Conflicts between pdfgetx, matplotlib 3.7 and qt on windows

Marco Vandone

May 10, 2024, 7:53:36 AMMay 10
to diffpy-users
Hi all,
While trying to help some Windows users install pdfgetx3, we experienced some problems.
Following the guide for pfgetx3 installation on conda, we noticed that once we ran the tests, multiple errors came up, most likely due to the set_windows_title method of matplotlib. (Fig1) Looking at my working installation on Mac, I noticed that in my environment, I have matplotlib 3.5, so we downgraded this package from 3.7 (which is installed by default) to 3.5, and the problems seem to be solved: now tests run with no errors. Trying to launch pdfgetx with config files, we can successfully generate all the output files, but the tuneconfig() and the interactive GUI don't load, showing the pyqt-matplotlib window without any data displayed. (Fig2)
Any suggestions? Thank you
I have never experienced any problems while using the same procedures on a Mac.

Esmael Balaghi

May 10, 2024, 10:18:48 AMMay 10
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Marco,
From the error message, it seems like matplotlib 3.7 removed set_window_title. I guess downgrading matplotlib to 3.5 with conda install matplotlib=3.5 can solve the issue.
Best,
Esmael

Simon Billinge

May 10, 2024, 10:48:07 AMMay 10
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
Thanks so much for the bug report.  We are aware of this bug (I think there was a previous discussion about it in diffpy-users).  We are working on a bug-fix atm.  Please use this workaround of downgrading matplotlib until we have that pushed out.

Thanks again for the detailed report, it really helps us to keep the codes in good shape.

Simon Billinge
Professor,
Department of Applied Physics and Applied Mathematics
Columbia University

Adeel Zafar

May 10, 2024, 10:51:55 AMMay 10
to diffpy...@googlegroups.com
Greetings
I was facing a similar problem. Then I figured it out and it was never a problem again.
Thank you
Regards
Adeel Zafar

Marco Vandone

May 10, 2024, 11:40:17 AMMay 10
to diffpy-users
I see. Indeed we downgraded to matplotlib3.5 and we obtained the output files with no problems but still the interactive GUI remains stacked.
We will wait for updates
Thank you so much!

Marco Vandone

Jun 25, 2024, 9:27:39 AM (7 days ago) Jun 25
to diffpy-users
On this topic,
it seems that installing it in a conda env with python 3.7 solves this problem although in same cases we still have the pyqt window opened trying to load the data (blank window with loading cursor)
we don't have any warning or error message though.