Generate synthetic consisting of 3 phases

Hokon Kim

May 12, 2023, 3:13:33 PM5/12/23
to dream3d-users
Dear Dream.3D community,

Hello, I'm trying to generate synthetic consisting of 3 phases.

Based on tutorials in Youtube, I made a pipeline like attached.

If I checked the microstructure via Paraview, I can get the image like shown.

synthetic.png

However when I checked the array through Python,
(using h5py library to read dream.3d file,
['DataContainers']['SyntheticVolumeDataContainer']['CellData']['Phases'])

in the phase array, there are lot of numbers.

What I expected was just three numbers (1, 2, and 3 for each phase).

I would like to generate 3 phases based on given statistics, plus 3 phase numbers in phase array.

I want to know what I missed in my pipeline.

I appreciate your help.

Sincerely,
Hokon Kim
synthetic_3phases.json

Michael Jackson

May 15, 2023, 12:09:15 PM5/15/23
to Hokon Kim, dream3d-users
Dear Hokon Kim,
  For your example there should be 3 distinct values in the phases array: 1,2,3. The values are signed integers of 32 bit length. If there are different numbers than that please send a sample of the numbers of please send the pipeline file so that I can test here locally.

What version of DREAM.3D are you using and on which operating system?

Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software

Hokon Kim

May 15, 2023, 2:05:34 PM5/15/23
to dream3d-users
Currently, I'm using Dream.3D-6.5.171 on Windows 11.

After your comment, today when I re-import library and re-load the file and check the phase values via numpy library, there were only three values (1, 2, and 3).

I have another question.

After I export Dream.3D data, I expected the cubic would consist of three "Ellipsoid" phases.

What I attached in the previous post was polycrystal microstructure, so I would like to confirm that each phase looks "Ellipsoid".
(I cannot separate each phase via Paraview, in a current condition)

How can I check this?

ellipsoid.png

Michael Jackson

May 15, 2023, 3:19:57 PM5/15/23
to Hokon Kim, dream3d-users
Dear Hokon Kim,
   Please look at the attached image that should show you how to visualize each phase in ParaView.

Each grain should have been initially based off of an ellipsoid, for each phase.
--
Mike Jackson                    mike.j...@bluequartz.net
Principal DREAM.3D Developer

Screen Shot 2023-05-15 at 15.18.39.png

Hokon Kim

May 15, 2023, 4:39:33 PM5/15/23
to dream3d-users
I see.

However, I cannot get the small particles like you show.

If you don't mind, can you tell me the ESD parameters for two phases (in your attached image).

Or just json file would be good to me.

Thank you!

Michael Jackson

May 15, 2023, 5:06:18 PM5/15/23
to Hokon Kim, dream3d-users
I used the “(04) Two Phase cubic hexagonal Particles Equiaxed” prebuilt pipeline that comes with DREAM.3D. I did not make any changes to the pipeline.

Mike Jackson

Hokon Kim

May 19, 2023, 10:37:35 AM5/19/23
to dream3d-users
Thank you for your reply. I found the prebuilt pipeline in Dream.3D.

I have another question, still related to generating microstructures consisting of 3 phases.

If the component of microstructure is like below,

Phase 1 and 2: ellipsoid (representing for particles in an electrode, could be more phases later)

Phase 3: Not a particle, electrolyte (representing for electrolyte in an electrode)

How can I generate the microstructure like above?

Michael Jackson

May 19, 2023, 3:29:35 PM5/19/23
to Hokon Kim, dream3d-users
IF the electrolyte is more like a “Matrix” instead of some polycrystalline phase, then you could use a “Matrix Phase” in the StatsGenerator filter, and you will need to “insert matrix phase” filter after that.

Mike Jackson
BlueQuartz Software

Hokon Kim

May 23, 2023, 11:22:47 AM5/23/23
to dream3d-users
After your comment, I tried to make a microstructure consisting of "ellipsoid particle + Matrix" based on built-in "Single-cubic Phase equiaxed".

What I got is just one-phase cubic without any matrix. In addition, I cannot find the filter "insert matrix phase"... Do you mean "establish matrix phase"?

For your information, I attached the image (Single phase in Cubic) and json file for the pipeline.

I appreciate your help.

Thanks.

Sincerely,
Hokon Kim

SingleCubic.png
synthetic_40p_EllipsoidParticle_60p_Electrolyte.json

Hokon Kim

May 23, 2023, 5:09:10 PM5/23/23
to dream3d-users
Based on previous discussion (https://groups.google.com/g/dream3d-users/c/Cw1lTMuBeF0/m/ineY72qpAQAJ),

I tried "statsgnerator> initialize synthetic volume> estalbish shape types> Establish matrix phase >pack primary phases> find feature neghbors> match crystallography> generate ipf colors> wirte dream.3d data file."

But, red flag on "pack primary phases" was popped up. So, I cannot start pipeline.

I attached the json file for your information.
synthetic_40p_EllipsoidParticle_60p_Electrolyte_TEST.json

Michael Jackson

May 24, 2023, 12:40:43 PM5/24/23
to Hokon Kim, dream3d-users
Dear Hokon,
    I have looked into this issue by debugging through the source codes and it looks as if there is at least 1  bug that will prevent pipelines with multiple precipitate phases from working correctly. On top of that, once I fixed the logic error there is now a crashing bug that I am not currently setup to debug properly. I will have to try again another day on different hardware.

Mike Jackson

Hokon Kim

May 24, 2023, 1:42:23 PM5/24/23
to dream3d-users
Okay, please let me know how to fix it after it works properly.

I would like to generate a microstructure consisting of one particle (as primary phase) and one matrix (as matrix), eventually.

Thanks!

Sincerely,
Hokon Kim