DSpace 6 to DSpace 7 - Boolean Search

Carol

Feb 24, 2022, 11:11:38 AM2/24/22
to DSpace Technical Support

I’m trying to find out if DSpace 7 future releases has already or intends to add back the Boolean search?

In a youtube with Tim Donohue,  answered a question specifying that DSpace7 doesn't have the boolean search anymore but in the release notes it's mentioned that functionality in DSpace6 will be in later releases.

We are currently utilizing DSpace 6 and may want to go to DSpace 7 on the existing and possible future projects, however our requirements need to have the complex search.

The clients need to specify a not contained as part of their search.

Thank you,

Carol

DSpace Technical Support

Feb 25, 2022, 4:05:11 PM2/25/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Carol,

DSpace 7 does support basic Boolean searching, as it essentially supports most Lucene Query syntax: https://lucene.apache.org/core/2_9_4/queryparsersyntax.html

You can try this out on our demo site at https://demo7.dspace.org/

Here's a few examples which all look to work:

* "test" AND "dengue": https://demo7.dspace.org/search?query=test%20AND%20dengue (17 results)
* "test" OR "dengue":  https://demo7.dspace.org/search?query=test%20OR%20dengue (263 results)
* "test" NOT "dengue" : https://demo7.dspace.org/search?query=test%20NOT%20dengue (152 results)

Tim

Carol

Mar 1, 2022, 9:30:36 AM3/1/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Tim,  this helps a lot.
I'm sorry I have to ask this last question does DSpace 7 still have the Advance search  UI out of the box?
Thank you so much for your time,

Carol

Tim Donohue

Mar 1, 2022, 10:42:02 AM3/1/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Carol,

No, DSpace 7 doesn't have an "Advanced search UI" at this time.   Instead, if you want to use boolean searches, you have to type "AND", "OR" or "NOT" into the search box (this is similar to how one would perform advanced searches in Google).  In those scenarios, DSpace recognizes you are not searching for the word "AND" and instead uses it to perform a boolean search.

You can try it out on the demo site at https://demo7.dspace.org/  Try typing "test AND dengue" (don't include the quotes) in the search box.

Tim

al...@vt.edu

Mar 1, 2022, 11:39:29 AM3/1/22
to DSpace Technical Support
I don't see Advanced Search or Facets on https://demo7.dspace.org/home. I do see them in the Iowa State repository, https://dr.lib.iastate.edu/home, apparently hosted by Atmire, https://iastate-standby.atmire.com/home. Are the Facets and Advanced Search on the DSpace 7 road map? We have customized them quite a bit for our DSpace 6.3 installation.

Thanks,

Anne

Tim Donohue

Mar 1, 2022, 11:52:02 AM3/1/22
to al...@vt.edu, DSpace Technical Support
Hi Anne & all,

The DSpace 7 facets appear after you run a search. A search can be run either from the header (of any page) or the homepage.  For instance, once you run a search for "test" you'll be sent to this page: https://demo7.dspace.org/search?query=test

You'll see the filters & other settings after running a search.  This is similar behavior to DSpace 6, where you had to run a search before you could filter results of that search.

At this time, there's nothing specifically on the roadmap to create a more advanced search screen.  That said, as always, we do welcome contributions from anyone.  So, if someone wants to build an advanced search screen or hire a service provider to do so, we'd welcome the contribution back to DSpace 7 & we'd review it for possible inclusion in a future release.

That said, to be clear, the DSpace 7 search already provides the same features as DSpace 6 (along with some new features like searching on a date range).  It's just that the interface has changed.

For example, in DSpace 7, you can use boolean commands directly in the search box...and you can even search specific metadata fields directly in the search box, e.g. type in "dc.title:test" (no quotes) and you'll only find the word "test" in the "dc.title" field.

I hope that helps!  I do think it'd be great to provide more documentation on Advanced Search hints/tips.  I was hoping we'd be able to add that to the DSpace 7 User Facing documentation that the DSpace Community Advisory Team has been working towards.

Tim

Mar 1, 2022, 12:25:25 PM3/1/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Tim,

Thank you very much for your prompt and informative reply. That's great that the facets appear on the search results page. What seems missing, then, are the facets on the home page and collection pages on dspace demo. Facets do appear when I select the Theses and Dissertations collection from the collection list at Iowa State, https://dr.lib.iastate.edu/collections/0830d32e-14e1-4a4f-bb8f-271a75ed35af?scope=0830d32e-14e1-4a4f-bb8f-271a75ed35af. Would it be possible to have that behavior, where the facets would show without a search?

Anne

Tim Donohue

Mar 1, 2022, 12:49:57 PM3/1/22
to al...@vt.edu, DSpace Technical Support
Hi Anne,

At this time, we don't have any plans on the roadmap to add facets/filters on the homepage.  In DSpace 6, while those did exist in the XMLUI, they did not exist in the JSPUI.  We chose to model the JSPUI behavior in this scenario & went with a more simplistic/clean homepage, while enhancing the actual search features on the /search page.

It is possible to do an empty search to see every available filter/facet on the search page: https://demo7.dspace.org/search  (This is similar to what you would have seen in those global facets on the v6 homepage)

That said, as mentioned before, we do welcome contributions. So, if anyone wants to build this feature or hire a service provider to do so, it would be considered for a future release of DSpace.  Currently, the roadmap for 7.x is documented in the prioritized features list at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+7.0+Status#DSpaceRelease7.0Status-Whatfeaturesarecominginalater7.xrelease?7.x

Anything currently not listed in that priority listing would likely require someone deciding to donate the feature, as those are the prioritized features that Steering & Leadership voted on concentrating on for 7.x.

Tim

Sent: Tuesday, March 1, 2022 11:25 AM

To: DSpace Technical Support <dspac...@googlegroups.com>

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "DSpace Technical Support" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dspace-tech/04acf737-449d-44a3-99b2-0e73d8ae01f2n%40googlegroups.com.

Carol

Mar 7, 2022, 12:02:22 PM3/7/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Thanks Tim,

Since DSpace is written in Angular for the UI, is it possible to build our own search and then supply this information as a google type sting?

Carol

Tim Donohue

Mar 7, 2022, 12:29:53 PM3/7/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Hi Carol,

Sure, it's likely possible...it may require some Angular/Typescript code to work correctly.  Technically, all the backend pieces are already there...So, it should be more a matter of modifying the UI to look how you'd want it to look & craft the same sort of query to send to the backend.  I unfortunately haven't looked into this in great detail though, so I cannot provide more specific advice than that at this time.   That said, if you do find a way to create a more "advanced search" UI page, I suspect it would be nice to donate back to DSpace -- it sounds like at least one other institution is interested in this as well...and if there's two of you, there may be more.

Tim

Carol

Mar 8, 2022, 10:39:55 AM3/8/22
to DSpace Technical Support
Thank you Tim I really appreciate all the help, if I do this I will definitely do that.