Tie Fighter Mission IV Battle 3 help!

David Brake

Nov 23, 1994, 12:27:22 PM11/23/94
Once I've finished this mission I have to wait for Transport "Runner" to dock.
But it doesn't seem to want to dock with anything! It just circles and circles...
What can I do?

Also is there any easy way to complete mission V battle (whatever)
where you have to kill half of the Tie Advanceds. It takes me ages
to swat those pesky Tie Advanceds - they move so quickly!

Mr Wrong

Nov 29, 1994, 12:49:31 PM11/29/94
David Brake (David...@pcw.ccmail.compuserve.com) wrote:
: Once I've finished this mission I have to wait for Transport "Runner" to dock.

You have to make sure that one of the containers survives if you target
"runner" and then do threat display (Z) it will tell you which container
it is trying to dock to. Ifit says start position one it won't ever dock
just spins around for a while. I still haven't been b able to get past
this one. They always blow up all the containers. Any help on that
would be appriciated for me as well.
--

|\ /| | IN HIM WAS I BORN
__| \__ _/ |___ | IN HIM SHALL I DIE

jfre...@mtu.edu

Dec 2, 1994, 5:26:17 PM12/2/94
In <mrhappyD...@netcom.com>, mrh...@netcom.com (Mr Wrong) writes:
>David Brake (David...@pcw.ccmail.compuserve.com) wrote:
>: Once I've finished this mission I have to wait for Transport "Runner" to dock.
>: But it doesn't seem to want to dock with anything! It just circles and circles...
>: What can I do?
>
>: Also is there any easy way to complete mission V battle (whatever)
>: where you have to kill half of the Tie Advanceds. It takes me ages
>: to swat those pesky Tie Advanceds - they move so quickly!

I could us a little advice about the TIE Advanced mission also.
The commander tells me to hit them with a missile first and then
use laser, but the suckers are too damn manuverable to keep in
missile lock for very long, and if I swing out of range and then
back in my Wingmen will be toast!

J. Frank Reeves
jfre...@vnet.ibm.com

The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Nicholas Fang

Dec 4, 1994, 4:28:32 PM12/4/94
In article <D07Fn...@bocanews.bocaraton.ibm.com> jfre...@vnet.ibm.com writes:
>In <mrhappyD...@netcom.com>, mrh...@netcom.com (Mr Wrong) writes:
>>David Brake (David...@pcw.ccmail.compuserve.com) wrote:
>>: Once I've finished this mission I have to wait for Transport "Runner" to dock.
>>: But it doesn't seem to want to dock with anything! It just circles and circles...
>>: What can I do?
>>
>>: Also is there any easy way to complete mission V battle (whatever)
>>: where you have to kill half of the Tie Advanceds. It takes me ages
>>: to swat those pesky Tie Advanceds - they move so quickly!

Transport Runner:
This is a slight bug, in that the mission goals could have been made
better. At least one of the Containers had to survive for the
Transport to dock with, and if they all were destroyed, the Transport
just sits there dumbly, and you get no "Primary mission can not be
completed"

Tie Advanced:
The first two you should be able to take out with missiles. In
general, if you are more than 1.2 or 1.5 km away, slow down and use a
missile.

When you get closer, set your shield and lasers to max and reduce to
2/3 speed, and link all 4 lasers. This makes you turn tighter and you
can concentrate on getting one good shot and hitting with all 4 lasers
instead of trying to keep a continuous bead.

If you are having trouble because your wingmen die, call for
reinforcements. I found that the 2 T/A from group Rho are pretty
helpful, taking out 2 or 3 of the T/A, and especially because they
start out far enough away to use missiles.

Hope this helps!

--

Nicholas J. Fang Interactive Systems (Media) Group
Agbaar on SCS-ML/r.g.d Computer Science/Engineering Dept.

Klaus Lindemann

Dec 6, 1994, 6:36:03 AM12/6/94
>I could us a little advice about the TIE Advanced mission also.
>The commander tells me to hit them with a missile first and then
>use laser, but the suckers are too damn manuverable to keep in
>missile lock for very long, and if I swing out of range and then
>back in my Wingmen will be toast!
Don't rely on your wingmen, and don't rely on your missiles (you have to few
of them). For me, speed is the answer. If you chase a TA, sometimes he
will fly away from you in a straight line. If you can stay after him long
enough, you can hit him several times, and eventually you'll get him.
So, to be fast enough, I divert NO power to the shields, and 75% or 100%
power to the lasers. That means, of course, that I have to transfer energy
to the shields manually from time to time. Because I play using a mouse,
I have one hand free, so that is not a big problem. Alas, in full view mode,
(cockpit disabeled) you have no visual feedback on the status of the shields,
so you have to guess about their status. By the way, killing half the TAs
means killing half of each group.

>J. Frank Reeves
>jfre...@vnet.ibm.com
>
>The opinions expressed are my own and do not reflect the views of my employer.

Klaus Lindemann

Reda Woodcock

Dec 11, 1994, 12:04:14 PM12/11/94
jfre...@mtu.edu wrote:

>>: Also is there any easy way to complete mission V battle (whatever)
>>: where you have to kill half of the Tie Advanceds. It takes me ages
>>: to swat those pesky Tie Advanceds - they move so quickly!
>>

>I could us a little advice about the TIE Advanced mission also.
>The commander tells me to hit them with a missile first and then
>use laser, but the suckers are too damn manuverable to keep in
>missile lock for very long, and if I swing out of range and then
>back in my Wingmen will be toast!

I don't know about you, but I had to crank the difficulty level to EASY to
beat that mission. What I did try, though, was to tell all of you
wingmen to attack the same target that you are going after. Only try to
kill the T/A with missiles when they are really far away; they don't
maneuver as much there.

Reed Derleth

Dec 12, 1994, 10:17:47 AM12/12/94
>>I could us a little advice about the TIE Advanced mission also.
>>The commander tells me to hit them with a missile first and then
>>use laser, but the suckers are too damn manuverable to keep in
>>missile lock for very long, and if I swing out of range and then
>>back in my Wingmen will be toast!

>I don't know about you, but I had to crank the difficulty level to EASY to
>beat that mission. What I did try, though, was to tell all of you
>wingmen to attack the same target that you are going after. Only try to
>kill the T/A with missiles when they are really far away; they don't
>maneuver as much there.

I've changed my tactics since the first time I played Tie. I used to
think single fire was the best, now I use full-linked fire and just wait
for that right moment. The opportunity usually presents itself when the
T/A turns away and runs straight ahead for a moment. (By the way, anyone
anticipating modem play for Tie Fighter is getting a look at how hard it
will be to play when they fight a Tie Advanced, I think.)

Other tactics I've tried: Run far away at full speed. If one or two T/As
are chasing, weave a bit this way and that, until one is directly behind
the other (hard to tell, but it happens pretty regularly). Then spin
around and attack head-on. The closest T/A will be caught in a crossfire
between its wingman and you.

Also if you're in a pretty tough ship and fighting a lone T/A, try
stopping dead in space, speed 0. This forces the T/A to use head-on
attacks, which you are probably better at than he (and he doesn't know
how to manage shields).

The last two tactics worked the first time I played the game,but I've
since just started chasing around with quad lasers. Much faster.

mrs rime

Jan 19, 2024, 7:31:10 AMJan 19
✅🔴▶️▶ Really Amazing ️You Can Try This ◀️◀️🔴✅

✅▶️▶️ CLICK HERE Full HD✅1080p✅ 4K✅

WATCH ✅💻📺📱👉https://co.fastmovies.org

ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ ✅📺📱💻👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚 Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ LINK >👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚 CLICK HERE Full HD 1080p 4K💚WATCH LINK >👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴💚Really Amazing ️You Can Try This💚WATCH💚ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ LINK >👉https://co.fastmovies.org

🔴WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

✅WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

💚WATCH>>ᗪOᗯᑎᒪOᗩᗪ>>LINK>👉https://co.fastmovies.org

Spalls Hurgenson

Jan 19, 2024, 1:12:03 PMJan 19

These movies have nothing to do with TIE Fighter! Very disappointed.

The secret to solving this mission, btw, is to shoot at all the
enemies until they blow up and not allow them to shoot you or your
allies enough that they get destroyed.

I find that tactic works for most missions. ;-)

More seriously:

Mission 4 of Battle 3: "Guard Space Station NL-1"
Killing the y-wings first seems to be smartest thing.
Pumping energy into engines so you get to them before
they launch missiles probably helps. You may wish to
use missile instead of torpedoes too, since they are
faster and have a better chance of hitting fighter.
Order your wing-men (who will have torpedoes) to kill
the corvettes so you can focus on the y-wings. Disable
the shuttle when it appears, and order your wing-men to
ignore it lest they blow it up accidentally. Then try to
survive until the rest of the fleet arrives (the A-wings
are the biggest threat).

No, I didn't actually remember the mission. I just pulled open the
official strategy guide and summarized their advice.

I hope the thirty-year wait for an answer was worth it, original
poster.

;-)

kyonshi

Jan 19, 2024, 1:54:13 PMJan 19
maybe at least leave in the original question so we have a clue what
that poster back in the 90s was asking.

Spalls Hurgenson

Jan 20, 2024, 9:46:58 AMJan 20
>maybe at least leave in the original question so we have a clue what
>that poster back in the 90s was asking.

I can't. The person who initiated the necropost prior to my reponse
had replaced all the original content with their spam (which I
deleted). So all I had to go by was the subject title. I think I did
pretty good answering, given that limitation. ;-)

Justisaur

Jan 20, 2024, 12:07:58 PMJan 20
You could look it up on google groups if you wanted to (at least still
currently
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.sys.ibm.pc.games.action/c/2HYrFtwLrFE/m/PMU9vS_nAAAJ
)

"
David Brake
Nov 23, 1994, 9:27:22 AM
Once I've finished this mission I have to wait for Transport "Runner" to
dock.
But it doesn't seem to want to dock with anything! It just circles and
circles...
What can I do?
Also is there any easy way to complete mission V battle (whatever)
where you have to kill half of the Tie Advanceds. It takes me ages
to swat those pesky Tie Advanceds - they move so quickly!
"

And of course lots of advice from others after that.

--
-Justisaur

ø-ø
(\_/)\