2021 c.s.i.p.g.action Holiday Give-Away Day #1

Spalls Hurgenson

Dec 12, 2021, 11:45:51 AM12/12/21
Happy Holidays everyone!

I promised to bring this tradition back, and here we are: day #1 of
the give-away. Why do I do it? Because it's the season of giving and I
have just too damned many games hanging about; this way I can promote
the first while solving the second. Everybody comes out ahead!

So, in case you don't know how this works (Hi! You must be new here!),
every day for the next couple of weeks, I'll be making a post, and
offering up a free game or two. Well, specifically, I'll be posting
the key to a free game. First one to claim it, gets it. All I ask in
return is that - if you are the lucky claimant - you post a message
here saying you took the game. The reason for this is threefold:
first, it lets everyone know that the key is taken and they need not
bother trying it themselves. Second, it's just polite to say thanks,
and you're a polite person, I can tell. Third, I like a busy
newsgroup, and if giving away dozens of free games is what it takes to
get some activity here, well, that's just what I'll do.

All the forthcoming games are on Steam, so obviously you'll need an
account there. Steam won't give you duplicates either, so if you
already own a game, don't bother using the key; it won't get you
anything. At least for now, I'm not encoding the keys, so no need for
ROT13 this time, but I will be embedding them into the text to make it
a bit more difficult for the bots (let me know if this format is too
annoying and I'll return to the 'old style').

Enough with the preliminaries; you're all here for the games. Like
always, we're starting with the 'lesser' titles and working our way up
to the good stuff.

--------------------

Game #1 is "Ancestors Legacy". This is a real-time strategy game set
in the medieval era with some very pretty graphics. The code is vmk
xgi 4l qwzwg wy so if you want it, there it is. I don't really
remember very much about the game. I do recall it was very gory (just
the thing for the holiday season!) and I enjoyed its historical
setting, but the gameplay didn't impress me tremendously, but then -
as we discussed in an earlier post - my appreciation of games in that
genre has diminished over the years, so my lack of satisfaction
probably has less to do with the game's quality and more to do with my
fickle tastes. I think it's worth getting just to rope a bunch of
spearmen and watch them get shredded by viking berserkers. As I said,
a very Christmasy game ;-)

Game #2 is "The Uncertain: Last Quiet Day". It continues our theme of
"games that really reflect what this season is all about" by being set
in a post-apocalyptic world. Unlike "Ancestor's Legacy", this game is
an adventure game; humanity has disappeared and only robots remain.
Plug 3w4 Gnbajjj 3 xtrq into Steam if it sounds interesting to you.
The controls are a bit wonky, but it has good atmosphere, an
intriguing story and a nice soundtrack. It is a bit slow-paced but
given its setting, that's fitting (things tend to slow down a bit
after the apocalypse; no managers left means no deadlines ;-). It's
not a perfect game, but maybe worth a look.

Well, that's it for today. I wish everybody a happy start to the
holidays. Remember, if we're not all nice to each other, the sun won't
return after the Solstice and we'll all be stuck in darkness forever,
so be cheerful everyone! Happy holidays! Enjoy the games!

Idaho Homo Joe

Dec 12, 2021, 12:14:09 PM12/12/21
I was smoking marijuana, came across this thread
soon after it was posted by Spalls, and I thought
why not get these cool sounding games before
Mike (S)hapiro gets a chance. Thanks Spalls and
Feliz Navidad.

Mike S.

Dec 12, 2021, 12:22:24 PM12/12/21
On Sun, 12 Dec 2021 11:45:43 -0500, Spalls Hurgenson
<spallsh...@gmail.com> wrote:

>So, in case you don't know how this works (Hi! You must be new here!),
>every day for the next couple of weeks, I'll be making a post, and
>offering up a free game or two. Well, specifically, I'll be posting
>the key to a free game. First one to claim it, gets it. All I ask in
>return is that - if you are the lucky claimant - you post a message
>here saying you took the game.

Thanks for the giveaway Spalls. I did not grab either of these keys,
so maybe they are still available.

Justisaur

Dec 14, 2021, 11:47:12 AM12/14/21
On Sunday, December 12, 2021 at 8:45:51 AM UTC-8, Spalls Hurgenson wrote:
> Happy Holidays everyone!
>
> I promised to bring this tradition back, and here we are: day #1 of
> the give-away. Why do I do it? Because it's the season of giving and I
> have just too damned many games hanging about; this way I can promote
> the first while solving the second. Everybody comes out ahead!
>
> So, in case you don't know how this works (Hi! You must be new here!),
> every day for the next couple of weeks, I'll be making a post, and
> offering up a free game or two. Well, specifically, I'll be posting
> the key to a free game. First one to claim it, gets it. All I ask in
> return is that - if you are the lucky claimant - you post a message
> here saying you took the game. The reason for this is threefold:
> first, it lets everyone know that the key is taken and they need not
> bother trying it themselves. Second, it's just polite to say thanks,
> and you're a polite person, I can tell. Third, I like a busy
> newsgroup, and if giving away dozens of free games is what it takes to
> get some activity here, well, that's just what I'll do.

Posting to let you know our local troll posted that he picked them
up, I assume everyone else has him blocked and wouldn't see it.

It is indeed a good Christmas when even trolls get in the spirit!

- Justisaur

PW

Dec 14, 2021, 11:43:35 PM12/14/21
*--

Who be that?

-pw

Justisaur

Dec 17, 2021, 11:36:28 AM12/17/21
I dare not mention his name, as I refuse to give him any acknowledgement
but suffice it to say he likes to spit in to the wind and stalks you particularly.
Almost every post you make he replies to.

If you really want to know you can see his post in this thread by going
to the thread in google:

https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/llEPuhzXx4Y

- Justisaur

PW

Dec 21, 2021, 10:18:23 PM12/21/21

>> Who be that?
>
>I dare not mention his name, as I refuse to give him any acknowledgement
>but suffice it to say he likes to spit in to the wind and stalks you particularly.
>Almost every post you make he replies to.
>
>If you really want to know you can see his post in this thread by going
>to the thread in google:
>
>https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/llEPuhzXx4Y
>
>- Justisaur

*--

Got ya. Maybe I kill filed the poster as I have not seen a post of
his in a while.