588

You also might be able to simply turn it back on by default by changing "showScopeSelector" to "true" in the SearchFormComponent: https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular/blob/main/src/app/shared/search-form/search-form.component.ts#L70  (I'll admit though that I'm not sure if this will resolve the issue entirely...but follow that ticket for more info.

Tim

Marie-Hélène Vézina - UdeM

Apr 13, 2022, 3:49:29 PM4/13/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Bonjour Tim,

Regarding the Scope Search:

Indeed, turning on "showScopeSelector" does have the UI display the scope selector box, thank you.

However, this scope box with the choice of the collection is not shown on the results page (as it is in Dspace 6.x XMLUI).
Thus 1) the user does not see clearly that his/her search was done only in a specific collection and 2) if the user wants to restart his/her search and/or do a second search in the same collection, he/she has to go back to the previous page to reselect the collection in question. Does the  "showScopeSelector" have to be turned on somewhere else in the code to also appear at the top of the result list? If it's not the case, I think this design could be improved. (I could add this comment in the Github ticket if deemed relevant).

Regarding the filter/facet by collection : Are there any plans for this?

Thank you,

Marie-Hélène V.

Marie-Hélène Vézina - UdeM

May 10, 2022, 9:31:20 AM5/10/22
to DSpace Technical Support
May I ask again if there are any plans to add a filter/facet by collection ? Actually, with the ScopeSelector added, the collection must be chosen at the very beginning of the search process. It would be usefull to be able to filter results by collections.

Many thanks,

Marie-Hélène V.

darryl....@usask.ca

May 10, 2022, 11:09:39 AM5/10/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Marie-Hélène, it seems the existing 6.x ability to facet during browse was only available in the XMLUI (not JSPUI), and the DSpace 7.x frontend seems to draw more from JSPUI.  So as I understand it, the ability to filter/facet is only available for search results, not while browsing communities or collections. These 2 threads have some additional details:

- Darryl

Marie-Hélène Vézina - UdeM

May 10, 2022, 3:21:42 PM5/10/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you @Darryl. I had seen the first thread but not the second one.

Reading your comment I realized I had not seen the lack of facets on collection/community page, rather the other way around : there is no collection facet to filter the search results... Either way I understand that there is an unmet need with the Dspace7 user interface regarding narrowing by collection(s). It will be interesting to see if this need is expressed more strongly as the adoption of Dspace 7 increases.

-mh