My Forth Bookshelf

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 5:50:49 AMJan 6
All the Best for 2024 to everybody here.

Just to remind everybody about the Forth Books
we have published over the years
( and there are a few others, not for Forth on the same page ... )
Especially for people who might not have heard about them
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 8:37:13 AMJan 6
Much of the information in there you can find somewhere on the internet,
but the idea here was, to have it as a formatted book or eBook.

And I do have the ok from all of the authors to have it published as book.
Actually you can see some cover pages with the Mug I had sent to the people.
For example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eForth-Zen-32-bit-86eForth-Visual/dp/B08C9761VH/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=HuovT&pf_rd_p=3413293e-3815-4359-96ba-1ec5110e0b30&pf_rd_r=262-6131874-1834657&pd_rd_wg=dsjuG&pd_rd_r=3770eaf4-61d7-47ab-a27a-2c65432eddf4&content-id=amzn1.sym.3413293e-3815-4359-96ba-1ec5110e0b30&ref_=aufs_ap_sc_dsk

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 8:53:51 AMJan 6

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 9:12:24 AMJan 6
A a list of the Forth books there:

The Forth Bookshelf
This is part of the current Forth Bookshelf and some others and can be found at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM

1 Charles Moore - Forth - The Early Years: Background information about the
beginnings of this Computer Language

2 Charles Moore - Programming A Problem Oriented Language: Forth - how the
internals work

3 Leo Brodie - Starting Forth -The Classic

4 Leo Wong – Juergen Pintaske – Stephen Pelc FORTH LITE TUTORIAL: Code
tested with free MPE VFX Forth, SwiftForth and Gforth

5 Juergen Pintaske – A START WITH FORTH - Bits to Bites Collection
– 12 Words to start, then 35 Words, Javascript Forth on the Web, more

( 6 Stephen Pelc - Programming Forth: Version July 2016 )
( unfortunatey the availability of this book had to be stopped )

7 Brad Rodriguez - Moving Forth / TTL CPU / B.Y.O. Assembler

8 Tim Hentlass - Real Time Forth

9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3

10 Chen-Hanson Ting - Zen and the Forth Language: EFORTH for the
MSP430G2552 from Texas Instruments

11 Chen-Hanson Ting - eForth and Zen - 3rd Edition 2017: with 32-bit
86eForth v5.2 for Visual Studio 2015

12 Chen-Hanson Ting - eForth Overview

13 Chen-Hanson Ting - FIG-Forth Manual Document /Test in 1802 IP

14 Chen-Hanson Ting - EP32 RISC Processor IP: Description and
Implementation into FPGA – ASIC tested by NASA

15 Chen-Hanson Ting – Irriducible Complexity

16 Chen-Hanson Ting - Arduino controlled by eForth

17 Chen-Hanson Ting – eForth as Arduino Sketch – no Programmer needed

( 18 Burkhard Kainka - Learning Programming with MyCo: )
( Learning Programming easily - independent of a PC (Forth code to follow soon) )

( 19 Burkhard Kainka - BBC Micro:bit: Tests Tricks Secrets Code, Additional MicroBit )
more info to follow when running the Mecrisp Package

( 20 Burkhard Kainka – Thomas Baum – Web Programming ATYTINY13 )

21 Georg Heinrichs - The ATTINY Project – Why Forth?

22 Dr. Karl Meinzer - IPS, a Forth-like language for Space
Juergen Pintaske, publisher, July 2020

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 11:44:47 AMJan 6
To get started on an Arduino with
eForth as Arduino Sketch, try the 39 steps
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:430eforth:start
Message has been deleted

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 6:46:36 AMJan 7
In article <be0860be-670f-48d8...@googlegroups.com>,
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
<NIP>
>9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3

I have "Footsteps In An Empty Valley" with no mention of issue.
Is that issue 1 ?

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 7:09:51 AMJan 7
I am sorry, but this is the version Isaue 3 Ting gave me to convert into a book.
We had hoped that Ting would be there in the background to help with any questions.
Which is unfortunately not the case now.

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 10:36:49 AMJan 7
In article <9c2b6fd7-7d87-4ed4...@googlegroups.com>,
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday 7 January 2024 at 11:46:36 UTC, none albert wrote:
>> In article <be0860be-670f-48d8...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <NIP>
>> >9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3
>> I have "Footsteps In An Empty Valley" with no mention of issue.
>> Is that issue 1 ?
>>
>> Groetjes Albert
>
>I am sorry, but this is the version Isaue 3 Ting gave me to convert into a book.
>We had hoped that Ting would be there in the background to help with any questions.
>Which is unfortunately not the case now.

Can that be any chance be Third *Edition* March 1988 ?
Then we have the same book.
My content reads:
1.1 The von Neumann machine instruction set
1.2 .. RISC..
1.3 .. NC4000 ..

2.1 NC4000 pin names an functions.
2.2 ..

3.1 ALU code and functions
3.2 Y-port ..
3.3 ... stack ..
3.4 shift ..
3.5 .. ALU ..
3.6 .. I/O ..
3.7 .. internal registers ..
3.8 .. bits .. i/o registers
4.1 pins ..
6.1 .. cycles ..

Can you comment on the antiquarian value?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 1:21:59 PMJan 7
Copy of the contents pages from the upload of the book:

Contents
( page numbers are from the printed version )
Preface for the Third Edition
Forward for the First Edition
iii
My Electronic Bookshelf
Contents
ix
Figures
xii
Tables
xiv

Chapter 1
Introduction 1
1.1
Historical background 1
1.2
RISC Panacea 2

Chapter2
The NC4000 Chip 7
2.1
Features of NC4000 chip 7
2.2
External data paths 7
2.2.1
Main memory 11
2.2.2
Data stack and return stack 11
2.2.3
B-port and X-port 12
2.2.4
System timing and control 13
2.3
NC4000 architecture 14
2.3.1
The internal registers 14
2.3.2
Program sequencer 16
2.3.3
Data stack and return Stack 17
2.3.4
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) 18
2.3.5
The I/0 ports 20

Chapter 3
The Instruction Set of NC4000 22
3.1
Classification of NC4000 instructions 23
3.2
ALU instructions 26
3.3
I/0 and memory instructions 31
3.4
Graphic models of some NC4000 instructions 33
3.4.1
Model of NC4000 ALU 34
3.4.2
The SWAP group 35
3.4.3
The DUP group 37
3.4.4
The binary ALU group 38
3.4.5
The multiply/divide group 39
3.4.6
Miscellaneous instructions 42

Chapter 4
NC4000 Computers 45
4.1
Commercial products using NC4000 chip 45
4.1.1
The early alphabetic boards 45
4.1.2
The Forthkits from Computer Cowboys 46
4.1.3
Products from Novix, Inc. 46
4.1.4
Products from Silicon Composers 47
4.1.5
Other companies and products 47
4.1.6
List of manufacturers 48
4.2
Build your own NC4000 computer 48
4.2.1
The CPU section 49
4.2.2
I/0 ports 50
4.2.3
Main memory 51
4.2.4
Data stack and return stack 53
4.3
Circuit boards for NC4000 computer 54
4.4
Hardware enhancements 55
4.4.1
PAL memory decoder OF5138 55
4.4.2
Stack expansion counter OF5493 57
4.4.3
Another novel memory decoding technique 58

Chapter 5
The cmForth Operating System 61
5.1
The kernel 61
5.1.1
The primitive Forth words 61
5.1.2
Memory accessing words 63
5.1.3
Multiply and divide 65
5.2
System variables 67
5.3
Terminal input and output 68
5.3.1
Primitive input and output words 68
5.3.2
Line input and output words 69
5.4
Number conversion 70
5.4.1
Convert digits to binary number 70
5.4.2
Convert binary number to ASCII string 72
5.4.3
Memory dump 73
5.4.4
Message output 74
5.5
Serial disk 75
5.5.1
Disk buffer manager 75
5.5.2
Disk read and write 77
5.6
The text interpreter 79
5.6.1
Parsing of words 79
5.6.2
Dictionary search 80
5.6.3
The interpreter 83
5.6.4
Power up and reset 84
5.7
Compiler 87
5.7.1
Compiler loop 87
5.7.2
Defining words 91
5.7.3
Control structures 93
5.7.4
NC4000 assembler 95
5.7.5
Compiler vocabulary 99
5.8
Optimizing compiler 99
5.8.1
Smart ; compiler 100
5.8.2
Smart ALU function compiler 101
5.8.3
Shift compiler 103
5.8.4
Merging of DUP 104
5.9
The target compiler 104
5.9.1
Utility compiler 105
5.9.2
Target dictionary 106
5.9.3
Variables in target dictionary 107
5.9.4
Separate target and host dictionary 108
5.9.5
Target compiler in action 109

Chapter 6
Programming Tips 112
6.1
Benchmarks 112
6.2
WORDS—listing the vocabulary 113
6.3
Memory dump 115
6.4
Line editor 116
6.5
Stack pictures 118
6.6
Display internal registers 119
6.7
Input and output 120
6.8
PICK and ROLL 122
6.9
Square-root 123
6.10
Terminal and disk server on IBM-PC 124
6.11
Arcsine by interpolation 127
6.12
High speed pattern generator 128
6.13
A/D conversion with NC4000 132
6.14
Fast byte flip 135
6.15
More vocabularies 136

Appendix A
cmForth Source Listing 138
Appendix B
cmForth Glossary 164
Index 170

This is what came from Ting to me originally
and he wanted to have edited, formatted and published on amazon

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 1:35:06 PMJan 7
Having had a look elsewhere, it is probably closest to
http://forth.org/OffeteStore/OffeteStore.html

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 6:41:08 PMJan 7
In article <14cf69c7-e76b-4ac0...@googlegroups.com>,
Definitely the same book.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 8, 2024, 11:49:50 AMJan 8
Thank you very much for confirming this.
Building the Forth Bookshelf seems to have supported its purpose
of saving data material availability for thye next 20+ years

dxf

Jan 8, 2024, 9:32:13 PMJan 8
For as long as the business interests you anyway. Not that the rest of us
care more. When it's our turn to lose interest, we won't give a damn either.
All that matters is that we profit while we do.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 2:57:41 AMJan 9
This is another one of your Definitely eXtra Fucking useless comments - as your name dxf states.

It all started when I did consulting work for MPE as part of it,
and then just continued as the system had been set up.

And I got some very positive feedback over the years from the people who bought them.
And on amazon you can see what people posted about these books.

I assume that all of the people here just search the Internet for the free versions and download them.
Which is fine for me. These books are targeted at people who do not know what to search for,
or just want them for any other reason.

I just received the first version of Chucks book as Hard Cover in addition to eBook and print book.
It is definitely a different feeling to flick through this one.
Especially as there is the video where Chuck receives 3 of my books as a present from me
- taken to the Forth Meeting by Paul Bennett.

We have seen many of your negative comments over the years
- well, this is just your personality.

none albert

Jan 9, 2024, 5:35:43 AMJan 9
In article <2f11c203-85e8-4da0...@googlegroups.com>,
As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
of the content of Ting's book?
Thank you.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 5:58:38 AMJan 9
I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
And I do not want a flame war.
He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did
- so it was him, not me who started it if so.

minforth

Jan 9, 2024, 6:16:11 AMJan 9
Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> On Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 10:35:43 UTC, none albert wrote:
>> As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
>> of the content of Ting's book?
>> Thank you.

> I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
> And I do not want a flame war.
> He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did
> - so it was him, not me who started it if so.

To add another useless comment: don't comment on dxf, it's useless. ;-)

By the way, I appreciate your work to create some sort of Forth antiquarian
bookshop. So many good things from the past just get forgotten.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 11:01:49 AMJan 9
Thank you very much. It was a lot of work over the last 12 years. And it seems they are the most recent Forth books.

dxf

Jan 9, 2024, 10:43:04 PMJan 9
Hardly since it was a comment on your business spam and the self-promotion
therein. Perhaps you might consider instead an unobtrusive sig as the other
vendors do.

dxf

Jan 10, 2024, 1:10:52 AMJan 10
On 9/01/2024 10:13 pm, minforth wrote:
> Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 10:35:43 UTC, none albert wrote:
>>> As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
>>> of the content of Ting's book? Thank you.
>
>> I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
>> And I do not want a flame war.
>> He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did - so it was him, not me who started it if so.
>
> To add another useless comment: don't comment on dxf, it's useless. ;-)

Can't speak for Jurgen but feel free. You never know your luck.

> By the way, I appreciate your work to create some sort of Forth antiquarian
> bookshop. So many good things from the past just get forgotten.
Forth antiquarian books from Amazon/Kindle in 20 years time? Not likely.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 10, 2024, 2:49:21 AMJan 10
Just fell over this link. Made me smile
Number 57
https://bookauthority.org/books/best-selling-arduino-development-books

dxf

Jan 10, 2024, 7:16:21 PMJan 10
It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
back to the original author?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 11, 2024, 2:13:53 AMJan 11
This is business between the author and me - and none of your business.

none albert

Jan 11, 2024, 4:33:31 AMJan 11
The proper thing to do (but only in the first response) is to shorten the
offending message replacing the most part of the Ting's
content overview with <SNIP>.
In a second response it is inexcusable.

You have much to learn about nettiquette.
The sig is according to the rules (4 line at most.)
One of the rules is deleting the sigs in a response.

>> - so it was him, not me who started it if so.

Stephen Pelc

Jan 11, 2024, 6:02:44 AMJan 11
On 11 Jan 2024 at 01:16:19 CET, "dxf" <dxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
> What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
> back to the original author?

Nothing, nada, 0%. That's why no MPE publications will ever
be available from that source, but are available for free from the
MPE website at
https://www.mpeforth.com/resource-links/books/

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, ste...@vfxforth.com
MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd. - More Real, Less Time

Stephen Pelc

Jan 11, 2024, 6:03:22 AMJan 11
On 11 Jan 2024 at 01:16:19 CET, "dxf" <dxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
> What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
> back to the original author?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 11, 2024, 9:46:04 AMJan 11

Let us stick to the truth please.

We had an agreement to have this book
run as edited, formatted and published by me on amazon.
This lasted for about 3 years .
Then you changed your mind.
Fine for me - your decision, but your conditions I could not agree with.

This all was probably caused by me having to remind you of a couple of months late payments of the consultancy invoices.
It had not been a problem for me at the time and you then paid.
But there we are.

The value generated by this book was so low,
that it was easier for me to unpublish/stop the book and stop availability than to find, calculate what to transfer every time to MPE.
It takes quite some time to get this out of the summary report with worldwide places with all different currencies..
It would cost me more in consultant time than it was worth.

I gave you all of the numbers at the time.

I had sent you the complete original amazon sales report by month at the time
relating to the eBook and Print book.
eBooks were about 80%, Print books about 20%.

And to put it into perspective:
From the original amazon numbers you can easily calculate,
that the whole discussion was about MPE to receive about £48 per year.

Much of the time I had to invest to get the book ready and publish it, is still unpaid,
as this would normally hopefully be covered by future sales until there is any penny in my pocket.

I still do own a few of those books
- so might sell them at high price on ebay in the future ...
Or just bin them.

Just following the link in your post,
I can see, that you sell the book I had formatted, edited and published on your website now.
https://www.mpeforth.com/resource-links/books/
I wonder how this is possible, as the link leads to amazon
Program Forth, Stephen Pelc
about GBP 10 from Amazon 10.00 GBP 11.62 EUR 12.72 USD
Programming Forth: Version July 2016 Paperback – 2 Aug. 2018
by Stephen Pelc (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)

minforth

Jan 11, 2024, 11:47:14 AMJan 11
How come this reminds me of a large block of flats
where all the residents have their private arguments
in public in the stairwell ???

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 16, 2024, 12:38:37 PMJan 16
According to the way you post here,
I am really confused - as probably many others
it seems that

neither mpeforth.com
nor vfxforth.com
are the same company

And are part of the Forth Sales Product group anymore really or seriously.
This only leaves forth.com

No issue for me or many others I assume.

But how can both companies at the same address exist at the same time?

At least either MPE or VFX should make it clear to the community.

Stephen Pelc

Jan 17, 2024, 4:41:15 AMJan 17
On 16 Jan 2024 at 18:38:34 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> it seems that
>
> neither mpeforth.com
> nor vfxforth.com
> are the same company

The company is MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd.

mpeforth.com
and
vfxforth.com
are domain names. Consider them as brands owned by the company.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 17, 2024, 7:47:08 AMJan 17
On Wednesday 17 January 2024 at 09:41:15 UTC, Stephen Pelc wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2024 at 18:38:34 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it seems that
> >
> > neither mpeforth.com
> > nor vfxforth.com
> > are the same company
> The company is MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd.
>
> mpeforth.com
> and
> vfxforth.com
> are domain names. Consider them as brands owned by the company.
> Stephen

Thank you very much for the update.

It still leaves the Wodni and Pelc post open,
where it states that MPEFORTH will disappear when the joint GMBH is established
- at least how I understand it:

https://wodni.at/
18 months ago it was stated there:
Wodni & Pelc GmbH Gründung
Wir befinden uns gerade in der Umgründung zur GmbH.
In diesem Schritt übernehmen wir die Microprocessor Engineering Ltd..
Unsere gemeinsame Folgewebsite finden Sie unter VFXForth.com
Unter der Marke VFX finden Sie unsere Produkte für
Deeply Embedded Systems, Compiler und Cross Language Interfaces.

And a quick translation of this post from 18 months ago:
Wodni & Pelc GmbH founding
We are currently in the process of becoming a GmbH.
In this step we are taking over Microprocessor Engineering Ltd.
You can find our joint follow on website at VFXForth.com
Under the VFX brand you will find our products for
deeply embedded systems, compilers and cross language interfaces.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 29, 2024, 2:53:13 AMJan 29
Is there any statement from either party
who are supposedly members of this new company
started 18 months ago?

Stephen Pelc

Jan 29, 2024, 5:43:42 AMJan 29
a) Statement about what?
b) No.

In considering any potential response to a), please consider b).

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 29, 2024, 7:54:56 AMJan 29
I c)

Stephen Pelc

Jan 29, 2024, 11:18:21 AMJan 29
See a)
See b)

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 7:17:39 AMFeb 1
As neither you nor your new partner has commented in any way about this new company,

You are basically stating by default, that the deal is off , and
MPE stays as is.

Thank you for confirming this.

Stephen Pelc

Feb 1, 2024, 7:24:22 AMFeb 1
On 1 Feb 2024 at 12:17:37 GMT, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are basically stating by default, that the deal is off , and
> MPE stays as is.
>
> Thank you for confirming this.

Total bullshit.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 9:24:44 AMFeb 1
The bullshit is actually coming from Stephen Pelc,
who seems to be ill,
as he cannot even write full sentences anymore.
Very sad.

I am really confused - as probably many others here probably are - ,
that no clear answer from the Managing Director of MPE is possible.

It would be rather simple to tell the Forth Community,
if MPE is interested:
Regarding the change to a GMBH as announced by Mr. Wodni
d) it has been done but not announced
e) it has been delayed
f) it has been cancelled

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 2:09:45 PMFeb 1
And I have to thank MPE
who basically dragged me into the Forth community,
then hired me as a consultant for many years.

I was on the MPE website as the Sales and Marketing Manager for many years.
Helped to update the old MPE website to look a bit better,
actually generated some magazine coverage via the PRs that are still on the MPE website,

the Forth support requirements triggered my idea to start the Forth Bookshelf.
This is how this first post here actually started, until it changed unfortunately.

And the Forth Bookshelf I did will be there for the people, to help the ones
who want to get started.
And I can be proud, that some of them are the most recent published Forth documentation
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 2, 2024, 4:43:45 AMFeb 2
And the MicroBox project Paul Bennet and I initiated, got the funding for, and supported there at the IET event as well.
Definitely the largest Multiprocessor display at the end of the video.
About 250 systems running MPE VFX
Unfortunatelty the IET cut us out both of the video, just my hands with the MicroBox are visible
https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=7386

Many companies donated money or components for this project.
About 300 systems were built there, all running MPE Forth on the MSP430G2553.
A real fun project.
The proof I was there, see the man with the yellow t-shirt
https://www.eurocircuits.com/blog/eurocircuits-supports-iet-activity-at-peakcamp-201/

Here some of the companies who supported this project.
https://alt.forth-ev.de/filemgmt_data/files/IET_Letter-asking_for%20_support_05_16_epic.pdf
Later on Dyson joined as well and donated a price.

dxf

Feb 2, 2024, 7:55:28 PMFeb 2
Not everything in life is transactional. That way only leads to disappointment.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 3, 2024, 2:48:15 AMFeb 3

> Not everything in life is transactional. That way only leads to disappointment.

What is meant by being transactional?
Transactional Relationship | Definition & Characteristics ...
Transactional relationships are built on the expectation for reciprocation. Both individuals are concerned with how they will benefit. Individuals are self-serving, making sure they get as much as they can from the relationship for a set amount of work in return.

I learnt a lot from the people here, nothing to do with transactional.
No disappointment here.
The Forth bookshelf will still be available. This how it started here.
I just wanted to post it here as a summary , before the posting stops on 22 Feb ...

Jurgen Pitaske

dxf

Feb 4, 2024, 1:15:13 AMFeb 4
On 3/02/2024 6:48 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> What is meant by being transactional?
> ... Individuals are self-serving, making sure they get as much as they can from the relationship for a set amount of work in return.

Excellent definition. So the individual by its very nature can never be self-less.
Everything is a competition, or as Bertrand Russell put it:

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim."

Ingo Mathyl

Feb 4, 2024, 8:42:14 AMFeb 4
Also Werbung für Ihre Bücher ist dieser Thread ganz sicher nicht Herr Pintaske.

Grüße aus Hamburg

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 4, 2024, 1:24:56 PMFeb 4
It seems you are new here.
Over the last 10 years there has been a lot worse here -
in comparison these here now are rather friendly.
And I have continued to generate new books or non-Forth ones.
I just like to do it as I have spare time.

And the information here is not for the ones who laugh about this old stuff anyway
but for the ones that are interested and want to start, and find one here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Actually - the ones who are not interested will not buy one
The ones that are interested might.
New people here have to start somewhere and might find something that suits them.

Promotion / marketing / sales and so on are spit on often here, as Forth programmers know better anyway.
One of the reasons why Forth is loosing traction????
They forget that they do it everyday themselves -
for example making themselves look special looking for a new job,
or even find a new partner ...

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 4, 2024, 1:43:08 PMFeb 4
And it does not matter how good or how bad the books of my bookshelf are.
Let the market judge.
Just had a look again how many Forth books are part of the top 100 at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/3970/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_5_last#5

Top 100 Best Sellers in Compiler Design
6 of the Forth books I published
0 other Forth books