KompoZer – WYSIWYG HTML Editor

Randy C

Dec 26, 2022, 1:50:25 PM12/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com, state...@googlegroups.com
Hello all,

While looking at https://usgenweb.org/tutorials/tips.html I saw a
link to KompoZer:

"a complete web authoring system that combines web file management
and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing capability to help users
start a website"

The idea of "web file management" sounds good to me.

It is older but I am staying on Windows7 anyway.

Is anybody using this software on their sites? Or does anyone have an
opinion on it?

--
Randy C
GenWeb Volunteer

Pat Asher

Dec 26, 2022, 2:27:44 PM12/26/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Randy, I code by hand now, but used Kompozer for many years. It writes clean HTML and some basic CSS. It can also be used to insert some javascripts if you have them.

Pat Asher

bwand...@gmail.com

Dec 27, 2022, 3:37:35 PM12/27/22
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Randy

KompoZer is still available, but does not have any support. The last programmer supporting it quit doing so in about 2010 and claimed that it still had some bugs to sort out. You can try it if you like. I might add that I never tried the software and can't speak of its editing capabilities. I have reviewed several editors in the past and always migrated back to Dreamweaver (you have to pay Adobe now for a copy although they are no longer upgrading it). There are 12 free editors reviewed on the following link with comments on pros and cons.

https://www.hostinger.com/tutorials/best-code-editors

I've tested three of them in the past; Atom, CoffeeCup HTML Editor and Bluefish. I didn't like the setup for Atom and had some difficulty performing the editing I am accustomed to doing in an editor. Bluefish was also not to my liking. I really liked the CoffeeCup editor and still use it for the speed in modifying multiple pages with the same code change. It is a good editor for HTML and the $29 premium version is even better.

I hope this helps in your quest for an editor that meets your needs.

Bryant

Randy C

Dec 28, 2022, 12:01:26 PM12/28/22
to Discuss-L

Thank you for the help. I think I am coding "by hand", I have been using just notepad++, and I don't think I am using all of it functionality, just editing, copy/pasting, now that I think about it.

I tried bluefish a few years ago and never got into it. I guess I will try out Kompozer and Coffeecup and see if they help with site management, although while I have been looking into this, I realized that it would be nice to have a preview screen on the editor, that would make for a lot less clicking around!

Thanks Again
Randy