Shell is already running a gui event loop for qt5.

Giorgia Cariati

Feb 8, 2024, 10:29:03 AMFeb 8
to diffpy-users
Goodmorning everyone,
I tried to run the pdfgetx3 command but I have obtained the following error:
INFO:calling config_xray
Installed qt5 event loop hook.
Shell is already running a gui event loop for qt5. Call with no arguments to disable the current loop.
Using matplotlib backend: Qt5Agg
INFO:started PDF processing.

A white window opens, but there's no plot in it.
I have python 3.8.18

Thank you in advance
Giorgia

Simon Billinge

Feb 13, 2024, 9:24:16 AMFeb 13
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
Dear Giorgia, Sorry for your difficulties.  I am not sure your  issue, but there was an earlier thread about a qt5agg issue, so I not sure if this may help:

Simon Billinge
Professor,
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
Columbia University

María Curria

Jun 18, 2024, 10:03:50 AMJun 18
to diffpy-users
Hi Georgia,

I am having the same issue, where you able to fix it?

Federico Bianconi

Jun 18, 2024, 10:25:17 AMJun 18
to diffpy-users
Hi Maria!

If you are running one of the latest versions of pdfgetx3 on Windows, you might have encountered the same issue that also me and my colleagues had. It should be something related to the Windows powershell and the matplotlib library, which end to show a blank window instead of the interactive one. By now, I have managed this problem by creating a linux virtual machine in WSL and installing pdfgetx3 in there with a dedicated python environment (I use pyenv) it works fine.

I link you also a previous discussion of one of my colleague who had the same concern.
https://groups.google.com/g/diffpy-users/c/JnNtepCD6so

Cheers,

Federico Bianconi

Simon Billinge

Jun 20, 2024, 8:53:53 AM (12 days ago) Jun 20
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
as a general comment, we are working hard this summer to try and bring most all the group software up to latest specs and hope to have fixes in place for most things.

It is super helpful to us to get the bug reports and issues reported so we really thank the community for that (and keep them coming).