Privacy Policy and Terms of Use Display

Sherry Lake

Oct 1, 2015, 4:12:51 PM10/1/15
to Dataverse Users Community
I found in the Configuration Settings where the "ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl" is set, but where does this show up in Dataverse?

And the "General Terms of Use" shows up when a user creates a Dataverse Account (sign up), but where is this set (assuming it's a URL and not the same as "ApplicationPrivacyPolicyURL")?

Thanks.
Sherry Lake              shl...@virginia.edu
Scholarly Repository Librarian
University of Virginia Library

Philip Durbin

Oct 1, 2015, 4:52:36 PM10/1/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
It should be displayed in the footer at the bottom of the page: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1547#issuecomment-83272298

Sherry Lake

Oct 2, 2015, 12:32:52 PM10/2/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu

How about the "General  Terms of Use"?

when a user creates a Dataverse Account (sign up), but where is this set (assuming it's a URL and not the same as "ApplicationPrivacyPolicyURL")?

BUT
The privacy link is not showing up on the bottom. Here is a screenshot of Harvard Dataverse (of course latest release):

--
Sherry

On Thu, Oct 1, 2015 at 4:12 PM, Sherry Lake <shla...@gmail.com> wrote:
I found in the Configuration Settings where the "ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl" is set, but where does this show up in Dataverse?

And the "General Terms of Use" shows up when a user creates a Dataverse Account (sign up), but where is this set (assuming it's a URL and not the same as "ApplicationPrivacyPolicyURL")?

Thanks.
Sherry Lake              shl...@virginia.edu
Scholarly Repository Librarian
University of Virginia Library

Philip Durbin

Oct 2, 2015, 2:14:56 PM10/2/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hmm, can you please post the output of the following command?

curl http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl

Here's the output on my machine (pretty printed with `jq`):

{
  "status": "OK",
  "data": {
    "message": "http://best-practices.dataverse.org/harvard-policies/harvard-privacy-policy.html"
  }
}

Also... thanks for pointing out that we never documented how to set the General Terms of Use! I just corrected this in https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/commit/a2109dc so it will appear in a future version of the guides but here's a copy/paste of what I wrote:

ApplicationTermsOfUse

Upload a text file containing the Terms of Use to be displayed at sign up.

curl -X PUT -d@/tmp/apptou.html http://localhost:8080/api/admin/settings/:ApplicationTermsOfUse

While I was in there, I also noted that the privacy privacy policy is linked from the bottom of the page.

Does this help?

We could certainly use help improving our Installation Guide. http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/documentation.html has some information on getting started and I'll remind everyone (once again) of the  Installation Guide improvement and reorganisation proposal at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/qujUFJDYXG0/0BhECCp0HQAJ . Comments on the Google doc in that thread would be very usefl so we know what would be helpful to people when installing Dataverse. Here's a direct link: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLky44JbtCNhGuavLXGEP8WPNdjbyHNxalEGjR78MaA/edit?usp=sharing

Phil

[...]

Sherry Lake

Oct 2, 2015, 2:55:37 PM10/2/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
My command:

curl http://dataverse.lib.virginia.edu:8080/api/admin/settings/:ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl

Output

  "status":"ERROR",
  "message":"Setting :ApplicationPrivacyPolicyUrl not found"
}

So, are you saying that it has to be set before it appears at the bottom? There isn't a default?

I'll be glad to share what I am documenting about installing and configuring an institutional-hosted dataverse. I'm still putting things together, but I am sure what I have uncovered/discovered would help others in this process.

Thanks, Phil.
--
Sherry Lake

Philip Durbin

Oct 2, 2015, 3:30:00 PM10/2/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
But you probably don't want Harvard's privacy policy! You should substitute a link to your own. :)

Please let us know if this works for you.

Phil

p.s. I'm sure your notes *will* be helpful! :)

Philip Durbin

Oct 7, 2015, 11:09:48 AM10/7/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Sherry,

Were you able to set your privacy policy URL? I'm hoping I can mark this thread as "answered". :)

Phil

Sherry Lake

Oct 7, 2015, 4:27:26 PM10/7/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

Yes, I was able to set the Privacy Policy URL.

But I have been having trouble with setting the ApplicationTermsofUse. Looks like the api command only takes a text file? I was successful getting an unformatted text file to display. But how do I get a  nicely formatted display like is found on Harvard's Create account page?

--
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Oct 7, 2015, 4:51:20 PM10/7/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Can you please try putting HTML in the text file? That's what we do.

Sherry Lake

Oct 8, 2015, 10:18:00 AM10/8/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,

After lots of detective work, I figured out what the problem was or at least how to make it work. You can mark this question answered.

The Privacy Policy link now shows up AND I have UVa Terms of use in the General Terms of Use box.

For the html file, I was using text that had been copied and pasted from a browser to an editor and it seems that some character strings were not copying correctly (or maybe it was the CR-LF UNIX issue?). Anyway, when I created a new html file using "vi" from scratch (and not copying and pasting), the file was readable and it worked.

Thanks again!!
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Oct 8, 2015, 10:32:56 AM10/8/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Heh. Good ol' vi. I love it so. Please do feel free to open an issue if you think there's a bug related to uploading HTML files to set the Terms of Use. I see some chatter about line endings and PostgreSQL at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/1752#issuecomment-93738971 that might be related.

You might be able to use dos2unix to convert line endings. On my Mac I installed it with homebrew. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix2dos also lists some one-liners that might help.

Anyway, I'm glad you got it working! Phew! Please don't forget to comment on the Installation Guide reorg proposal while all this is fresh in your mind! https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLky44JbtCNhGuavLXGEP8WPNdjbyHNxalEGjR78MaA/edit?usp=sharing :)

Phil

Sherry Lake

Oct 21, 2015, 4:27:29 PM10/21/15
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Sorry,

But I spoke too soon. My small test of typing in an html file worked, but now as I try to add more text to the file (all hand typed in vi), I am seeing my initial problem - spewing html code. I've captured my commands and the error here (spewing code):
https://virginia.box.com/uva-dv-problems

In the above directory, the file "API-read-applicationTerms.txt" is the record of my commands. Reading the file "FromSc.html" works, but not the file "Scratch2.html". There is only a slight difference between the two files, seen by the "cat" command in the typescript file.

Help?
Sherry

Philip Durbin

Oct 22, 2015, 12:04:07 PM10/22/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Bah! This is definitely a bug. I just opened https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2669 for you and mentioned a potential workaround. but let me see if we can properly document it for you at least, for now (if it works). Thanks for reporting this, Sherry! You've been a real trooper! Please keep an eye on that issue.

Phil

Philip Durbin

Jan 20, 2016, 9:31:59 AM1/20/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I finally got around to posting a workaround involving pgAdmin3 but this may not be the most convenient tool to use on a server since it's a GUI tool: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2669#issuecomment-173210090