Installation guide improvement and reorganisation proposal

Ben Companjen

Jul 29, 2015, 8:25:17 AM7/29/15
to Dataverse-community
Hi all,

After discussing with Phil what I would like to see in an installation guide and other guides [1], Phil let me propose a new structure for the installation guide at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1GLky44JbtCNhGuavLXGEP8WPNdjbyHNxalEGjR78MaA/edit?usp=sharing
He mentioned this recently on this list [2].

It has turned into a guide with a wider scope than the current installation guide has, with proposed sections for "planning your Dataverse based service" and "keeping your installation secure".
One section proposal I added today is "Other ways to install Dataverse", listing Puppet below it, which I find exciting.

I would like to call all to propose updates, add questions and say 'aye' if you agree on what is there, so that work can continue (or start) on improving the documentation in the right direction. Especially input from people who have experience in installing and administering a Dataverse installation in production (including IQSS :)) is appreciated.

Thanks!

Ben

[1] E.g. the [Developers guide](http://guides.dataverse.org/en/latest/developers/index.html) and [CONTRIBUTING.md](https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/4.2/CONTRIBUTING.md)
[2]: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/PFMkHkelj_Q/3o5cgPiOxkcJ
--

Ben Companjen
Information systems engineer / Information manager

Data Archiving and Networked Services (DANS)
DANS promotes sustained access to digital research data. See www.dans.knaw.nl for more information and contact details. DANS is an institute of KNAW and NWO.

DANS | Anna van Saksenlaan 51 | 2593 HW The Hague | P.O. Box 93067 | 2509 AB The Hague | +31 70 349 44 50 | in...@dans.knaw.nl | www.dans.knaw.nl

Philip Durbin

Jul 30, 2015, 6:20:38 AM7/30/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks, Ben! Great work so far and nice chatting with you about this yesterday: http://irclog.iq.harvard.edu/dataverse/2015-07-29

I made sure people on the dev team and ops team (different groups) are aware of this effort.

As you said, everyone is welcome to provide input so if anyone out there has some opinions on what sort of information should be in the Installation Guide, please feel free to leave comments in the Google Doc.

Phil

Philip Durbin

Jan 22, 2016, 4:42:13 PM1/22/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Finally, I'm starting to work on this. Please check out https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2884

Now is an excellent time to comment on that issue, the proposal*, or at http://chat.dataverse.org with your hopes and dreams for the Dataverse Installation Guide.

Especially since I'm not done yet, and since I haven't yet merged the branch I just pushed to GitHub.

Or just reply to this email. :)

Have a good weekend!

Phil

Philip Durbin

Jan 28, 2016, 2:50:41 PM1/28/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I just opened a pull request for the Installation Guide:

Reorg based on open issues and community feedback: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/2895

Please let me know what you think! Comments on the pull request itself are welcome or you can just reply to this email.

Now, I'm hoping to switch gears and get back to writing code. :)

Thanks for starting the reorg proposal, Ben, and thanks to everyone who has helped work on it. Let's celebrate more once we're happy enough to merge in the pull request. I can keep pushing to that branch based on the feedback you give me now.

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Obviously, I'll be deleting http://guides.dataverse.org/en/2884-install-guide-reorg/installation once we're done.

Philip Durbin

Feb 11, 2016, 2:54:19 PM2/11/16
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Good news! The pull request was merged and now the newly rewritten Installation Guide can be seen at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2.4/installation (or "latest")

Please see the pull request for details on what was changed in the 4.2.4 version: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/2895

Thank you to everyone who helped contribute ideas! I hope you like the result.

Phil

p.s. Of course docs are never done. Here's the place where we are gathering idea for the *next* round of improvements to the Installation Guide if you'd like to comment or contribute: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2944