Powerfab 125WT Paint

David Chandler

Sep 15, 2012, 3:07:31 AM9/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Hi All
 Can anybody tell me the BS or RAL code for the paint on a Powerfab 125WT  (I would think all Powerfabs 125 are the same) or which is the nearest colour.
PS and any source of paint worth knowing

Dave C
Chesterfield

George Shaw

Sep 15, 2012, 4:16:35 AM9/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Folks, what ball park figure would a total hydraulic re-hose be for a
Smalley 425? UK/Ireland prices preferred, and who would you recomend?

I am not needing or thinking of doing it any way soon but was interested
in what could be the cost involved if I do decide to do a total restore
on mine. And what sort of cost is a re-furb of a hydraulic ram? new
seals etc. (depends on size I guess).

George

Anthony Skilton

Sep 15, 2012, 5:35:47 AM9/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Hi Dave
I found a bright orange, that turned out to be more of a yellow, on ebay a couple of years ago. That paint is no longer for sale but I've just sourced ebay Item number: 320766110098  who sell a good range it would seem. Buying cellulose thinners by the 5l tin is cost effective too. I've attached a picture of my Powerfab with the paint mentioned.
 Anthony

IMG_7302.JPG

Chris Selwyn-Smith

Sep 15, 2012, 3:05:10 PM9/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com, David Chandler
I came across these paints the other day and immediately thought of the orange for doing the Powerfab.

http://www.decoratingdirect.co.uk/viewprod/t/TORMACHEN/

Chris

rspb...@aol.com

Sep 15, 2012, 7:11:31 PM9/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Dave,
Are you just painting sections or repainting the whole unit?

My 125w is lighter than the 125wtd that I've got.
Mostly due to paint fade I would think.
Due to the fact I was going to do a full rebuild on my 125w the colour exact match was less important anti rust was more.

Got mine from Cromadex, I'll have to let you know the colour on Monday.

Colour chart:
Primer:
Link to 125w:

if your just painting sections then I know the DIY places like b&q do a paint match service, you could just get some exterior gloss.

Just take a small panel clean perhaps t cut and give it a go..

Done that for a few machines at work, normally not a bad match.

What you have to bear in mind now is the lead has been removed from paint , so it's lost a lot of the covering depth, the brighter the colour the more coat it will need.
Regards Rob

David Chandler

Sep 16, 2012, 3:32:57 AM9/16/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
My intentions were to start a partial rebuild, section by section over the winter, my only big problem I have is that it is a working machine (well neglected) I use frequently during a self build, landscaping, etc .....oh and looking after neighbours who all want holes digging
So the paint needs to be a fairly near match, I would brush paint most, with some sections sprayed. Would a 'B&Q' matched gloss stand up to the demand?

Dave C
Chesterfield

Anthony Skilton

Sep 16, 2012, 6:19:36 AM9/16/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com

Rspblake

Sep 16, 2012, 8:30:25 AM9/16/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
I've found most of the colour matched paint good, they just take a little longer to go really hard,  week or so, they dry the same speed, but you can press a point and leave a mark.
Saying that you can always give it a second coat  if you have the paint a bit later, I would of thought exterior paint have to be to a standard who every makes it.

George Shaw

Sep 16, 2012, 9:30:59 AM9/16/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
Most if not all car paint places will mix to any sample you provide and will supply a one part poly that is tough as old boots or a two pack that is really hard wearing but nasty stuff to spray. Our local shop does a two pack brush on finish that is like granite when applied and lasts wet long enough to apply with roller then tip out. Check out the boat suppliers for a boat paint, again roller applied and tipped out. End of season lots of bargains to be had. Use a good primer.

 Would a 'B&Q' matched gloss stand up to the demand?

not really.

george

RichS

Sep 17, 2012, 4:12:52 AM9/17/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com, David Chandler

Hi Dave, I guess I could write a book on this subject without any real conclusion !  Although I am a recent joiner of this digger community I have restored quite a bit of old garden machinery for years now.  I'm guessing that you are interested in the Orange colour.  I previously had concentrated my searches on Howard / Suffolk equipments etc.

I did an internet search on agricultural paints and got mixed stories between brands/types and whether brush/spray application and compatibility.  Some dried too slowly and some lacked colour.  Just recently however I moved on a lot with this as I got a Powerfab 1250 and decided to start smartening it up – I think Powerfab used the same Orange or probably whatever they had on the shelf at the time.  It may not be that easy to match as your present colour may have dulled/matted through weathering/time so it’s not easy to really know where to start from.

One Company/website that was really useful  was http://www.promain.co.uk/product/search_id2000  where they were really helpful on the phone.  The site shows lots of shades that is difficult to match from the PC screen but they did advise well.  A lot will come down to the preparation/primering etc.  If you are doing a complete repaint that is fine, but if touching up it can be patchy and definitely important to primer accordingly (grey or white I would suggest).

In the end, getting frustrated, and wanting just to get on and paint (funnily enough something else recently, a mini dumper truck), not wanting to do a mail order, I came across a local trade/professional  paint supplier http://www.thamescoatings.co.uk/ and spoke to them.  They were knowledgeable could mix either a Hitachi or Kubota Orange same day so I went and bought a 2.5Litre tin for £50 and it’s been fine.  A bit of a sheen/gloss type shine, easy to brush and takes a few hours to dry and not too bad a match.  It seems quite durable and I will go on to smarten up the digger now as well.  I chose the Hitachi Orange option which was referenced AE154S/2.5 Alkyd Brush Topcoat Strong Colour 2.5Ltr Hitachi Orange Gloss.  My feeling is that I have now plumped for that and will use that as ‘my standard orange’ now and can move forward.  You can probably find Howard/Hitachi/Kubota etc Oranges from many suppliers/ebay in fact but google for reviews just in case.

Hope this may help, and not confuse further !
Rich

david r g knox

Oct 15, 2012, 1:02:06 PM10/15/12
to diggers-du...@googlegroups.com
I do not know how much the renewal of all of the 425 hoses would cost, mine are all as good as the first day, maybe a little surface brittle just like any rubber exposed to UV from the sun.

I bent the bucket operating ram of mine recently and as the barrel was heavily scored it needed a new barrel, ram and all associated seals. I had it purpose made in Dublin, they removed the ends off the old as well as the connections and made me an entirely new one for 400 Euro. It fitted perfectly and works perfectly. I thought it was expensive, the entire 425 cost me less than 4 rams 8 or 9 years ago !!

It is my favourite toy as well as a great producer when needed. It always starts even after lying up for weeks on end.

Robin.

George