[DVN 3.6] Indexing and search errors

22 views
Skip to first unread message

paul....@ubc.ca

unread,
Jul 5, 2015, 5:02:24 PM7/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
We have developed a problem with our 3.6.2 installation that seems to be cascading.

Initially, any subnetwork search would fail with no results -- ie, a known item within that subnetwork would not be found by any keyword search.

Shortly thereafter, creating a dynamic subcollection for any dataverse would fail. You can create the query, but the results for that query will be nil. Oddly, however, the previous subcollections which were extant still work.

This weekend we started getting more errors related to indexing:
I've been getting the Index update error notification email, which tells me one study out of our thousands is not being indexed and points me to server.log. Unfortunately, I'm not sure where in the 400+ lines of log I can find out what's going wrong.

To make matters worse, I just started getting the "IO problem" email from our DVN installation.

Again, "1 studies may not have been indexed142.103.160,105".

To make things much, much worse, now *any* search on our installation fails with

We are sorry. An application error has occurred.

Error Message:
javax.faces.el.EvaluationException: java.lang.NullPointerException


I tried manually indexing (Utilities/Index/Index unindexed studies). That results in

Indexing update completed


which seems great until I get the IO error update again.

I've attached the server.log entry from the latest indexing attempt.

In addition to that, our server.log is now filled with errors like these:
Caught exception while executing combined colleciton query on VDC 10|#]
Caught exception while executing combined colleciton query on VDC 3|#]
. . .

At this point I haven't tried reindexing everything in case it makes things worse.

I would be eternally grateful for any help you can provide. If anything, how to find the unindexed study and expunge it would probably be a good start.

Paul Lesack
Data Services
Koerner Library
University of British Columbia

InducedError.txt

Philip Durbin

unread,
Jul 5, 2015, 6:43:04 PM7/5/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com
The "org.apache.lucene.index.IndexNotFoundException: no segments* file found in org.apache.lucene.store.MMapDirectory@/data01/glassfish3/glassfish/domains/domain1/config/index-dir" error in the log you sent sure doesn't look good. I wonder if you have a corrupted index. Depending on how much data you have, reindexing fresh might be the best solution. I'd be curious to know if you've done this before and how long it took.

I'm also wondering what's in server.log for that NullPointerException on any search.

Could you please open a ticket via sup...@dataverse.org ? We can summarize for the list once we get to the bottom of this.

Thanks,

Phil

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Dataverse Users Community" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-commu...@googlegroups.com.
To post to this group, send email to dataverse...@googlegroups.com.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/dataverse-community/b58af7ed-805e-471a-95a8-0d602873942e%40googlegroups.com.
For more options, visit https://groups.google.com/d/optout.



--

paul....@ubc.ca

unread,
Jul 7, 2015, 1:14:58 PM7/7/15
to dataverse...@googlegroups.com, philip...@harvard.edu
I've managed to restore our search functionality, but the subnetwork search problems and the one unindexed study problem remain. Once our VM is backed up (soon), I will attempt a full re-index to see if this solves all of our problems (which I fervently hope it does). If that's unsuccessful, I will open the ticket.

Thanks for your help, and I hope you won't be seeing a ticket. . .

Paul
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to dataverse-community+unsub...@googlegroups.com.
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages