Important POLL from USGenWeb National Coordinator

webmaster

Mar 19, 2024, 8:09:22 PMMar 19
to state...@googlegroups.com, disc...@googlegroups.com, usgenw...@googlegroups.com, usgenweb...@googlegroups.com, usgen...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com
PLEASE FORWARD TO ALL STATE LISTS

USGenWeb Members,

We would like to send the attached letter to Ancestry.com Legal Dept. to request the removal of sites that carry our registered service marks, and we request your feedback by 3/25/2024. Your opinion and Project support MATTERS!

-------------
Our RW Migration project was successful! We moved over 150 websites from RootsWeb and have only 4 counties left to go! It was a huge effort and MANY members went above and beyond to make this a success. I am very proud of how our Project pulled togetherTHANK YOU!

USGenWeb members also donated ~$1K to renew the registration of 2 service marks with USPTO during my first term as NC. Now RootsWeb is read-only and I believe we should try to leverage our legal standing and assert ownership of our registered service marks to request the removal of our old sites from RootsWeb, Ancestry.com, and any current or future backup sites or publications. I contend that the continued publication of the old abandoned static sites carrying our service marks is damaging to our brand. Long-abandoned sites with bad emails and broken links make it look like we are GONE - but WE ARE STILL HERE!

Should we send the attached letter to Ancestry.com (via registered snail mail)? . Please send feedback and suggested edits to the various Project lists, to me, or any AB member by 3/25/2024https://www.usgenweb.org/about/advisoryboard.html

Every opinion matters!

Thank you for your support of our Project,

Linda K. Lewis
National Coordinator
The USGenWeb® Project
Free Genealogy for over 25 Years!

RW Initial Request.pdf

Rebecca Maloney

Mar 21, 2024, 9:35:10 AMMar 21
to webmaster, state...@googlegroups.com, disc...@googlegroups.com, usgenw...@googlegroups.com, usgenweb...@googlegroups.com, usgen...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com, usgw...@googlegroups.com
My states say send the letter!

Rebecca Maloney
Volunteer with USGenWeb