draft sponsorship prospectus

Peter Baumgartner

Jan 6, 2015, 12:06:13 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Happy new year! I took some time today to put together a
draft/strawman sponsorship prospectus [1]. It's based on what has been
offered at PyCon and DjangoCon in the past. Before I start speaking
with potential sponsors, I'd love to get your feedback. Specifically,

* Do the prices look reasonable?
* Is it making any promises we can't fulfill?
* Are there other benefits we can/should offer?

I hope to finalize this next week.

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1louL732dF9Jf-1bSHmG-7y8Thb-1XVlsE5ZhCS-JsqI/edit

Thanks!

-- Pete

Jeff Triplett

Jan 6, 2015, 12:30:41 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Great start Peter! I'll add a few notes.

Regards,
Jeff

--

---

Markus Holtermann

Jan 6, 2015, 12:34:33 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Pete,

the draft looks fine from my perspective and experience I made during
EuroPython 2014 (I haven't been at PyCon or DjangoCon US before,
though). The prices are lower compared to owers, but this is
understandable due to the number of expected attendees.

I took the liberty to attached our sponsoring brochure. Maybe it gives
some ideas what we can offer potential sponsors.

Best,

Markus
>--
>
>---

sponsoring-europython-2014.pdf

Andrew Farrell

Jan 6, 2015, 2:09:41 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
One idea we might steal from PyConUK is to name rooms after high-level sponsors. That has the value proposition that folks end up repeating the sponsors name a bunch in talking to each other about where talks are.

Steve Holden

Jan 6, 2015, 5:49:49 PM1/6/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com

I still owe Jeff a financial summary of previous conferences and will attempt to produce it in then next seven days. Sounds like the first week in September at the Hilton will not be required?

---

Jeff Triplett

Jan 7, 2015, 6:55:36 AM1/7/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Steve, the Austin group looked at some alternative locations while we have been waiting for your financial information from previous DjangoCons. The Hilton looks like a pretty solid deal as long as we can make the numbers work out. The room rates seem to be the best value for attendees too. If we can get that next information next week then I think we can wrap the venue up pretty quickly.

Regards,
Jeff

Daniele Procida

Jan 9, 2015, 12:12:08 AM1/9/15
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015, Peter Baumgartner <pe...@lincolnloop.com> wrote:

>Happy new year! I took some time today to put together a
>draft/strawman sponsorship prospectus [1]. It's based on what has been
>offered at PyCon and DjangoCon in the past. Before I start speaking
>with potential sponsors, I'd love to get your feedback. Specifically,
>
>* Do the prices look reasonable?
>* Is it making any promises we can't fulfill?
>* Are there other benefits we can/should offer?

My comments:

* why not let *all* sponsors put a gift in the tote bags, not just the higher ones
* I'd make the scale simpler: $1000, $2000, $4000, $8000, $16000
* and a simpler rate of complimentary tickets (say, 1 per US2000 of sponsorship)
* for each level, show what it offers over the previous one; it makes it easier to compare them
* halve the number of words for each sponsor's advertisement, at least at the lower ends - 200 words is longer than you expect!

My main advice is to do anything you can to make it easy for yourselves to manage - which I think you seem to have done.

If you want to compare: <http://2015.djangocon.eu/sponsorship/> (I think we are going to add a new £8000 level though).

Daniele

Jeff Triplett

Jan 9, 2015, 11:42:29 PM1/9/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Great points Daniele and your suggested scale makes a lot of sense to me. I never understood why the complimentary tickets scaled the way they did but that makes more sense.

Markus, thank you for sharing the EuroPython sponsoring brochure. Overall, were you happy with your sponsorship results? I'm trying to come up with some goals for budgeting and I'm not quite sure what's realistic yet.

Regards,
Jeff

--

---

Jeff Triplett

Jan 9, 2015, 11:44:10 PM1/9/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Andrew,

Are you suggesting that we add that as a value-added to the top tier or should it be an add-on?

Regards,
Jeff

Russell Keith-Magee

Jan 10, 2015, 3:13:14 AM1/10/15
On Sat, Jan 10, 2015 at 12:41 PM, Jeff Triplett <jeff.t...@gmail.com> wrote:
Great points Daniele and your suggested scale makes a lot of sense to me. I never understood why the complimentary tickets scaled the way they did but that makes more sense.

I'm not completely sure what the old scale was, but I can think of one reason why the scale wouldn't' be linear - to encourage upselling. The aim would be to stimulate the internal conversation of "Well, we can send 2 people if we sponsor at $4000, but if we sponsor at $6000, we can send 4". That way, we get 2 more attendees, and while the individual tickets for the extra 2 would in reality be cheaper, they're probably coming from a different budget (promotion vs education), so we end up getting more money for those 2 extra attendees than we otherwise would.

Of course, I'm saying this without any concrete experience running a sponsorship program (DjangoCon AU sponsorship is all handled for us by the PyCon AU team) - I'm just aware that corporate budget math isn't always linear.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)

Markus Holtermann

Jan 10, 2015, 7:55:39 AM1/10/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jeff,

On Fri, Jan 09, 2015 at 10:41:48PM -0600, Jeff Triplett wrote:
>Markus, thank you for sharing the EuroPython sponsoring brochure. Overall,
>were you happy with your sponsorship results? I'm trying to come up with
>some goals for budgeting and I'm not quite sure what's realistic yet.

from what I've heard the sponsors were happy with what they got. I'll
get in touch with the sponsoring team for a more detailed feedback.

A few more thoughts:

* The most important thing though: we were able to put the booths right
in the paths the attendees had to take from one lecture room to the
other. When you changed a room you almost always had to pass some
sponsoring booths.

* We created an additional F.A.Q. with questions we didn't put into the
brochure: https://ep2014.europython.eu/en/sponsors/sponsoring-faq/
Our experience: different labels on packages for different use cases
don't work. Almost none of the packages had the right or a label at
all.

Best,

/Markus

Andrew Farrell

Jan 10, 2015, 10:50:02 AM1/10/15
to djangocon-...@googlegroups.com
I suspect it makes more sense as a top-tier benefit, but see no reason why
it couldn't be sold separately.

- Andrew

Peter Baumgartner

Jan 13, 2015, 2:01:24 PM1/13/15
On Thursday, January 8, 2015 at 10:12:08 PM UTC-7, Daniele Procida wrote:
On Tue, Jan 6, 2015, Peter Baumgartner <pe...@lincolnloop.com> wrote:

>Happy new year! I took some time today to put together a
>draft/strawman sponsorship prospectus [1]. It's based on what has been
>offered at PyCon and DjangoCon in the past. Before I start speaking
>with potential sponsors, I'd love to get your feedback. Specifically,
>
>* Do the prices look reasonable?
>* Is it making any promises we can't fulfill?
>* Are there other benefits we can/should offer?

My comments:

* why not let *all* sponsors put a gift in the tote bags, not just the higher ones
* I'd make the scale simpler: $1000, $2000, $4000, $8000, $16000

* and a simpler rate of complimentary tickets (say, 1 per US2000 of sponsorship)

I'm concerned this will eat into the budget too much. We could be giving away $4k worth of tickets at the high end. I think it's ok to not have them scale equally with the sponsorship level. It implies that the other benefits received are worth more.

-- Pete