Cruiser 3: Download Manager

Emux

Dec 15, 2022, 2:39:55 PM12/15/22
to cruiser-users
Cruiser 3.0.3 is available with built-in Download Manager for in-app download:

- Offline maps from Mapsforge, OpenAndroMaps, Freizeitkarte
  (with the Elevate theme and all Freizeitkarte themes)

- Offline graphs for routing (GraphHopper)

- Offline poi for search (Mapsforge, OpenAndroMaps)

Download manager contains 3 tabs:
- Downloads: browse and download everything
- Updates: check and download all updates

The storage (internal / sd card) can be selected in "Settings | Application | Storage folder".
(a new selection will move the already downloaded files)

The old "Open ..." menus are no longer needed and are hidden.
(available for power users in "Settings | Application | Menu | Advanced")

Cruiser now has one shortcut.
The map engine (OpenGL or not) can be selected in "Settings | Map | Rendering engine".

Please test the new Download Manager and inform me if all functions work properly
and if need more features, so your downloads / activate / updates are better managed.

--
Emux
OpenAndroMaps.jpg

WolfgangS

Dec 16, 2022, 4:14:27 AM12/16/22
to Cruiser Users

Works like a charm – respect!

  • I loaded all my maps with the new function and put Kurviger.zip into _themes – everything okay! It’s quite easier as before, although I could live with that.
  • Great is the storage location change – I use still the internal storage … but who knows when I’ve to switch to the SDcard?
  • I appreciate the single shortcut – no longer to think of Cruiser GL!
  • “… Ausfahrt x nehmen“ - perfekt! 👍

Thanks for your efford and your time!
Message has been deleted

Emux

Dec 16, 2022, 6:55:12 AM12/16/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
I know the Voluntary / Velocity themes, there was a discussion to host them in OpenAndroMaps.
https://www.openandromaps.org/en/oam-forums/topic/voluntary-uk/page/9

If they are available in a fixed url, I can include them in Cruiser too.

> when navigating, there are none of those shop/business icons/labels all over the road ;)

This needs themes with map layers, so you can close the layers you don't need.

--
Emux
Message has been deleted

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 4:57:58 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
I obviously missing this post. Was struggeling with the fact that no individual folder can be selected any more for maps and maps were not shown in the local menu without these txt files.

However the maps layer menu is still greyed out and where do I put the Kurviger.zip file with symbols, patterns and textures to get the Kurviger look again?

MotoRiderUK schrieb am Freitag, 16. Dezember 2022 um 13:41:02 UTC+1:
Yes, I'm gradually learning how to "drive" the settings and find something that looks/feels right at whatever zoom level I'm working at.  Those themes are OK colour-wise but I'm not a fan of the Times New Roman italics on some of the labels which remind me of a 1980s A3-sized road atlas ;)   I've made some edits but it's hard to trust myself with a Find/Replace routine that doesn't spoil something else - I should probably find me a proper editor rather than doing it "Matrix-style" ;)

I'm in the frustrating position of having taken the plunge with a subscription of *the other app* 2 weeks before the annoucement, so I'm still demo'ing Cruiser - and only the snow/ice is preventing me from actually getting some decent use from it.  Seeing an ad for "TomTom" at the top of the app screen gave me a chuckle.

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 5:13:30 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
with the extended menu I can load again the Kurviger.zip and then the map layer menu appears again.

Is the map layer greyed out for other maps automatically or how can this be activated?

WolfgangS

Dec 18, 2022, 5:14:28 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
2022-12-18 11.11.50.png

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 5:21:38 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
I don't have this _themes folder. When is this created ?

Additionally just have recognized when I load the Kurviger.zip manually and activate the map layers, the fuel stations are not shown any more even if they are actived.

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 5:27:51 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
when I copy the kurviger.zip into this _themes folder I still can't activate it because this map txt file is missing

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 5:34:45 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
when I load the old kurviger maps, then fuel stations are visible. So these seem to be missing in the downloaded maps from the download manager. This is very bad since fuel stations are important to see.

WolfgangS

Dec 18, 2022, 5:39:17 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
In my sub-folder _themes there is no txt-file for kurviger, but it still works:
2022-12-18 11.33.32.png

and the fuel stations are there - in zoom level 16 and higher:
2022-12-18 11.31.57.png

For me personally sufficient - could be changed in kurviger.zip if not.

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 5:59:16 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
not working on my device. with the downloaded files, no fuel station or any other layer is visible even if the checkboxes for the different layers are ticked.

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 6:00:44 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
is it because I have loaded mapsforge maps?

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 6:02:02 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
can the kurviger style be made loadable via download manager?

Emux

Dec 18, 2022, 8:33:23 AM12/18/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

The "Open ..." menu are available via "Settings | Application | Menu | Advanced".
So you can still open any external map and theme with the Android file browser.

Please do not put third party maps / themes, graphs and poi inside the app folders.
Storage public on previous Android, is being restricted (by Google) on new Android!

About the map layers, they depend on 2 things:
- Offline maps
- Map theme

Better use the maps + theme together from the same provider, e.g.:
- OpenAndroMaps maps + Elevate theme
- Freizeitkarte maps + theme
- Kurviger maps + theme (attached) and the map layers (with fuel) will be available

> can the kurviger style be made loadable via download manager?

It has LGPL license, we wrote it based on my work in VTM themes, so it will be available.

--
Emux
Kurviger.zip

Emux

Dec 18, 2022, 8:58:58 AM12/18/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Hint

Instead of map layers, you can search the offline points of interest (with any map):

- Download offline poi with menu "Data | Download poi" using the download manager.

- Activate and use the menu "Data | Search" to write "fuel" or select the "Fuel stations".
  (image 1)

- Then the points of interest will appear on the map, in all zoom levels!
  (image 2)

Offline points of interest is under development and more improvements are coming.

--
Emux
Cruiser1.jpg

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 9:33:02 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
Ok thank you, this sounds good, will try it.

Tom

Dec 18, 2022, 10:12:58 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
hmm, it helps a little bit, but it is not too comfortable, mabye improved in the future. The menu entries are only in english and many of them make no sense (at least in Germany) and when entering text at the top, it does not position to this text search. I have to scroll down to fuel stations and then see the blue dots as a search result. The problem with the map is that the fuel stations and other symbols are only visible at the highest zoom level. Is it possible to make them visible at lower zoom levels to get a better overview?

Emux

Dec 18, 2022, 10:32:26 AM12/18/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
> maybe improved in the future.

Indeed, there are several improvements planned in the offline poi.

> when entering text at the top, it does not position to this text search

The text at the top is for search a keyword, e.g. search for "fuel".
Not to filter the categories, but it is an interesting idea.

> The problem with the map is that the fuel stations and other symbols are only visible at the highest zoom level. Is it possible to make them visible at lower zoom levels to get a better overview?

This depends on map providers, what zoom they set on fuel stations in their maps and themes.
Each map provider has different priorities, there is no universal solution, unless edit the theme.

The most flexible solution for the future seems to be the offline poi, independent of offline maps.
With the needed improvements. :)

--
Emux

John Campbell

Dec 18, 2022, 11:28:27 AM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
Voluntary MFC (Mapsforge Cruiser) is available for direct download from https://kmu.files.cnow.at/s/k25nTdsqf9HzLrN or https://kmu.files.cnow.at/s/k25nTdsqf9HzLrN/download it that is of use.
Could someone please point me to the specification of the txt file to be associated with it?

Emux

Dec 18, 2022, 11:42:54 AM12/18/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
Hi John,

Is it possible via a directly accessible url? (cloud urls are not easily parsed)
e.g. Elevate.zip

In the past OpenAndroMaps had mentioned that they could host the Voluntary theme?

There is a similar case with the Arch Linux AUR package for Cruiser.
(see the discussion)

> Could someone please point me to the specification of the txt file to be associated with it?

What do you mean?

We would need also somehow to understand when a new version appears.
Somewhere to inspect a date?

(for the Elevate theme I parse its web page and check the date)

Best regards

--
Emux

John Campbell

Dec 18, 2022, 12:13:03 PM12/18/22
to Cruiser Users
Hi Emux
I expected that the cloud URL might not work  There is a direct download link as well (ending /download - I take it that is no good either?
I'll see if the OAM hosting is possible.
It looks like some more work is necessary!
The txt file I had in mind is named Elevate.zip-cruiser.txt

Emux

Dec 18, 2022, 12:33:26 PM12/18/22
to cruise...@googlegroups.com
> There is a direct download link as well (ending /download - I take it that is no good either?

I can do more tests, but I'm afraid it's also not a directly accessible file.

> The txt file I had in mind is named Elevate.zip-cruiser.txt

This is created by Cruiser to store internal information about downloads.

Everything is analyzed externally, we only need to find a proper configuration.

> I'll see if the OAM hosting is possible.
> It looks like some more work is necessary!

Please inform me,
it will be very nice to also provide the Voluntary theme(s) in the downloader.

--
Emux

Emux

Dec 22, 2022, 12:01:08 PM12/22/22
to Cruiser Users
Cruiser 3.0.5 is available with an improved Download Manager.

--
Cruiser.jpg