Enabling LDAP authentication in Dataverse 3.6.2

379 views
Skip to first unread message

ofu...@gmail.com

unread,
May 8, 2014, 8:26:27 AM5/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi.
How  can I configure and enable LDAP authentication and still maintain the existing default login?

Thanks in advance.

Ofuuzo


Philip Durbin

unread,
May 8, 2014, 8:57:24 AM5/8/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Ofuuzo,

DVN does not support LDAP but there is a fork that does according to http://ualbertalib.github.io/dvn/overview/release-notes.html

I don't know much about this fork but I did leave a suggestion in their issue tracker that they work with the Dataverse development team on figuring out how best to contribute code such as LDAP support upstream: https://github.com/ualbertalib/dvn/issues/6

Also, you might be interested in the dvn-auth list. Here's the introductory message: https://lists.iq.harvard.edu/pipermail/dvn-auth/2013-September/000000.html

I'll tell you what... since we recently enabled a "Me, too!" button for this Google Group I'll ask anyone who's interested in LDAP support to go to your message and click "Me, too!": https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/G6e-9Zz-bPY/f-VcnFByjwkJ :)

Phil


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--
Philip Durbin
Software Developer for http://thedata.org
http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin

ofu...@gmail.com

unread,
May 12, 2014, 9:11:03 AM5/12/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Phil,
Thanks for the reply. I contacted Ualbethalib. Their implementation only allows LDAP users to login for now.  I need help for an implementation that can enable LDAP authentication and still maintain the existing default login.

Regards
Ofuuzo


kl. 14:57:24 UTC+2 torsdag 8. mai 2014 skrev Philip Durbin følgende:
Hi Ofuuzo,

DVN does not support LDAP but there is a fork that does according to http://ualbertalib.github.io/dvn/overview/release-notes.html

I don't know much about this fork but I did leave a suggestion in their issue tracker that they work with the Dataverse development team on figuring out how best to contribute code such as LDAP support upstream: https://github.com/ualbertalib/dvn/issues/6

Also, you might be interested in the dvn-auth list. Here's the introductory message: https://lists.iq.harvard.edu/pipermail/dvn-auth/2013-September/000000.html

I'll tell you what... since we recently enabled a "Me, too!" button for this Google Group I'll ask anyone who's interested in LDAP support to go to your message and click "Me, too!": https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/G6e-9Zz-bPY/f-VcnFByjwkJ :)

Phil
On Thu, May 8, 2014 at 8:26 AM, <ofu...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi.
How  can I configure and enable LDAP authentication and still maintain the existing default login?

Thanks in advance.

Ofuuzo


--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Philip Durbin

unread,
May 12, 2014, 9:30:35 AM5/12/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
That makes sense. In implementing Shibboleth support we certainly
won't remove the ability to also have local accounts. I can understand
a desire to have LDAP support work the same way.

I don't know if anyone from University of Alberta Libraries on this
list but if you are... hello! I'm excited you're in there looking at
and improving the Dataverse code!

Phil
>>> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>>> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>>>
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Philip Durbin
>> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dataverse Users Community" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/2fbba477-0179-4bed-a8b5-b5ba412ed9d7%40googlegroups.com.

Piyapong Charoenwattana

unread,
May 13, 2014, 1:50:28 PM5/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
I have just joined this group. Yes, I will take a look when I have a chance. Can you point me packages that I should be looking at? Thanks,
>>> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>>>
>>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
>>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Philip Durbin
>> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dataverse Users Community" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

Philip Durbin

unread,
May 13, 2014, 4:24:15 PM5/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Piyapong!

Thanks for joining the group! When you say "package" I assume you mean
you'd like to see a Java package like edu.harvard.iq.dataverse.auth or
something... and in that "auth" package there would be sub-packages
for...

- local
- shibboleth
- ldap
- etc.

... is that what you mean? We don't currently have this in Dataverse
4.0 beta ( https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse ) but it's something I'd
like to see. Or at least some way to make auth "pluggable", if that
makes sense...

Oh, for auth discussion in particular, we also have a dedicated
mailing list ( https://lists.iq.harvard.edu/mailman/listinfo/dvn-auth
) but everyone is welcome to talk about auth here too. :)

Phil
>> >>> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>> >>> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> >>>
>> >>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >>>
>> >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
>> >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Philip Durbin
>> >> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> >> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Dataverse Users Community" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> > an
>> > email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/2fbba477-0179-4bed-a8b5-b5ba412ed9d7%40googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Philip Durbin
>> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dataverse Users Community" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/fc6a3354-a821-450e-b15b-2a831215b982%40googlegroups.com.

Piyapong Charoenwattana

unread,
May 13, 2014, 5:12:19 PM5/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
Yes, I meant java packages. I think it is a good idea to develop pluggable module for authentication. We have also decided to allow public user to create an account on our dataverse web site. So, I will modify our LDAP login to support it. 

I will subscribe to the mailing list. 

Thanks,
>> >>> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> >>>
>> >>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >>>
>> >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
>> >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Philip Durbin
>> >> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> >> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Dataverse Users Community" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> > an
>> > To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/2fbba477-0179-4bed-a8b5-b5ba412ed9d7%40googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Philip Durbin
>> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dataverse Users Community" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an

Philip Durbin

unread,
May 13, 2014, 7:51:11 PM5/13/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Sounds great! Please keep us posted, Piyapong!

Phil
>> >> >>> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>> >> >>> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>> To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>>
>> >> >>> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/599db50e-c8dd-4ecb-a883-88ea359df179%40googlegroups.com.
>> >> >>> For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >>
>> >> >> --
>> >> >> Philip Durbin
>> >> >> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> >> >> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>> >> >
>> >> > --
>> >> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> >> > Groups
>> >> > "Dataverse Users Community" group.
>> >> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it,
>> >> > send
>> >> > an
>> >> > email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>> >> > To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> >> > To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >> >
>> >> >
>> >> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/2fbba477-0179-4bed-a8b5-b5ba412ed9d7%40googlegroups.com.
>> >> >
>> >> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>
>> >> --
>> >> Philip Durbin
>> >> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> >> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>> >
>> > --
>> > You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google
>> > Groups
>> > "Dataverse Users Community" group.
>> > To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send
>> > an
>> > email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
>> > To view this discussion on the web visit
>> >
>> > https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/fc6a3354-a821-450e-b15b-2a831215b982%40googlegroups.com.
>> >
>> > For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> Philip Durbin
>> Software Developer for http://thedata.org
>> http://www.iq.harvard.edu/people/philip-durbin
>
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups
> "Dataverse Users Community" group.
> To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an
> email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
> To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
> To view this discussion on the web visit
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/b8b20ced-710f-487b-a9d4-3e2bcdf5aa86%40googlegroups.com.

Philip Durbin

unread,
Jul 25, 2014, 8:46:59 AM7/25/14
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, char...@ualberta.ca
Hi Piyapong (and everyone interested in LDAP support),

I just wanted to make sure you saw this:

https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/blob/master/doc/Architecture/auth.md

It's our proposed design for pluggable auth, announced a few days ago at https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dataverse-community/ieRom3fCDs4/Uu8HLHPo4WAJ

Please take a look to see if you think it would be relatively straightforward to add LDAP support given that design.

Thanks!

Phil


On Tue, May 13, 2014 at 5:12 PM, Piyapong Charoenwattana <char...@ualberta.ca> wrote:
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.

To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.

For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages