Speak up for net neutrality

DelawareCounty.eCycle

Oct 19, 2009, 9:13:40 PM10/19/09
to delawarec...@googlegroups.com
I don't usually send things like this, but this is important to all of us who depend on the internet for accurate information.

What is Net Neutrality, you ask?

Here's what Wikipedia says:
"...Telecom companies seek to impose a tiered service model in order to control the pipeline and thereby remove competition, create artificial scarcity, and oblige subscribers to buy their otherwise uncompetitive services. Many believe net neutrality to be primarily important as a preservation of current freedoms...At its simplest network neutrality is the principle that all Internet traffic should be treated equally."  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Net_neutrality

Without net neutrality, the people with the most money can make their sites easier to access than everyone else's.

Sometimes politicians need to be reminded whom they really work for. Now is one of those times.

On Friday, Rep. Michael Arcuri put the interests of telecom lobbyists ahead of yours by signing a letter to the FCC opposing the agency's efforts to protect Net Neutrality.

Rep. Arcuri was hoping we wouldn’t notice this deception. Well, we did. Congress was elected to represent you, not AT&T.

Send the FCC a Message: Rep. Arcuri Doesn’t Speak for Me

We’re gathering 10,000 signatures from constituents of Rep. Arcuri and other representatives who buckled to telecom industry pressure. We need you to send the FCC an urgent message of support for Net Neutrality.

Sign this letter and then tell your friends and neighbors to do the same.

The big phone and cable companies have launched an all-out assault to stop Net Neutrality. They've hired hundreds of lobbyists, spent tens of millions of dollars, and unleashed sleazy Astroturf groups to mislead politicians, distort the facts and resurrect long-debunked myths.

They’re scrambling to stop the FCC from even beginning to discuss rules to make Net Neutrality the rule of the road. It's vitally important that the FCC take up this action to protect Net Neutrality as planned.

Tell the FCC to Stand Firm on Net Neutrality

Some members of Congress aren’t listening to the people they represent. We must remind them whom they really work for. Let’s send them a strong message today, and guarantee an open Internet for generations to come.

Thank you,

Misty Perez Truedson
Campaign Manager
Free Press
www.freepress.net
www.savetheinternet.com

You  are receiving this e-mail as an opt-in subscriber to Free Press' E-activist Network.

--
Share an item, share a thought:

DelawareCounty.eCycle - the first freecycling group for our big neighborhood
http://groups.google.com/group/delawarecountyecycle

Delaware.County.Cafe'
http://groups.google.com/group/delawarecountycafe