Distribits conference in Germany April 4-6

Philip Durbin

Dec 19, 2023, 4:02:09 PM12/19/23
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello Dataverse enthusiasts!

I'm planning to attend a new conference called Distribits: technologies for distributed data management. It takes place in Düsseldorf, Germany April 4-6.

The conference is put on by the DataLad folks, who are working on an integration with Dataverse: https://github.com/datalad/datalad-dataverse

If you're interested in attending, (late) registration is still open: https://distribits.live

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Before the pandemic, I suggested* we list events we're attending on a spreadsheet so we can more easily find each other. Now that travel is happening again, I just cleaned up the spreadsheet and listed this event. You can find it linked from https://dataverse.org/events under the name "Dataverse Project-Related, Less Formal, and Community-Led Events (Dataverse Project Meetups)". Please feel free to add more events!

Philip Durbin

Apr 9, 2024, 12:34:22 PMApr 9
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Oliver, Jan, and I are back from Distribits in Düsseldorf.

Our talk entitled "Distributed Metadata and Data with Dataverse" is already online: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSzwAIqjq-o

Actually, you can already watch the entire collection of talks from https://distribits.live/schedule/ using this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLEQHbPfpVqU6esVrgqjfYybY394XD2qf2

I thought it was a great conference, a chance for Dataverse folks to exchange ideas with people from a different background. The conference was organized by the people behind DataLad and git-annex. Many have big data and a lot come from neuroscience.

During the hackathon on Saturday we confirmed that the DataLad/Dataverse integration is working and soon we'll have it listed in our guides: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/pull/10470

I also found their approach toward metadata interesting. They're using LinkML to develop a schema, a work in progress that I started taking some notes about at https://dataverse.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/375707-community/topic/LinkML.20-.20Linked.20Data.20Modeling.20Language

I also took notes and pictures throughout the event, which you can find at https://dataverse.zulipchat.com/#narrow/stream/375707-community/topic/Distribits.202024

Thanks,

Phil

Philipp Conzett

Apr 10, 2024, 9:01:12 AMApr 10
to Dataverse Users Community

Thanks for sharing this, Phil! It would be interesting to learn more about the DataLad/Dataverse integration, maybe on a community call?
Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Apr 10, 2024, 5:21:30 PMApr 10
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sure, but the next available is June. Meanwhile I would suggest their excellent documentation at https://docs.datalad.org/projects/dataverse/en/latest/

You can also chat with them on Matrix: https://matrix.to/#/%23datalad:matrix.org

I'm in there as well, trying to figure out when they can present for a community call, as you suggest.

(Another whole potential topic is LinkML, by the way.)

Thanks,

Phil

Philipp Conzett

Apr 11, 2024, 6:59:19 AMApr 11
to Dataverse Users Community

Thanks! June 25 sounds good to me. :-)
Best, Philipp

Philip Durbin

Apr 11, 2024, 7:42:33 AMApr 11
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We actually got a demo back in July 2022 but it wasn't recorded: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1UKMjIDIgLIGX1cV1_Mi4j6KnirCz827BZItPnI-K8I8/edit?usp=sharing

It would be nice to put it on DataverseTV next time.