PSA: WebRTC M96 Release Notes

Huib Kleinhout

Nov 15, 2021, 4:39:19 AM11/15/21
to discuss...@googlegroups.com

WebRTC M96 Release Notes

Branch: WebRTC M96 branch

Summary

WebRTC M96, which will soon start rolling out to Stable, contains 2 new features and over 11 bug fixes, enhancements and stability/performance improvements. We encourage all developers to run versions of Chrome on the Canary, Dev, and Beta channels frequently and quickly report any issues found. Please take a look at this page, for some pointers on how to file a good bug report. The help we have received has been invaluable!

Note that the WebRTC release notes only cover WebRTC specific changes. Follow the Chromium and Chrome releases blog for further updates on important changes in Chrome releases.

We strongly recommend WebRTC developers to fully test their services in Chrome beta to ensure stability for end-users.

The Chrome release schedule can be found here

PSAs

Title

Description

Plan B deprecation

Plan B SDP will become unavailable in M96 stable unless websites have signed up for the time-limited reverse origin trial. See this PSA

dcSCTP

The rollout of the DcSCTP library for the SCTP transport resumes in M96. PSA

Highlights

Support for RFC 2198 redundancy

Audio redundancy for OPUS using RED is now available. See the PSA for details.

Features and Bugfixes

Type

Issue

Description

Component

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/10569

Implement RTCIceCandidatePairStats.packetsSent and packetsReceived

Stats

Feature

http://bugs.webrtc.org/10739

Add support for the abs-capture-time header extension.

Network>RTP

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/12169

setCodecPreferences API selects duplicate video codec payload type

Feature

http://bugs.webrtc.org/12614

dcSCTP

DataChannel

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13129

dcSCTP may close connection during the RTCPeerConnection's lifetime

DataChannel

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13152

Pipewire desktop capturer uses unrestricted Pipewire socket

DesktopCapture

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13171

Failure to add video receive stream if default stream created from non-primary SSRC

Video

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13178

Potential issue with RED fmtp payload type reference

Audio,PeerConnection

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13183

Encountered raw pointer to webrtc::RtpTransceiverInterface, fails RTC_DCHECK_RUN_ON assert

Network>RTP,PeerConnection

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13192

xdg-desktop-portal 1.10.0 breaks pipewire desktop sharing support

DesktopCapture

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13217

Some DCSCTP callbacks not invoked when expected

DataChannel

Bug

http://bugs.webrtc.org/13239

Improve efficiency of PipeWire capturer