The identifier handle, does it have any cost?

Thalia U.M.

Aug 14, 2017, 2:42:07 PM8/14/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hello all
The identifier handle, does it have any cost? or The identifier DOIs? I use the identifiers for dataset. Thanks for your answer
Regards
Thalia

Philip Durbin

Aug 14, 2017, 3:04:08 PM8/14/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I believe there is a fee based on what's written in the guides:

"To properly configure persistent identifiers for a production installation, an account and associated namespace must be acquired for a fee from a DOI or HDL provider: EZID (http://ezid.cdlib.org), DataCite (https://www.datacite.org), Handle.Net (https://www.handle.net)." http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.7.1/installation/config.html#persistent-identifiers-and-publishing-datasets

Rebeca Barros

Aug 25, 2017, 10:15:34 AM8/25/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu

Let me just use this topic to point out that EZID, as far as I know, is not providing DOIgeneration anymore. Since the default configuration for testing Dataverse in a local environment uses EZID, an error occurs when you try to publish a dataset:

"Error – This dataset may not be published because the EZID Service is currently inaccessible."

Maybe is possible change the apitest to DataCite?

On Mon, Aug 14, 2017 at 2:42 PM, Thalia U.M. <thalia.u...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hello all
The identifier handle, does it have any cost? or The identifier DOIs? I use the identifiers for dataset. Thanks for your answer
Regards
Thalia

Philip Durbin

Aug 25, 2017, 2:04:59 PM8/25/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for linking to that page that says, "We are no longer able to issue new EZID accounts for DOIs." This is news to me. However, it shouldn't affect *existing* EZID accounts, such as the test account we ship Dataverse with, which has a username of "apitest"*. I'm fairly confident that "apitest" EZID account it still working because I just published a dataset with it on a test server (screenshot attached).

That said, you're absolutely right that we should switch the default configuration away from EZID. Would you be willing to open a GitHub issue about this at https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues ?

Finally, I could swear I've seen that "currently inaccessible" error for problems unrelated to EZID being down. (Showing the wrong error is a bug.) Since you're seeing that error can you please either create a new thread on this mailing list with more details (which version of Dataverse, how to reproduce the error, etc.) or make some noise in http://chat.dataverse.org about the problem or email sup...@dataverse.org ? You should be able to publish a dataset.

Thanks,

Phil

* For the curious, the EZID test account is configured here: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/v4.7.1/scripts/installer/glassfish-setup.sh#L214

On Fri, Aug 25, 2017 at 10:15 AM, Rebeca Barros <bk.b...@gmail.com> wrote:

[...]

Screen Shot 2017-08-25 at 11.14.05 AM.png

John Huck

Aug 28, 2017, 5:23:15 PM8/28/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
EZID is phasing out DOI service for non-University of California clients over the next year or so. This news post has a bit more detail about the rationale.

http://www.cdlib.org/cdlinfo/2017/08/04/ezid-doi-service-is-evolving/

Regards,

John
--
John Huck
Metadata & Cataloguing Librarian

On Friday, 25 August 2017 12:04:59 UTC-6, Philip Durbin wrote:
[...]

Philip Durbin

Aug 28, 2017, 6:26:10 PM8/28/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Yep. We touched on this at the end of the 2017-08-15 Dataverse Community Call. Here are the notes from https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/RnlJl_y9e1U/nVXKNbd6BQAJ

* (Phil) "EZID DOI Service is Evolving": http://www.cdlib.org/cdlinfo/2017/08/04/ezid-doi-service-is-evolving/ . Harvard Dataverse is also affected. Plenty of time to move to DataCite.
   * (Sherry) UVa’s EZID year subscription is up in January 2018 (or that’s when we 1st started paying).

Thanks,

Phil