File ingest / Importing text/image files like pdf, dat, tiff, etc to Dataverse 4.x

ofu...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2015, 5:31:28 AM11/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi,
Dataverse mentioned only about tabular data file ingest at the url: http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2.2/user/tabulardataingest/index.html.

We would like to know if Dataverse 4.x supports multiple ingest of full text/image files like pdf, dat. tif, etc?

Regards
Ofuuzo

Philip Durbin

Nov 20, 2015, 9:12:17 AM11/20/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ofuuzo,

To be clear, you can upload *any* file type to Dataverse. I think you know this already but I'm repeating it for others so there's no confusion. :)

In addition to tabular files, there are more file types that receive special processing at http://guides.dataverse.org/en/4.2.1/user/dataset-management.html

"The file types listed below are supported by additional functionality, which can include downloading in different formats, subsets, file-level metadata preservation, file-level data citation; and exploration through data visualization and analysis."

It goes on to say "Image files: jpgs, pngs, and tiff files are able to be selected as the default thumbnail for a dataset. The selected thumbnail will appear on the search result card for that dataset."

I'm actually not sure what the status of thumbnail generation for PDFs is. I think it's supported. It looks like there's a way (a JVM option) to turn it off for huge PDFs which can cause too much load: https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/2617

I'm not sure what a dat file is. I see 11 options at http://fileinfo.com/extension/dat . Can you please let us know which one you mean?

You seem to be asking about *multiple* ingest. I'm not sure what happens if you zip up a bunch of image files an upload them at once but I believe that a thumbnail will be generated for each of them.

Does this help? I guess I'm not sure what you're asking. Please help me understand.

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. We're still interested in the list of files your researchers use: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/tzqNw8qvMdE/qE8vBoyr2PgJ

Message has been deleted

ofu...@gmail.com

Nov 20, 2015, 5:42:17 PM11/20/15
to Dataverse Users Community
Thanks for your reply. What I was trying to ask is for example, if I have about 200 pdf files, if it would be possible to import them into Dataverse in a go?

Ofuuzo

Condon, Kevin

Nov 20, 2015, 5:45:33 PM11/20/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com

Yes, put them in a zip file and upload them -it will unpack as individual files.
Or, you could drag and drop files but 200 is a bit much for that approach.