Visualize data on worldmap fail

Michel Bamouni

Aug 7, 2017, 5:21:45 AM8/7/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi,

I successfully install geoconnect on local server and When I load a zip file, I see the "Map data".
When I click on "Map Data" button I get the screen join which name is MapDataSuccess.png.
But When I click on "Visualize on Wordlmap" I get the error "Sorry! The shapefile mapping did not work.
Failed to create a map layer." like in the picture "VisualizeOnWordlMapFail.png".

Can someone help me please?

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Aug 7, 2017, 7:32:14 AM8/7/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Hi Michel,

The README at https://github.com/IQSS/geoconnect still says that running Geoconnect yourself isn't recommended due to the complexity involved. Also, the primary developer of Geoconnect recently switched* jobs within Harvard so the Dataverse team's ability to help other groups run their own installation of Geoconnect is even more limited than before. The Geoconnect README indicates that installations of Dataverse are still welcome to use the same installation of Geoconnect that Harvard Dataverse uses ( https://geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu ). If you or others are interested in this option, please email sup...@dataverse.org .

All that said, I can understand if you've like to run Geoconnect yourself. (I suppose you could consider running WorldMap yourself too, but I'd recommend waiting until their rewrite is complete.) I just looked through the Dataverse guides and I didn't see anything about where Geoconnect keeps its logs, but I would start there. Also, you could try different geospatial files such as the test files mentioned at https://github.com/IQSS/geoconnect/blob/master/local_setup.md#trying-test-files

I'm sorry that I don't have better answers for you. Again, at this time it might be easiest for you to use the installation of Geoconnect that Harvard Dataverse and other installations of Dataverse use instead of running it yourself.

Thanks,

Phil

Michel Bamouni

Aug 8, 2017, 4:34:01 AM8/8/17
to Dataverse Users Community, philip...@harvard.edu
Hi Philip,

I choose to have my own geoconnect instance because, I can't use the harvard geoconnect due to the variation of the IP.
When i try to acces the test file https://github.com/IQSS/geoconnect/blob/master/local_setup.md#trying-test-files, I get ask taht i don't have the rights permissions.

Can you give acces to this files.
My gmail is : olimi...@gmail.com.

Best regards,

Michel

On Mon, Aug 7, 2017 at 5:21 AM, Michel Bamouni <olimi...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

I successfully install geoconnect on local server and When I load a zip file, I see the "Map data".
When I click on "Map Data" button I get the screen join which name is MapDataSuccess.png.
But When I click on "Visualize on Wordlmap" I get the error "Sorry! The shapefile mapping did not work.
Failed to create a map layer." like in the picture "VisualizeOnWordlMapFail.png".

Can someone help me please?

Best regards,

Michel

Philip Durbin

Aug 8, 2017, 9:37:59 AM8/8/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
Oh, sorry, I didn't realize those files weren't public. You've been testing with a shapefile so I'll attach a couple tabular files with spatial data for you to see if tabular mapping works on your installation of Geoconnect. They worked on my installation of Geoconnect on my laptop a few months ago. Again, I'm sorry that our ability to help with running your own installation of Geoconnect is limited.

With regard to the fact that https://geoconnect.datascience.iq.harvard.edu doesn't have a static IP address, I see that https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3825 was closed with "This is needed because the installation is not publicly accessible and is being used as an intranet. We don't have plans to focus our resources on the needs of non-public installations at this time. Closing this." That matches my understanding as well. Once you launch your installation of Dataverse publicly (we'd love to have you on the map!) you should be able to make use of that installation of Geoconnect hosted by Harvard, right?

Thanks,

Phil

election_precincts3.csv
starbucks_us_locations2.csv

Raman Prasad

Aug 8, 2017, 10:36:29 AM8/8/17
to Dataverse Users Community
HI Michel,

The problem you experienced may likely be this one:

To rule out other possibilities, sign in directly to worldmap using the account you created and do the following:

(1) click "create map" (big blue button)

(2) click "add layers" (top right button)

(3) click "upload layer" (link at top left)

(4) upload your shapefile in .zip format
  (no need to upload an SLD file)

   - Some other descriptive values are required. Anything is fine for now.  e.g. If the test works, you can delete the layer.

(5) If you get an error mapping this way, then geoconnect will also fail.

If it is a projection error, refer back to the link at the top of this response.

(Note: I am no longer officially with the Dataverse team but am on this list--in digest mode)

Regards,

Raman

Michel Bamouni

Aug 9, 2017, 7:57:04 AM8/9/17
to Dataverse Users Community

Hi Raman and Philip,

Thanks for answers.

When I try tgo upload thz zip directly on harvard worldmap gui, I get an http 500 error.
I join the error return by worldmap which name is "EchecChargementSurWorldmap.png".
So I have these questions :
Does worldmap still works fine?
If true, can you please give a file that I can be sure is uploadable throught worldmap UI.

Join to this post the file i try to upload on worldmap gui.

@Raman : I Note that you are no longer officially with the Dataverse team.

regards,

Michel
Blocks_Boston BARI.zip