George Church video conf 03 Feb in a few days ...

Dan Kolis

Jan 31, 2023, 4:06:13 PM1/31/23
to DIYbio
Hello group,

On 3 Feb George Church is going to in a CONF about making synonyms of DNA to avoid deseases in Humans. The idea is pick DNA recoded using the synonym's so it differs but makes the same proteins... or -does it really- Epigentics !!! , Post mRNA changes, etc

Seems to work some, anyway.... in loose one of cells...

A Blurb for the event this attached.

Ive tried day after day to get a ZOOM Ticket but get 404ed and stalls over and over. If anybody succeeds on this URL please tell me, maybe its not close enough to the moment, or something ?

https://ubc.zoom.us/meeting/register/u5YvdOivqzwuGdMAWCUpbj-iq6lYFgCyPTJG

If this interest you enough to try to get the ZOOM invite and it either works or doesn't please poke in a note here.

Still a few days to go,  thick kicks on Friday.

Regards,
Daniel B Kolis

GC.png

Dan Kolis

Jan 31, 2023, 7:11:27 PM1/31/23
to DIYbio

Bryan B. said:
" His group has previously talked about this work at other conferences" :
https://diyhpl.us/wiki/transcripts/hgp-write/2016-05-10/recoding-ecoli-to-57-codons/

Thank you Bryan for this fine URL. that 50 minutes was a few speakers right on this subject. its 3 of 10 variable length communications from Harvard 2021....

HCP-WRITE open house pretty much....

First one is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GAuQ7Fs3WMU&list=PLHpV_30XFQ8R2Kpcc1pwwXsFnJOCQVndt&index=3

The videos are sort of self concatenating. The first:

 The Hi you all... is just 7 minutes. Would give you an idea what you want to watch among this sizable batch.

THANKS, I liked it a lot, learned a fair amount too,

Daniel B Kolis

Message has been deleted

Hong Xuan Chai

Feb 1, 2023, 7:47:37 AM2/1/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot for sharing the link. The link works for me.

Regards,
Chai

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/diybio/11a49f4e-05d0-4f02-a061-9674a7f50e44n%40googlegroups.com.

Dan Kolis

Feb 1, 2023, 10:12:32 AM2/1/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com

Hong Xuan Chai said:
> Thanks a lot for sharing the link. The link works for me.

Thank you, this helps a lot. I will try again without a fussy firewall in the way today when it gets > 10 C. A walk to a library will be just great  I am assuming it generated a credential that is what you mean by 'works' not simply displayed the page !

( Toronto ) / Thank you,
Daniel B Kolis

Hong Xuan Chai

Feb 1, 2023, 9:31:04 PM2/1/23
to diy...@googlegroups.com
Yes, received a registration confirmation email with Zoom link. =)

Learn more at www.diybio.org
---

Dan Kolis

Feb 1, 2023, 10:06:59 PM2/1/23
to DIYbio

On Wed, Feb 1, 2023 Hong X C  said:
Yes, received a registration confirmation email with Zoom link. =)

 Thank you.

Regards,
Daniel B Kolis

Dan Kolis

Feb 2, 2023, 10:07:13 PM2/2/23
to DIYbio
Meeting Registration Approved
UBC Life Sciences Joint Seminar | FRIDAY, FEBRUARY 3 | Dr. George Church| Zoom, 3-4 PM
Feb 3, 2023 03:00 PM in Pacific Time (US and Canada)

Hi

Remember to check you time zone this is 15:00 to 16:00 PST on Friday

Dan Kolis

Feb 3, 2023, 7:40:54 PM2/3/23
to DIYbio

The University of B.C. update was well attended as er ( judging by ZOOM video of the hall ) and 71 participants on Zoom. Hard to guess out, not too important, lets say 100 people or so ?

The slide deck was probably a mostly generic "What I am doing , what we are doing" and maybe some pulled out, etc to focus it on DNA tinkering of all kinds to increase quality of life in humans from first principles. Dr. C. Strayed into other areas about state of the art 'whatever' maybe 1/3 of the hour, which is pretty much perfect I'd say with lots of good slides with named persons everywhere and many companies this work generated. Chat up about making a near Mastodon, for instance, Xeno transplant pig to human heart, etc.

A few questions where asked, and answered. George C. was the only person on the speakers end, no usual banter politeness, which is cool but you know it is a delay of sorts too. Solid technology of life stuff, not much about regulation or ethics, etc.

In the unlikely case you don't know the general notions, this URL might help:
https://www.science.org/content/article/rewritten-genetic-code-allows-bacteria-fend-viral-attacks

However Dr. C.'s presentation was mostly Homo S or E Coli alone as organisms for the work itself.. Edits to target genome has has as many as 24K edits to the B.P.  Generally, three passes have been executed to get to enough reach there was no point in a 4th kick at it.

When a touched up rerecorded session is made and the URL posted, I will add it as a note here.

Regards,
Daniel B Kolis

my ref: 03 Feb 2023, GChurch, nafl, UofBc,  https://groups.google.com/g/diybio/c/NDpHyx9IoRY

Dan Kolis

Feb 4, 2023, 4:00:28 PM2/4/23
to DIYbio

It seems likely there is no video capture available of the event, unfortunately.

I will poke away at this possibility anyway between now and Wednesday. Its currently Saturday, so emails to officey types etc at Univ of BC won't connect for 2 days, anyway.

Too bad;  Of the many You tube videos of G. Church, There doesn't seem to be anything out there as focused as tinkering deep to avoid disease, really. Not as up to the moment, anyway. Plus the bit of side talk up to date on the Elephant upgrading, etc was interesting.

I will watch and in the unlikely even it is snaggable poke a note here.