Dataverse Community Call 7/18 (Tomorrow)

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 17, 2017, 4:34:01 PM7/17/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi everyone,

It's been awhile since the last one, but we'll have our Community Call tomorrow at Noon EDT. Agenda and more info:

Thanks,

The Dataverse Team

Steven McEachern

Jul 18, 2017, 1:43:51 AM7/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Danny

I'm in Portugal this week where it's a good time to dial in. Could you check if there's a dial in number here in Portugal?

Thanks
Steve

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 18, 2017, 9:10:21 AM7/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Steve, great to hear that you're slowly making your way closer to us. :)

I've requested the Portugal number be added to the call and I'll let you know if I have news before noon. We're going to experiment with moving away from a telephone-based Community Call (more info soon), so dialing in over the internet should be easier for future calls.

- Danny

danny...@g.harvard.edu

Jul 18, 2017, 9:42:46 AM7/18/17
to Dataverse Users Community
Hi Steve, the Portugal call in number is 800827889. This will only be active for this call, so I'm not going to update the Community Calls page.

- Danny

Philip Durbin

Jul 27, 2017, 9:35:24 AM7/27/17
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
I missed this call but I was very glad so see such comprehensive notes! Thank you, Danny, Gustavo, Julian, and "All anonymous users" for taking them! I'll paste them below.

I noticed that there was some chatter about Docker. The latest Docker activity is at https://github.com/nds-org/ndslabs-dataverse/compare/master...craig-willis:upgrade-4.7 where Craig Willis from NDS is working on upgrading their Dataverse Docker image from 4.2.3 to something newer such as 4.7. To follow along, I'd recommend subscribing to https://github.com/nds-org/ndslabs-dataverse/issues/8 and https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3938

Thanks,

Phil

p.s. Here are the notes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/13bPj5FavQ-nla7atWeokQbl02L9IJmk2eEUdKV2VwXo/edit?usp=sharing

2017-07-18 Dataverse Community Call

Agenda

* 4.7 Release
* 4.7.1 Release
* Matthew, Raman
* Community Questions

Attendees

* Danny Brooke (IQSS)
* Gustavo (IQSS)
* Tania (IQSS)2
* Julian (IQSS)
* Rohit (IQSS)
* Oscar (IQSS)
* Brian (IQSS)
* Jacob (IQSS)
* Pete (HMS)
* Matthew (HMS)
* Slava (DANS)
* Sherry Lake (UVA)
* Courtney Mumma (TDL)
* John Crabtree (Odum)
* Steve McEachern (ADA)
* Kevin Worthington (SP)

Notes

* 4.7 Release
* 4.7.1 Release
* Community Questions
   * (John, Odum) Will miniverse still be available since Raman won’t be at Dataverse.
      * (Danny) Yes, it will be available. The Dataverse team hasn’t prioritized plans to develop miniverse further at this point.
   * (Courtney and Steve) Happy to see community collaboration around the further development of miniverse.
   * (Slava) DANS is working with miniverse and planning to extend the basic functionality with new reports (https://github.com/DANS-KNAW/miniverse)
   * (Slava) Are there plans to work on Docker?
      * (Danny) There is an item in the backlog (https://github.com/IQSS/dataverse/issues/3938) to provide a Docker image for development environments
      * (Gustavo) Once it’s added for development environments, we should be able to add it for production.
      * (Pete) Some discussion in the RT about development for this. Phil Durbin would have more info.
      * (John) Happy to put folks in contact with Don Sizemore and Craig Willis re: existing docker images & efforts going forward
   * (Steve) Could we arrange a call for specific topics (sensitive data, restrictions, etc.)? Would be useful for scheduling as well, for people in different parts of the world.
      * (Danny) We’d like to organize a future call for specific items.
   * (Kevin ) Are there plans to make it easier to show on the new customized installation homepages featured dataverses?
      * (Gustavo) It is currently a static HTML page, and would require some customization to enable. Any widget can be added to the page.
      * (Tania) We are not looking at a featured dataverse widget currently, but we are focusing on “what’s in this thing”
      * (Sherry) UVA makes use of featured dataverses on its current homepage and would like to be able to use that feature on a custom homepage.
      * (Gustavo) If you want a feature similar to featured dataverses to be added via customization, it is achievable via custom HTML through use of API calls for translation of json output into page display
      * (Sherry) It may not be viable for UVA devs to work on, but it’s something we are interested in
   * (Sherry) This was discussed in the Community Meeting, some way to track the development being done by installations to augment Dataverse, like a development board. What do people think of that?
      * (Danny) We need to do a better job learning about these development efforts (e.g. Docker, miniverse we learned about today from Slava). I had imagined Google Groups being good for this.
      * (Tania) We are interested in creating better ways for the community to coordinate and communicate ideas / efforts towards future developments
      * (Pete) One solution could be a dataverse-helpers GitHub repository where community members can include ideas & demonstrative efforts for development & create a platform to survey others’ interest in ideas
      * (Danny) We should discuss this further on Google Groups. Some examples of how other projects are approaching this.
      * (Steve) There are lot of communication channels, not always clear which one to use to find out what other community members are working on.
      * (Courtney) Going to include in the Dataverse Google Groups a detailed message about miniverse and reporting, to wrangle as much info. as she can about the feedback TDL is getting from its users.
      * (Danny) Happy to lend support to efforts for future miniverse community developments, but unfortunately do not currently have resources to lead efforts towards said developments
      * (Slava) https://demo.dataverse.nl/dataverse/clariah Overview of the developments inside of CLARIAH (Netherlands) project.