WWI Navy Question Follow Up

Joseph Felice

Dec 6, 2023, 8:38:09 PM12/6/23
to disc...@googlegroups.com
Dear Sir or Madam,

I first contacted you in May 2022, regarding research I was conducting on my great-grandfather John Faulkner.  Below is the first article I authored about his life after learning he was a member of the Emergency Fleet:

Most recently, I published another article about his life and the tugboat he worked on in 1920 at the Philadelphia Navy Yard:

Corey Stewart, an Archivist with the National Archives in St. Louis searched the Coast Guard, Navy Military Files, Navy Civilian Personnel Folders, Navy Civilian Service Record Cards, Civil Service Cards, Civilian War Department Folders, Merchant Marine Licensing Files and Merchant Marine Enrollee Files.  She did not find John in any of their records.

Nathan Jordan, an Archivist in Atlanta, found a WWI Classification List stating that John joined the Emergency Fleet in 1917/1918.

Do you know how I can learn more about the tugboat Samoset?  The Emergency Fleet?

Also, Wendy Coble, an historian with the Department of Transportation informed me that in 1915 one needed to earn a certificate in order to be able to work aboard a tugboat.

The National Archives in St. Louis holds these certificates but could not find one for John.  Do you know where else they may be stored?

Please view the enclosed jpeg image.  It shows a sample of a certificate that was issued to tugboat engineers.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Joe Felice

Tugboat Certificate.jpg

Randy C

Jan 3, 2024, 4:12:25 PMJan 3
to Discuss-L
Hello Joe,

I keep forgetting to respond here. Those are great articles you shared.

I just wondered if you have ever tried asking on the "Roots-L" list?

It has been around forever and they are a wide variety of genealogy folks: https://groups.io/g/roots-l

I hope they can help
Randy