My Forth Bookshelf

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 5:50:49 AMJan 6
All the Best for 2024 to everybody here.

Just to remind everybody about the Forth Books
we have published over the years
( and there are a few others, not for Forth on the same page ... )
Especially for people who might not have heard about them
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 8:37:13 AMJan 6
Much of the information in there you can find somewhere on the internet,
but the idea here was, to have it as a formatted book or eBook.

And I do have the ok from all of the authors to have it published as book.
Actually you can see some cover pages with the Mug I had sent to the people.
For example
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eForth-Zen-32-bit-86eForth-Visual/dp/B08C9761VH/?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_w=HuovT&pf_rd_p=3413293e-3815-4359-96ba-1ec5110e0b30&pf_rd_r=262-6131874-1834657&pd_rd_wg=dsjuG&pd_rd_r=3770eaf4-61d7-47ab-a27a-2c65432eddf4&content-id=amzn1.sym.3413293e-3815-4359-96ba-1ec5110e0b30&ref_=aufs_ap_sc_dsk

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 8:53:51 AMJan 6

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 9:12:24 AMJan 6
A a list of the Forth books there:

The Forth Bookshelf
This is part of the current Forth Bookshelf and some others and can be found at
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM

1 Charles Moore - Forth - The Early Years: Background information about the
beginnings of this Computer Language

2 Charles Moore - Programming A Problem Oriented Language: Forth - how the
internals work

3 Leo Brodie - Starting Forth -The Classic

4 Leo Wong – Juergen Pintaske – Stephen Pelc FORTH LITE TUTORIAL: Code
tested with free MPE VFX Forth, SwiftForth and Gforth

5 Juergen Pintaske – A START WITH FORTH - Bits to Bites Collection
– 12 Words to start, then 35 Words, Javascript Forth on the Web, more

( 6 Stephen Pelc - Programming Forth: Version July 2016 )
( unfortunatey the availability of this book had to be stopped )

7 Brad Rodriguez - Moving Forth / TTL CPU / B.Y.O. Assembler

8 Tim Hentlass - Real Time Forth

9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3

10 Chen-Hanson Ting - Zen and the Forth Language: EFORTH for the
MSP430G2552 from Texas Instruments

11 Chen-Hanson Ting - eForth and Zen - 3rd Edition 2017: with 32-bit
86eForth v5.2 for Visual Studio 2015

12 Chen-Hanson Ting - eForth Overview

13 Chen-Hanson Ting - FIG-Forth Manual Document /Test in 1802 IP

14 Chen-Hanson Ting - EP32 RISC Processor IP: Description and
Implementation into FPGA – ASIC tested by NASA

15 Chen-Hanson Ting – Irriducible Complexity

16 Chen-Hanson Ting - Arduino controlled by eForth

17 Chen-Hanson Ting – eForth as Arduino Sketch – no Programmer needed

( 18 Burkhard Kainka - Learning Programming with MyCo: )
( Learning Programming easily - independent of a PC (Forth code to follow soon) )

( 19 Burkhard Kainka - BBC Micro:bit: Tests Tricks Secrets Code, Additional MicroBit )
more info to follow when running the Mecrisp Package

( 20 Burkhard Kainka – Thomas Baum – Web Programming ATYTINY13 )

21 Georg Heinrichs - The ATTINY Project – Why Forth?

22 Dr. Karl Meinzer - IPS, a Forth-like language for Space
Juergen Pintaske, publisher, July 2020

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 6, 2024, 11:44:47 AMJan 6
To get started on an Arduino with
eForth as Arduino Sketch, try the 39 steps
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:430eforth:start
Message has been deleted

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 6:46:36 AMJan 7
In article <be0860be-670f-48d8...@googlegroups.com>,
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
<NIP>
>9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3

I have "Footsteps In An Empty Valley" with no mention of issue.
Is that issue 1 ?

Groetjes Albert
--
Don't praise the day before the evening. One swallow doesn't make spring.
You must not say "hey" before you have crossed the bridge. Don't sell the

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 7:09:51 AMJan 7
I am sorry, but this is the version Isaue 3 Ting gave me to convert into a book.
We had hoped that Ting would be there in the background to help with any questions.
Which is unfortunately not the case now.

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 10:36:49 AMJan 7
In article <9c2b6fd7-7d87-4ed4...@googlegroups.com>,
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday 7 January 2024 at 11:46:36 UTC, none albert wrote:
>> In article <be0860be-670f-48d8...@googlegroups.com>,
>> Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> <NIP>
>> >9 Chen-Hanson Ting - Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3
>> I have "Footsteps In An Empty Valley" with no mention of issue.
>> Is that issue 1 ?
>>
>> Groetjes Albert
>
>I am sorry, but this is the version Isaue 3 Ting gave me to convert into a book.
>We had hoped that Ting would be there in the background to help with any questions.
>Which is unfortunately not the case now.

Can that be any chance be Third *Edition* March 1988 ?
Then we have the same book.
My content reads:
1.1 The von Neumann machine instruction set
1.2 .. RISC..
1.3 .. NC4000 ..

2.1 NC4000 pin names an functions.
2.2 ..

3.1 ALU code and functions
3.2 Y-port ..
3.3 ... stack ..
3.4 shift ..
3.5 .. ALU ..
3.6 .. I/O ..
3.7 .. internal registers ..
3.8 .. bits .. i/o registers
4.1 pins ..
6.1 .. cycles ..

Can you comment on the antiquarian value?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 1:21:59 PMJan 7
Copy of the contents pages from the upload of the book:

Contents
( page numbers are from the printed version )
Preface for the Third Edition
Forward for the First Edition
iii
My Electronic Bookshelf
Contents
ix
Figures
xii
Tables
xiv

Chapter 1
Introduction 1
1.1
Historical background 1
1.2
RISC Panacea 2

Chapter2
The NC4000 Chip 7
2.1
Features of NC4000 chip 7
2.2
External data paths 7
2.2.1
Main memory 11
2.2.2
Data stack and return stack 11
2.2.3
B-port and X-port 12
2.2.4
System timing and control 13
2.3
NC4000 architecture 14
2.3.1
The internal registers 14
2.3.2
Program sequencer 16
2.3.3
Data stack and return Stack 17
2.3.4
Arithmetic Logic Unit (ALU) 18
2.3.5
The I/0 ports 20

Chapter 3
The Instruction Set of NC4000 22
3.1
Classification of NC4000 instructions 23
3.2
ALU instructions 26
3.3
I/0 and memory instructions 31
3.4
Graphic models of some NC4000 instructions 33
3.4.1
Model of NC4000 ALU 34
3.4.2
The SWAP group 35
3.4.3
The DUP group 37
3.4.4
The binary ALU group 38
3.4.5
The multiply/divide group 39
3.4.6
Miscellaneous instructions 42

Chapter 4
NC4000 Computers 45
4.1
Commercial products using NC4000 chip 45
4.1.1
The early alphabetic boards 45
4.1.2
The Forthkits from Computer Cowboys 46
4.1.3
Products from Novix, Inc. 46
4.1.4
Products from Silicon Composers 47
4.1.5
Other companies and products 47
4.1.6
List of manufacturers 48
4.2
Build your own NC4000 computer 48
4.2.1
The CPU section 49
4.2.2
I/0 ports 50
4.2.3
Main memory 51
4.2.4
Data stack and return stack 53
4.3
Circuit boards for NC4000 computer 54
4.4
Hardware enhancements 55
4.4.1
PAL memory decoder OF5138 55
4.4.2
Stack expansion counter OF5493 57
4.4.3
Another novel memory decoding technique 58

Chapter 5
The cmForth Operating System 61
5.1
The kernel 61
5.1.1
The primitive Forth words 61
5.1.2
Memory accessing words 63
5.1.3
Multiply and divide 65
5.2
System variables 67
5.3
Terminal input and output 68
5.3.1
Primitive input and output words 68
5.3.2
Line input and output words 69
5.4
Number conversion 70
5.4.1
Convert digits to binary number 70
5.4.2
Convert binary number to ASCII string 72
5.4.3
Memory dump 73
5.4.4
Message output 74
5.5
Serial disk 75
5.5.1
Disk buffer manager 75
5.5.2
Disk read and write 77
5.6
The text interpreter 79
5.6.1
Parsing of words 79
5.6.2
Dictionary search 80
5.6.3
The interpreter 83
5.6.4
Power up and reset 84
5.7
Compiler 87
5.7.1
Compiler loop 87
5.7.2
Defining words 91
5.7.3
Control structures 93
5.7.4
NC4000 assembler 95
5.7.5
Compiler vocabulary 99
5.8
Optimizing compiler 99
5.8.1
Smart ; compiler 100
5.8.2
Smart ALU function compiler 101
5.8.3
Shift compiler 103
5.8.4
Merging of DUP 104
5.9
The target compiler 104
5.9.1
Utility compiler 105
5.9.2
Target dictionary 106
5.9.3
Variables in target dictionary 107
5.9.4
Separate target and host dictionary 108
5.9.5
Target compiler in action 109

Chapter 6
Programming Tips 112
6.1
Benchmarks 112
6.2
WORDS—listing the vocabulary 113
6.3
Memory dump 115
6.4
Line editor 116
6.5
Stack pictures 118
6.6
Display internal registers 119
6.7
Input and output 120
6.8
PICK and ROLL 122
6.9
Square-root 123
6.10
Terminal and disk server on IBM-PC 124
6.11
Arcsine by interpolation 127
6.12
High speed pattern generator 128
6.13
A/D conversion with NC4000 132
6.14
Fast byte flip 135
6.15
More vocabularies 136

Appendix A
cmForth Source Listing 138
Appendix B
cmForth Glossary 164
Index 170

This is what came from Ting to me originally
and he wanted to have edited, formatted and published on amazon

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 7, 2024, 1:35:06 PMJan 7
Having had a look elsewhere, it is probably closest to
http://forth.org/OffeteStore/OffeteStore.html

none albert

Jan 7, 2024, 6:41:08 PMJan 7
In article <14cf69c7-e76b-4ac0...@googlegroups.com>,
Definitely the same book.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 8, 2024, 11:49:50 AMJan 8
Thank you very much for confirming this.
Building the Forth Bookshelf seems to have supported its purpose
of saving data material availability for thye next 20+ years

dxf

Jan 8, 2024, 9:32:13 PMJan 8
For as long as the business interests you anyway. Not that the rest of us
care more. When it's our turn to lose interest, we won't give a damn either.
All that matters is that we profit while we do.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 2:57:41 AMJan 9
This is another one of your Definitely eXtra Fucking useless comments - as your name dxf states.

It all started when I did consulting work for MPE as part of it,
and then just continued as the system had been set up.

And I got some very positive feedback over the years from the people who bought them.
And on amazon you can see what people posted about these books.

I assume that all of the people here just search the Internet for the free versions and download them.
Which is fine for me. These books are targeted at people who do not know what to search for,
or just want them for any other reason.

I just received the first version of Chucks book as Hard Cover in addition to eBook and print book.
It is definitely a different feeling to flick through this one.
Especially as there is the video where Chuck receives 3 of my books as a present from me
- taken to the Forth Meeting by Paul Bennett.

We have seen many of your negative comments over the years
- well, this is just your personality.

none albert

Jan 9, 2024, 5:35:43 AMJan 9
In article <2f11c203-85e8-4da0...@googlegroups.com>,
As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
of the content of Ting's book?
Thank you.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 5:58:38 AMJan 9
I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
And I do not want a flame war.
He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did
- so it was him, not me who started it if so.

minforth

Jan 9, 2024, 6:16:11 AMJan 9
Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> On Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 10:35:43 UTC, none albert wrote:
>> As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
>> of the content of Ting's book?
>> Thank you.

> I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
> And I do not want a flame war.
> He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did
> - so it was him, not me who started it if so.

To add another useless comment: don't comment on dxf, it's useless. ;-)

By the way, I appreciate your work to create some sort of Forth antiquarian
bookshop. So many good things from the past just get forgotten.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 9, 2024, 11:01:49 AMJan 9
Thank you very much. It was a lot of work over the last 12 years. And it seems they are the most recent Forth books.

dxf

Jan 9, 2024, 10:43:04 PMJan 9
Hardly since it was a comment on your business spam and the self-promotion
therein. Perhaps you might consider instead an unobtrusive sig as the other
vendors do.

dxf

Jan 10, 2024, 1:10:52 AMJan 10
On 9/01/2024 10:13 pm, minforth wrote:
> Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
>
>> On Tuesday 9 January 2024 at 10:35:43 UTC, none albert wrote:
>>> As you want to start of a flame war, can you at least SNIP the umptieth copy
>>> of the content of Ting's book? Thank you.
>
>> I am very sorry, I just quite simply forgot to delete this part.
>> And I do not want a flame war.
>> He was asking me to comment in the way he commented which I did - so it was him, not me who started it if so.
>
> To add another useless comment: don't comment on dxf, it's useless. ;-)

Can't speak for Jurgen but feel free. You never know your luck.

> By the way, I appreciate your work to create some sort of Forth antiquarian
> bookshop. So many good things from the past just get forgotten.
Forth antiquarian books from Amazon/Kindle in 20 years time? Not likely.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 10, 2024, 2:49:21 AMJan 10
Just fell over this link. Made me smile
Number 57
https://bookauthority.org/books/best-selling-arduino-development-books

dxf

Jan 10, 2024, 7:16:21 PMJan 10
It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
back to the original author?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 11, 2024, 2:13:53 AMJan 11
This is business between the author and me - and none of your business.

none albert

Jan 11, 2024, 4:33:31 AMJan 11
The proper thing to do (but only in the first response) is to shorten the
offending message replacing the most part of the Ting's
content overview with <SNIP>.
In a second response it is inexcusable.

You have much to learn about nettiquette.
The sig is according to the rules (4 line at most.)
One of the rules is deleting the sigs in a response.

>> - so it was him, not me who started it if so.

Stephen Pelc

Jan 11, 2024, 6:02:44 AMJan 11
On 11 Jan 2024 at 01:16:19 CET, "dxf" <dxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
> What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
> back to the original author?

Nothing, nada, 0%. That's why no MPE publications will ever
be available from that source, but are available for free from the
MPE website at
https://www.mpeforth.com/resource-links/books/

Stephen
--
Stephen Pelc, ste...@vfxforth.com
MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd. - More Real, Less Time

Stephen Pelc

Jan 11, 2024, 6:03:22 AMJan 11
On 11 Jan 2024 at 01:16:19 CET, "dxf" <dxf...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
> What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
> back to the original author?

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 11, 2024, 9:46:04 AMJan 11

Let us stick to the truth please.

We had an agreement to have this book
run as edited, formatted and published by me on amazon.
This lasted for about 3 years .
Then you changed your mind.
Fine for me - your decision, but your conditions I could not agree with.

This all was probably caused by me having to remind you of a couple of months late payments of the consultancy invoices.
It had not been a problem for me at the time and you then paid.
But there we are.

The value generated by this book was so low,
that it was easier for me to unpublish/stop the book and stop availability than to find, calculate what to transfer every time to MPE.
It takes quite some time to get this out of the summary report with worldwide places with all different currencies..
It would cost me more in consultant time than it was worth.

I gave you all of the numbers at the time.

I had sent you the complete original amazon sales report by month at the time
relating to the eBook and Print book.
eBooks were about 80%, Print books about 20%.

And to put it into perspective:
From the original amazon numbers you can easily calculate,
that the whole discussion was about MPE to receive about £48 per year.

Much of the time I had to invest to get the book ready and publish it, is still unpaid,
as this would normally hopefully be covered by future sales until there is any penny in my pocket.

I still do own a few of those books
- so might sell them at high price on ebay in the future ...
Or just bin them.

Just following the link in your post,
I can see, that you sell the book I had formatted, edited and published on your website now.
https://www.mpeforth.com/resource-links/books/
I wonder how this is possible, as the link leads to amazon
Program Forth, Stephen Pelc
about GBP 10 from Amazon 10.00 GBP 11.62 EUR 12.72 USD
Programming Forth: Version July 2016 Paperback – 2 Aug. 2018
by Stephen Pelc (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)

minforth

Jan 11, 2024, 11:47:14 AMJan 11
How come this reminds me of a large block of flats
where all the residents have their private arguments
in public in the stairwell ???

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 16, 2024, 12:38:37 PMJan 16
According to the way you post here,
I am really confused - as probably many others
it seems that

neither mpeforth.com
nor vfxforth.com
are the same company

And are part of the Forth Sales Product group anymore really or seriously.
This only leaves forth.com

No issue for me or many others I assume.

But how can both companies at the same address exist at the same time?

At least either MPE or VFX should make it clear to the community.

Stephen Pelc

Jan 17, 2024, 4:41:15 AMJan 17
On 16 Jan 2024 at 18:38:34 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:

> it seems that
>
> neither mpeforth.com
> nor vfxforth.com
> are the same company

The company is MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd.

mpeforth.com
and
vfxforth.com
are domain names. Consider them as brands owned by the company.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 17, 2024, 7:47:08 AMJan 17
On Wednesday 17 January 2024 at 09:41:15 UTC, Stephen Pelc wrote:
> On 16 Jan 2024 at 18:38:34 CET, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > it seems that
> >
> > neither mpeforth.com
> > nor vfxforth.com
> > are the same company
> The company is MicroProcessor Engineering, Ltd.
>
> mpeforth.com
> and
> vfxforth.com
> are domain names. Consider them as brands owned by the company.
> Stephen

Thank you very much for the update.

It still leaves the Wodni and Pelc post open,
where it states that MPEFORTH will disappear when the joint GMBH is established
- at least how I understand it:

https://wodni.at/
18 months ago it was stated there:
Wodni & Pelc GmbH Gründung
Wir befinden uns gerade in der Umgründung zur GmbH.
In diesem Schritt übernehmen wir die Microprocessor Engineering Ltd..
Unsere gemeinsame Folgewebsite finden Sie unter VFXForth.com
Unter der Marke VFX finden Sie unsere Produkte für
Deeply Embedded Systems, Compiler und Cross Language Interfaces.

And a quick translation of this post from 18 months ago:
Wodni & Pelc GmbH founding
We are currently in the process of becoming a GmbH.
In this step we are taking over Microprocessor Engineering Ltd.
You can find our joint follow on website at VFXForth.com
Under the VFX brand you will find our products for
deeply embedded systems, compilers and cross language interfaces.

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 29, 2024, 2:53:13 AMJan 29
Is there any statement from either party
who are supposedly members of this new company
started 18 months ago?

Stephen Pelc

Jan 29, 2024, 5:43:42 AMJan 29
a) Statement about what?
b) No.

In considering any potential response to a), please consider b).

Jurgen Pitaske

Jan 29, 2024, 7:54:56 AMJan 29
I c)

Stephen Pelc

Jan 29, 2024, 11:18:21 AMJan 29
See a)
See b)

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 7:17:39 AMFeb 1
As neither you nor your new partner has commented in any way about this new company,

You are basically stating by default, that the deal is off , and
MPE stays as is.

Thank you for confirming this.

Stephen Pelc

Feb 1, 2024, 7:24:22 AMFeb 1
On 1 Feb 2024 at 12:17:37 GMT, "Jurgen Pitaske" <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:
> You are basically stating by default, that the deal is off , and
> MPE stays as is.
>
> Thank you for confirming this.

Total bullshit.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 9:24:44 AMFeb 1
The bullshit is actually coming from Stephen Pelc,
who seems to be ill,
as he cannot even write full sentences anymore.
Very sad.

I am really confused - as probably many others here probably are - ,
that no clear answer from the Managing Director of MPE is possible.

It would be rather simple to tell the Forth Community,
if MPE is interested:
Regarding the change to a GMBH as announced by Mr. Wodni
d) it has been done but not announced
e) it has been delayed
f) it has been cancelled

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 1, 2024, 2:09:45 PMFeb 1
And I have to thank MPE
who basically dragged me into the Forth community,
then hired me as a consultant for many years.

I was on the MPE website as the Sales and Marketing Manager for many years.
Helped to update the old MPE website to look a bit better,
actually generated some magazine coverage via the PRs that are still on the MPE website,

the Forth support requirements triggered my idea to start the Forth Bookshelf.
This is how this first post here actually started, until it changed unfortunately.

And the Forth Bookshelf I did will be there for the people, to help the ones
who want to get started.
And I can be proud, that some of them are the most recent published Forth documentation
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 2, 2024, 4:43:45 AMFeb 2
And the MicroBox project Paul Bennet and I initiated, got the funding for, and supported there at the IET event as well.
Definitely the largest Multiprocessor display at the end of the video.
About 250 systems running MPE VFX
Unfortunatelty the IET cut us out both of the video, just my hands with the MicroBox are visible
https://tv.theiet.org/?videoid=7386

Many companies donated money or components for this project.
About 300 systems were built there, all running MPE Forth on the MSP430G2553.
A real fun project.
The proof I was there, see the man with the yellow t-shirt
https://www.eurocircuits.com/blog/eurocircuits-supports-iet-activity-at-peakcamp-201/

Here some of the companies who supported this project.
https://alt.forth-ev.de/filemgmt_data/files/IET_Letter-asking_for%20_support_05_16_epic.pdf
Later on Dyson joined as well and donated a price.

dxf

Feb 2, 2024, 7:55:28 PMFeb 2
Not everything in life is transactional. That way only leads to disappointment.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 3, 2024, 2:48:15 AMFeb 3

> Not everything in life is transactional. That way only leads to disappointment.

What is meant by being transactional?
Transactional Relationship | Definition & Characteristics ...
Transactional relationships are built on the expectation for reciprocation. Both individuals are concerned with how they will benefit. Individuals are self-serving, making sure they get as much as they can from the relationship for a set amount of work in return.

I learnt a lot from the people here, nothing to do with transactional.
No disappointment here.
The Forth bookshelf will still be available. This how it started here.
I just wanted to post it here as a summary , before the posting stops on 22 Feb ...

Jurgen Pitaske

dxf

Feb 4, 2024, 1:15:13 AMFeb 4
On 3/02/2024 6:48 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> What is meant by being transactional?
> ... Individuals are self-serving, making sure they get as much as they can from the relationship for a set amount of work in return.

Excellent definition. So the individual by its very nature can never be self-less.
Everything is a competition, or as Bertrand Russell put it:

"Life is nothing but a competition to be the criminal rather than the victim."

Ingo Mathyl

Feb 4, 2024, 8:42:14 AMFeb 4
Also Werbung für Ihre Bücher ist dieser Thread ganz sicher nicht Herr Pintaske.

Grüße aus Hamburg

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 4, 2024, 1:24:56 PMFeb 4
It seems you are new here.
Over the last 10 years there has been a lot worse here -
in comparison these here now are rather friendly.
And I have continued to generate new books or non-Forth ones.
I just like to do it as I have spare time.

And the information here is not for the ones who laugh about this old stuff anyway
but for the ones that are interested and want to start, and find one here
https://www.amazon.co.uk/stores/Juergen-Pintaske/author/B00N8HVEZM?ref=ap_rdr&isDramIntegrated=true&shoppingPortalEnabled=true

Actually - the ones who are not interested will not buy one
The ones that are interested might.
New people here have to start somewhere and might find something that suits them.

Promotion / marketing / sales and so on are spit on often here, as Forth programmers know better anyway.
One of the reasons why Forth is loosing traction????
They forget that they do it everyday themselves -
for example making themselves look special looking for a new job,
or even find a new partner ...

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 4, 2024, 1:43:08 PMFeb 4
And it does not matter how good or how bad the books of my bookshelf are.
Let the market judge.
Just had a look again how many Forth books are part of the top 100 at
https://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/3970/ref=pd_zg_hrsr_b_1_5_last#5

Top 100 Best Sellers in Compiler Design
6 of the Forth books I published
0 other Forth books
How should this be interpreted????????

Marc Olschok

Feb 4, 2024, 8:13:35 PMFeb 4
On Sat, 03 Feb 2024 08:48:14 Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> [...]
>
> I learnt a lot from the people here, nothing to do with transactional.
> No disappointment here.
> The Forth bookshelf will still be available. This how it started here.
> I just wanted to post it here as a summary , before the posting stops on 22 Feb ...

Promise?

--
M.O.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 5, 2024, 6:00:50 AMFeb 5
Thank you very much for this useless and completely meaningless post.

It demonsterates the level of intelligence of some people posting here now.

Or is to the average intelligence level of the people who work at
Fernuniversitaet in Hagen ? Then it would be ok.
https://www.fernuni-hagen.de/MATHEMATIK/DMO/mitarbeiter/olschok.html

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 12:12:11 PMFeb 8
One of the main books on the Forth Bookshelf:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Starting-Forth-Leo-Brodie-ebook/dp/B01MS7YDKD/ref=zg-te-pba_d_sccl_1_1/262-6131874-1834657?pd_rd_w=8HY7n&content-id=amzn1.sym.c072daa0-3920-4b4d-83e5-1f5f31c763e0&pf_rd_p=c072daa0-3920-4b4d-83e5-1f5f31c763e0&pf_rd_r=F4CT9ACM0R9X3MPW1XV5&pd_rd_wg=VVVTx&pd_rd_r=acfe5fd7-efd0-4055-b9bd-6fdd3a01eb2d&pd_rd_i=B01MS7YDKD&psc=1

Starting Forth Kindle Edition
by Leo Brodie (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition

4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 21 ratings
See all formats and editions

Starting FORTH by Leo Brodie
Starting Forth, the classic Forth language tutorial, is available here in its official online edition. Updates to the original Starting FORTH text include code examples that run on iForth and SwiftForth systems. Aficionados (and detractors) of the original book's illustrations will find most of them restored in this official edition by FORTH, Inc.
"…I hope this book is not so easy and enjoyable that it seems trivial. Be warned that there is heavy content here and that you can learn much about computers and compilers as well as about programming."
—Charles Moore, Forth's inventor
"A Forth to be reckoned with..."
—Leo Brodie, Author

About the book
Starting FORTH has been the classic Forth tutorial and textbook since its first release. Many experienced programmers have commented on its concise utility and completeness. Beginners will find a carefully planned introduction to the Forth programming language that will prepare them for other books like Forth Application Techniques and Forth Programmer's Handbook.
FORTH, Inc. and the book's author, Leo Brodie, thank the global community for its continued enthusiasm for this book. Many have sought a new copy, a used copy, or have asked for a reprinting. It is our pleasure to now present this online edition, with great appreciation for work done by Marcel Hendrix to generate a web version on which these pages were based.

Notes about this online edition
Changes made by FORTH, Inc. to Marcel's version were primarily related to internet coding standards and visual presentation. We also restored the book's original illustrations here, in most cases. The following notes are also relevant and important to those familiar with the original edition.

Notes by Marcel Hendrix
This transcript is not an exact reproduction. Forth code has been ANSified. All code should run on, at least iForth. Where necessary, statements that were valid in 1981 have been exchanged with statements more appropriate for 2003 (when this tribute was written)….
I have assumed a 32-bit, byte-addressing Forth with 8-bit characters. The address returned by WORD is assumed to be HERE. This allows the common trick of ALLOTing length of str CHARS after using WORD in order to compile string str to memory. Multitasking issues are ignored (e.g. no >TYPE, just TYPE). Division is symmetric, not floored, and two's complement is assumed throughout. iForth works splendidly with it, but other Forths will work too. Chapter 7 exploits extended uses of number conversion. Most Forths are broken in this respect, but iForth and SwiftForth support these neat features.
Other Forth Books and Classes
As noted above, once you have progressed from the beginning stages and look for more-practical and detailed information, several resources are available. The Forth books Forth Application Techniques and Forth Programmer's Handbook are a good next step. In addition, Forth classes and training are available at our offices or, by arrangement, at your facility.
Thank you again for your interest in this fascinating and powerful programming language and in Starting Forth

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 1:01:29 PMFeb 8
And a collection of different Forth aspects in this book:

A Start With Forth 2017: Forth - Bits and Bites Kindle Edition
by Juergen Pintaske (Author) Format: Kindle Edition

3.3 3.3 out of 5 stars 9 ratings
See all formats and editions

...And before the question comes up: it is Bites and not Bytes – the little bites from the Forth cake collected here.
Have a Look Inside (above the picture) or order a free sample (right hand side of the amazon page) - and you have access to everything you need to try it out yourself and get a feel for how Forth works. And see which of the more demanding chapters are there ...

Forth has been around for many years – supposedly 2018 there will be a special event celebrating 50-YEARS-OF-FORTH, and hopefully the inventor Charles Moore will be participating.
There is a wide range of information available on the Internet about Forth. Too much information and too unstructured I think.
I faced the same problem, when I came back to learning a bit more about Forth after 30 years. Over the years, I had flicked through the Starting Forth by Leo Brodie book I had been given by a customer as a Thank You.
When I looked around, there was a lot of information around, mostly for more experienced people than I am in programming.
Knowing MPE and Stephen Pelc at the time helped, but I could not find the documentation and hardware descriptions to be able to digest it in very small bites at my level.
Over the last 4 years I got more into it, got to know many more people in the Forth community who helped.
In this book, I want to collect the material I used for the software and hardware aspects and on the different platforms.
Infection Area – There is a danger that you might like the concepts shown here – independent of other languages you use privately or in your work. The concepts are the same everywhere.
Risk of Addiction – It seems that the way Forth works fits the “brain setup” of some people very well – reflecting how they work anyway. And there is the other group – they detest Forth. But it is probably like Marmite, very polarizing.
Brain Massaging – Forth probably adds another way of solving problems – and this applies to ANY problem – independent but including software and language independent.
Problem Solving – The very structured way, starting with very small bits and extending them into Words ( as they are called ), basically: defining new words, merging them into phrases, chapters and finally the book is ready ( your required solution of the specified problem )
Testing – as Forth is interactive, and even the compiling only takes seconds – often less – you stay very close to your problem,can try out options, test them until ready, document this part – sorry, no chance to go for lunch while the compiler takes over. In this area Forth works best and fastest from my understanding compared to other languages.
Mixed Language Programming – MPE has introduced a product called Sockpuppet, where the MPE VFX is linked to other languages – at the moment mostly C – and all the testing advantages are accessible then via the Forth Add-On. Both groups can work independently in their best area of knowledge.
Forth Bookshelf – Over the last 4 years I got to know many people in the Forth community, and some agreed to have their documents formatted and published as eBook first and later probably as print if there is interest. Get the information exposed to a wider audience.
No Hardware - to get a general understanding of Forth, the investment is just the eBook – the examples can run on probably any PC – and some parts as well on tablet and smartphones – then using Gforth.
On Controllers – As hardware person, I want to see LEDs flash, make sounds and drive RC-Servos - here the TI MSP430 is used and as well an ST ARM board.

I must thank the many people that helped to make this book and the bookshelf possible and happen
and here just a few names:

Charles Moore, Stephen Pelc, Leon Wagner, Michael Kalus, Paul Bennett, Dirk Bruehl, Matthias Koch, Ulrich Hoffmann, Chen-Hanson Ting, Tim Hentlass, Leo Wong, Duncan Louttit, Bernd Paysan, and the Forth-ev.de Website, where many news could be published.
Juergen Pintaske, ExMark, July 2017

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 1:41:56 PMFeb 8

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 1:57:21 PMFeb 8
And more importantly,
The Book that Chuck wrote himslf and kindly allowed me to publish on amazon:

PROGRAMMING
PROBLEM-ORIENTED
LANGUAGE

Charles H. Moore
written ~ June 1970

Preface

This is an unpublished book I wrote long ago. Just after I'd written the first versions of Forth. Perhaps it explains the motivation behind Forth. There is some interest in it, and publishing is no longer relevant since I can post it on my website.
I have a typescript that I recovered from Forth, Inc long ago. I had typed it on my Smith-Corona portable, complete with overstrikes and annotations. It is illegible enough to discourage a casual reader, so I'm re-keying it in HTML.
This is useful, since I used to be a good typist and that skill has deteriorated. My fingers can use the exercise and I'm curious if I can reduce my error rate.
I'm making minimal changes to the text; just enough to fit HTML. The language remains quaint, ungrammatical or unclear. Any remaining typos are modern.

Chuck Moore 2011
COMPUTER DIVISION
File Copy

The information in his eBook has been collected from different sources, edited, formatted and prepared for eBook publication in appreciation for all the good work Charles did for designers.
Very little has been changed to leave it as original as possible.
Charles agreed to have it published as eBook and as printed book.

Juergen Pintaske, ExMark, 29 April 2014. Published as print v8 July 2018

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 1:59:14 PMFeb 8

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 8, 2024, 2:02:53 PMFeb 8
You want to get started with Forth and want to work your way through some material?

FORTH LITE TUTORIAL: Forth Tutorial tested with free MPE VFX Forth, mostly compatible with FORTH INC. SwiftForth and GForth Paperback – 2 Aug. 2018
by Juergen Pintaske (Author)
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 11 ratings
See all formats and editions
Learning by Doing. The best way to learn the computer language Forth is to try it out. As is is interactive, you see the results immediatly. You find the questions and the answers in the eBook. But you can as well download the MPE Forth Compiler software, try out the examples - and then design and try your own examples.This eBook is the third in a series. The first eBook is Forth - Early Years, how it started.The second eBook Programming a Problem Oriented Language explains the details behind the language. Here in eBook 3 you can try it out yourself - on your tablet to read questions and answers - on the PC read the eBook in the left window and run the VFX software in the right hand window and see the results from the compiler immediately.

and the link:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FORTH-LITE-TUTORIAL-compatible-SwiftForth/dp/1717970672/ref=sr_1_2?qid=1707418800&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-2

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 2:11:28 AMFeb 9
Dr. Ting has written so much documentation for the Forth community.
Here as example one, how to start with Forth using the Arduino:

eForth as Arduino Sketch: no extra Programmer Kindle Edition

by Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 3 ratings
See all formats and editions
eForth as an Arduino Sketch
Last year I decided to retire from electronics and microcontrollers. So I cleaned out my study and my garage, gave away all my tools and spare parts. I realized that I should not be a hardware engineer. I am only a programmer, and should just work on software.

Then, when I visited my brother in Denver last summer, I saw that my niece was working on a couple of Arduino Boards. On an Arduino board, there was a microcontroller in a DIP socket! That was very interesting. When I came back, I bought a couple of Arduino Uno Boards, and have been working on them since. I had to buy back tools and many electronic parts and ate my vow to stay away from hardware.

Arduino Uno is a lovely, small, cheap, and readily accessible microcontroller board. The operating system and the programming environment Arduino 0022 is a good match to the Arduino Uno Board. Through a single USB cable, you can upload programs from a PC to Arduino Uno, and then communicate with the Uno through the same cable using RS232 protocol. You write programs in C language as sketches in Arduino 0022, and the sketches are compiled and then uploaded to the ATmega328P microcontroller on Arduino Uno for execution. Sketches are C programs greatly simplified to the point that you just have to fill lines of code in the two following routines:

setup()

loop()

All intricacies and complications in the C language and its associated compiler and linker are taken care of by the Arduino 0022 system. No wonder Arduino is such a huge success.

FORTH is a programming language much better suited for microcontrollers than C. FORTH is really a programming language with a built-in operating system. It has an interpreter and a compiler so that you can write programs in small modules and interactively test and debug them. You can build large applications quickly and debug them thoroughly. FORTH also gives you access to all the hardware components in the microcontroller and all of the IO devices connected to the microcontroller.

So, I ported a very simple FORTH model, 328eForth, over to the ATmega328P microcontroller. It was written in AVR assembly language, and had to be assembled in the AVR Studio 4 IDE from Atmel Corp, and then uploaded to ATmega328P through a separated AVRISP mkll programming cable. Once 328eForth is uploaded to ATmega328P, it can communicate with the PC through the Arduino USB cable. BUT, 328eForth cannot be uploaded through the USB cable, because Arduino 0022 requires a bootloader pre-loaded in the ATmega328P to upload sketches, and 328eForth must use the bootloader section of flash memory in ATmega328P to store commands which writes new code into the application section of the flash memory at run-time.

For the serious FORTH programmer, a 328eForth system gives you the ultimate control over the ATmega328P microcontroller.
For the much larger Arduino user community, we need a FORTH implementation which is compatible with the Arduino 0022 system. Here is my solution: ceForth_328. It is written in C as a sketch. It can be compiled and uploaded by Arduino 0022. Once it is uploaded to the Atmega328P microcontroller, it communicates with the PC through the Arduino USB cable.
However, new FORTH commands are compiled only into the RAM memory in ATmega328P. You have only about 1.5 KB of RAM memory to store new commands, and when you turn off Arduino Uno, these new commands are lost.
In spite of these limitations, ceForth_328 is still a very useful system.
You can learn FORTH and use if to evaluate Arduino Uno for various applications. You can also use it to learn about the ATmega328P microcontroller, because it allows you to read and to write all the IO registers.
Find the sketch and soon more at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:430eforth:start#arduino_uno_und_arduino_nano

The link to this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eForth-Arduino-Sketch-extra-Programmer-ebook/dp/B0881YWKRY/ref=zg-te-pba_d_sccl_1_6/262-6131874-1834657?pd_rd_w=XHcWB&content-id=amzn1.sym.c072daa0-3920-4b4d-83e5-1f5f31c763e0&pf_rd_p=c072daa0-3920-4b4d-83e5-1f5f31c763e0&pf_rd_r=TB1TB0CY9K2KX13YCX0V&pd_rd_wg=XYzHF&pd_rd_r=a23b6ce4-913e-45f5-bfbf-196be1479be3&pd_rd_i=B0881YWKRY&psc=1

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 4:57:53 AMFeb 9
And the contributions of Brad Rodriguez - Forth including a processor.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Moving-Forth-Internals-TTL-Processor-ebook/dp/B07BTV7QVR/ref=sr_1_11?qid=1707418800&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-11

Moving Forth - Internals and TTL Processor Kindle Edition
by Brad Rodriguez (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
3.9 3.9 out of 5 stars 13 ratings
See all formats and editions
In 2018 we have 50 Years of Forth. When I looked for a new project for an eBook I realized that one area is not very well covered:
How do the Forth internals work?
How can you build a Minimal Processor executing Forth directly?
How do you write an Assembler in Forth?
When I looked around for some documentation, I remembered this series of articles again. They seems to fit very well together.
I contacted Brad and asked for permission to publish them as part of the Forth Bookshelf.
He liked the idea so I started formatting. I did not change any of the original material.The only part I added was an appendix, where I redid some of the pictures, so I could understand them better.
As in many cases, additional material can be found on the Forth-eV.de Wiki, and we will start with the appendix added here, and what else we might come up.
I have to thank Brad Ridriguez for the copyright to publish this documentation.
Enjoy reading and any feedback please send to epld...@aol.com.

From Brad: Everyone in the Forth community talks about how easy it is to port Forth to a new CPU. But like many "easy" and "obvious" tasks, not much is written on how to do it! So, when Bill Kibler suggested this topic for an article, I decided to break with the great oral tradition of Forthwrights, and document the process in black and white.
Over the course of these articles I will develop Forths for the 6809, 8051, and Z80. I'm doing the 6809 to illustrate an easy and conventional Forth model; plus, I've already published a 6809 assembler [ROD91,ROD92], and I'll be needing a 6809 Forth for future TCJ projects. I'm doing the 8051 Forth for a University project, but it also illustrates some rather different design decisions. The Z80 Forth is for all the CP/M readers of TCJ, and for some friends with TRS-80s gathering dust.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:33:25 AMFeb 9
And IPS - FORTH on Satellites
https://www.amazon.co.uk/IPS-Forth-like-Language-PROGRAMMING-SYSTEMS-ebook/dp/B07SGWCSKT/ref=sr_1_5?qid=1707418800&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-5

IPS - a Forth-like Language for Space: HIGH LEVEL PROGRAMMING OF SMALL SYSTEMS IN SPACE Kindle Edition
by Dr. Meinzer (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.8 4.8 out of 5 stars 9 ratings
See all formats and editions
The IPS System - 1 General design considerations IPS was primarily designed to allow the speedy writing of programs intended for the control of satellites, scientific data collection and other engineering applications. There are many programming languages claiming to be suitable for these applications. But on closer inspection most of these require either rather large systems and thus are not very practical for microcomputers or they have serious limitations, like insufficient speed or no multiprogramming. Most control oriented languages are derived from languages created for mathematical or commercial data processing. Generally, this means that the real-time part needs to be handled by the operating system, and the power of this combination is highly dependent on the capabilities of the operating system.With IPS a different approach was possible, since there is no real need to maintain compatibility with other languages and an entirely different approach could be taken. Every programming language represents an interface between machine and men. Thus, it must comply with two requirements: 1. The language should allow the translation of programs making efficient use of the underlying processor, both from a speed and memory economy point of view. This is essentially an engineering problem. 2. The language should allow the expression of problems in a way matching the human understanding and decomposition of problems; the system is to be "user-friendly". Achieving this is not an engineering problem, but a problem of psychology and aesthetics - a form of art. Let us look at the second point first. In order to be able to put the problem into perspective it would be necessary to define the "human way of understanding"; obviously an impossible task because it would have to take into account the different backgrounds of all the people intending to use the system.The second best approach would be to isolate certain general aspects of a problem area and make sure that these are matched by the language.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:36:19 AMFeb 9
FIG FORTH and the 1802
https://www.amazon.co.uk/FIG-Forth-Manual-Documentation-Test-1802-ebook/dp/B01N42VLJE/ref=sr_1_25?qid=1707485671&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-25

FIG-Forth Manual: Documentation and Test in 1802 IP Kindle Edition
by C-H Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Author), Steve Teal (Author) Format: Kindle Edition
2.9 2.9 out of 5 stars 6 ratings
See all formats and editions
This manual shows in detail how the FIG-Forth is designed, implemented and how it all works together. Very well explained by C-H Ting.. When we started to get it ready for publishing, we wanted to make sure it all still works. The CDP1802 implementation in VHDL from another project came very handy and the Lattice board contains all of the hardware to replicate the function. You can actually try it out yourself.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:39:02 AMFeb 9
TING and his EP32
https://www.amazon.co.uk/EP32-RISC-Processor-Description-Implementation-ebook/dp/B071D3XMPS/ref=sr_1_28?qid=1707485671&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-28

EP32 RISC Processor IP: Description and Implementation into FPGA Kindle Edition
by Dr. Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Steve Teal (Editor), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 4 ratings
See all formats and editions
A 32 Bit RISC Processor in VHDL. VHDL Code Package ordered separately includes Simulator.
It seems to be impossible, but you can design your own 32 processor system. Here with the help of the free to download Lattice Diamond Software just needed to program the FPGA.
The image ( available soon ) includes the synthesized VHDL and the eForth and is programmed into the FPGA, start your favorite Terminal program and reset the Brevia board - writing code can start. More details to be found at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:ep32:start
No additional hardware needed to get started, communication and Power Supply via the same USB cable.

From the book:
The eP32 microprocessor is a Minimal Instruction Set Computer (MISC), vis-à-vis Complicated Instruction Set Computer (CISC) and Reduced Instruction Set Computer (RISC). MISC was originally developed by Mr. Chuck Moore, and implemented in his MuP21 chip. It happened that Chuck also invented the FORTH programming language. For many years, Chuck sought to put FORTH into silicon, because he thought FORTH was not only a programming language, but also an excellent computer architecture.

In the early 1990s, a group of engineers from the MOSIS multiple design chip service program came to Silicon Valley and started Orbit Semiconductor Corp, offering foundry services to the general public. Their service was based on a 1.2 micron CMOS processes on 5 inch wafer, with two metal layers. The smallest design they accepted was on a 2.4mmx2.4mm silicon die. Chuck figured that he could design a 20 bit CPU in that small area. It was named MuP21, because it was a multiprocessor chip, with a 20 bit CPU core, a DRAM memory coprocessor, and a video coprocessor, and all registers and stacks in the CPU core were 21 bits wide, with an extra bit to preserve the carry bit.

Because of very limited silicon area, the MuP21 had a very small set of instructions, but they were sufficient to support a complete FORTH operating system and very demanding applications with real time NTSC video output. The chip was produced and verified, but productions in plastic packages were not successful because of poor yield.

When FPGA chips became available, I tried to implement FORTH chips based on MuP21 instruction set. The first experiments were on an XS40 Kit from Xess Corp. It had a Xilinx VC4005XL FPGA on board with a 32 kB SRAM chip and an 8051 microcontroller. The purpose of this kit was to demonstrate how easy it was to use an FPGA to replace all glue logic between RAM and 8051, and to build a complete working microprocessor system. I managed to squeeze a 16-bit microprocessor, P16, into the VC4000XL chip and eliminated the 8051.

Over the years, Xilinx added more logic gates and RAM blocks to their FPGAs, and I was able to put a 32-bit microprocessor, P32, into a VCX1000E chip (which had 16 kB of RAM) to host a FORTH system. This design was also ported to FPGA chips from Altera and Actel. P32 gradually evolved into eP32 with an eForth operating system. eForth is a very simple FORTH operating system designed specifically for embedded systems. However, FPGA chips were expensive, development boards were expensive, and development software tools were especially expensive. I talked about eP32 implementations, but very few people in the audience had these development tools to explore FPGA designs.

It was therefore very exciting to learn about the LatticeXP2 Brevia Development Kit, which was on sale for $49. Development software was free to download. The Kit has a LatticeXP2-5E-6TN144C FPGA chip, which has enough logic cells to implement eP32, and enough RAM memory to host the eForth system. Its RAM memory is mirrored in flash memory on chip, and you do not need external memory chips for programs and data. It is truly a single chip solution for microprocessor system design.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:42:16 AMFeb 9
Going back to the beginning of Forth:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Footsteps-Empty-Valley-issue-3-ebook/dp/B06X6JGM5L/ref=sr_1_30?qid=1707485671&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-30

Footsteps In An Empty Valley issue 3 Kindle Edition
by Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
5.0 5.0 out of 5 stars 2 ratings
See all formats and editions
Chuck Moore is the inventor of the High Level computer Language Forth. In this eBook you find the background, how and why it was designed as is. People talk about C friendly instruction set - but Chuck went one level further and implemented complete functionality in silicon long before others looked at such configurations. And there is the Forth code from then, designed by Chuck and typed in by Ting. A lot has changed from the first edition of Footsteps. It has been heavily updated in 2016/2017 to add the latest information and add cleaned up pictures. We are working as well on the Novix IP to have this processor core revived adapted and running on an FPGA Board - the same as we did for the FIG-Forth Manual, where we implemented a basic RCA CDP1802 - more than 30 years later. See it at https://goo.gl/RIjHLU And it does run the code published and described in the eBook. There is more and how to implement it at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/projects:fig-forth-1802-fpga:start and I added there as well a screen print I did running the system at my desk. Enjoy reading this book. It is part of our Forth Bookshelf at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:46:14 AMFeb 9
This is a special one. I formatted in a way, so it is just 1 page. OK alarge one A2 size, hanging on my wall now
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eForth-Overview-C-H-Ting/dp/1726852369/ref=sr_1_10?qid=1707486205&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-10

eForth Overview: C.H. Ting Paperback – 19 Oct. 2018
by C.H. Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)
4.5 4.5 out of 5 stars 12 ratings
See all formats and editions
Before diving directly into eForth, I would like to discuss the general principles of Forth language. The language consists of a collection of words, which reside in the memory of a computer and can be executed by entering their names on the computer keyboard. A list of words can be compiled, given a new name and made a new word. In fact, most words in Forth are defined as lists of existing words. A small set of primitive words are defined in machine code of the native CPU. All other words are built from this primitive words and eventually refer to them when executed.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 8:49:49 AMFeb 9
Regarding eForth Overview - and here you find the link to download it as one page - or on normal print pages that you can put together with sticky tape
https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/en:projects:430eforth:start

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 12:49:51 PMFeb 9
eForth on the Arduino - if you know how to program tha 328 and overwrite the Bootloader ...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Arduino-eForth-Chen-Hanson-Ting/dp/1726868478/ref=sr_1_6?qid=1707486205&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-6

Arduino and eForth Paperback – 8 Nov. 2018
by Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)
4.4 4.4 out of 5 stars 7 ratings
See all formats and editions
All these years, I have been looking for microcontroller platforms on which I can teach people how to program in the FORTH language. I designed a training course I called Firmware Engineering Workshop. I could train an open minded engineer to program in FORTH in about a week, with a reasonable capable platform, i.e., a microcontroller evaluation board with a FORTH operating system loaded. Good platforms are expansive, and low-cost platforms are inadequate. What I did was to grab any microcontroller board at hand and used it. It did not work well because what I taught could not be easily replicated by people at home. People got frustrated when they could not reproduce results I demonstrated. Then, I found the Arduino Uno Board. The microcontroller evaluation board I need must have a microcontroller with reasonable capabilities. An 8-bit microcontroller with a fast clock is adequate. 16-bit of 32-bit microcontrollers are of course much better. The board must have at least 8 KB of ROM memory and 1 KB of RAM memory. It must also have a USART port to communicate with a terminal emulator on a host PC. Any other I/O devices will be icings on the cake. The more the better. Arduino Uno has all of the components I listed above. It is also inexpensive, costing only $29. It uses ATmega328P, a very interesting microcontroller which has 32 KB of flash memory, enough to host a FORTH operating system, 2 KB of RAM and many I/O devices to build substantial applications. Arduino Uno also has a USB port which connects to a PC and an USART device in ATmega328P. This serial interface is necessary for a FORTH system so that you can run and program ATmega328P interactively from a terminal emulator on the PC – as the complete Forth is on the chip. Arduino Uno is a lovely machine. You connect it through a USB cable to your PC, and you can program it to do many interesting things. Its microcontroller ATmega328P, running at 16 MHz, is very capable of running many interesting applications. The template of a sketch, which is the software in Arduino 0022, captures the essence of firmware programming in casting user applications in two statements: setup() and loop(). It eliminates all the syntactic statements required by a normal C program and exposes to you only the core of an application. However, Arduino software insulates you from the intricate nature of ATmega328P microcontroller, its instruction set, and its I/O devices. Instead, you are given a library of useful routines which are used to build applications. The insulation initially helps you to program the microcontroller in a C-like high level programming language. However, being an 8 bit microcontroller, ATmega328P in C language will run out of gas when application demands performance. At this point, you will have to get down to the bare metal to push ATmega328P to its limit. Then, you have to learn its instruction set and all its I/O devices, and perhaps program it in assembly language. The best alternative approach is to program ATmega328P in the FORTH language. FORTH exposes ATmega328P to you. You can interactively examine its RAM memory, its flash memory, and all the I/O devices surrounding the CPU. You can incrementally add small pieces of code, and test them exhaustively. An interactive programming and debugging environment greatly accelerates program development, and ensures the quality of the program. Since 1990, I have been promoting a simple FORTH language model called eForth. This model consists of a kernel of 30 primitive FORTH commands which have to be implemented in machine instructions of a host microcontroller, and 190 compound FORTH commands constructed from the primitive commands and other compound commands. By isolating machine dependent commands from machine independent commands, the eForth model can be easily ported to many different microcontrollers. This model is ported to ATmega328P, and the result is the 328eForth system.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 9, 2024, 1:19:12 PMFeb 9
And a different approach, Georg Heinrichs started to write his Forth from scratch
https://www.amazon.co.uk/ATTINY-Forth-Project-Combined-English/dp/172662692X/ref=sr_1_27?qid=1707502437&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-27

ATTINY Forth Project: Combined English and German Version Paperback – 7 Oct. 2018
by Georg Heinrichs (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)
See all formats and editions
2018 is the time to celebrate 50 Years of Forth. This year in September is as well EuroForth 2018 – where the Forth specialists meet, this time at the river of Forth in Scotland. The inventor of Forth, Chuck Moore, has been invited to attend, and he promised he will be there. And he was there.I started the Forth Bookshelf 5 years ago. It has now – including this book – grown to 20 books altogether. First published as eBook for cost reasons and no delivery cost. But many people want to hold the print book in their hands, so this year I started converting, and 6 books are available now as print book now as well – with more to come over the next couple of months.I stumbled by chance over this project of Georg Heinrichs, when I was looking for a Forth for the small Microchip Attiny 2313. There really is a small Forth implementation with the whole Forth on the chip – but not tried it yetThe 2313 has it’s limitations: with just 2k of Flash.But on the positive there is a 20 pin DIL-package. So very breadboard friendly. Easy PCB to make if needed.There are smaller packages, if you can deal with it. But there was another reason for me as well:There is one other book on the Forth Bookshelf - the Sparrow; where there is no Forth implementation yet, as it uses the Attiny13, which is even smaller with its 8 pin DIL package – and 1k FLASH.BUT SPARROW can be programmed over the internet – no PC, no special software, no programmer required, just your mobile phone/PC, and this chip could be probably used as a target for this MikroForth as well. Still to be tested.Back to this MikroForth project here now:I contacted Georg and started with a first translation, as his German version would be a bit difficult to digest for a worldwide audience. He agreed to the translation. We started a Wiki page on the German Forth group website, and there is much of this available now for download and print at https://wiki.forth-ev.de/doku.php/attiny . More to be added as there is time.I do like the approach that Georg took and he kindly agreed that I can convert his information into an eBook – and later then as well as print book as part of Forth Bookshelf at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZMAnybody with a 2313 chip, a resistor and a capacitor – plus a USBtoTTL converter can get going as the software runs on the PC and generates a hex file for programming .Georg offers as well chips with a Bootloader programmed in already: You can find his website at http://www.g-heinrichs.de/wordpress/A complete kit of parts including the PCB – as shown on the cover page.And as well a pre-programmed chip 2313 with a bootloader already programmed in.There is as well a blog in German at http://www.forum.g-heinrichs.de/viewforum.php?f=12But the project can be built using a solderless breadboard as well.Or some other options I tried out and documented here in addition.One of the points important to me ist to have a system in a box including batteries, so you can run an application without problems – and in an enclosure which is probably available worldwide – I often use a TicTac Box as we needed a low-cost enclosure for the MicroBox project..I tried tis out to ensure it all works. But just take it as example and find your own way.Enjoy the eBook – a print version is planned and will be available some time in 2018/19, depending on interest.I took the decision to make this documentation available as a combined version in English for the non-German world, but to keep as well Georgs original in German – rather than publishing two separate items.I am planning to have this eBook available on amazon around EuroForth (12th of September ) so there might have to be a preliminary version.We hope you enjoy this eBook – and please leave a bit of feedback at amazon, so other readers can use your feedback as guidance. I am often asked why Forth – there is Python, C, and many other languages. But I like Forth

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 3:40:40 AMFeb 10
Another piece of work of Dr. Ting.
The cover page shows actually Dr. Ting twice:
the other picture is on the mug I had sent him when I finished the book and the mug.
He kindly sent this picture back, so I modified the cover page.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Irreducible-Complexity-Discovery-Chen-Hanson-Ting-ebook/dp/B0725MBJ9V/ref=sr_1_10?qid=1707554149&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-10

Irreducible Complexity: eForth for Discovery Kindle Edition
by Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.3 4.3 out of 5 stars 7 ratings
See all formats and editions
eForth - Contents - 1.1 Moore’s Law Marches On

Moore’s Law marches on, and more and more circuits are crowded into microcontrollers. In the last 15 years, I had programmed many ARM chips, and had watched with amazement the progress of the ARM chips. My approach had always been to port an eForth system onto the chips and tried to make the best use of the chips. Here are some of the ARM chips I put eForth on.
2001: Nintendo’s GameBoyAdvance had an ARM7TDMI chip in it. It had 32 KB of RAM. No flash. It had lots of external flash and RAM for games.
2004: ADuC7024 from Analog Devices had 62 KB of flash and 8 KB of RAM, and lots of IO devices, including ADC and DAC. I built a ForthStamp based on it, a really nice single chip stamp size computer.
2008: AT91SAM7x256 from Atmel. It had 64 KB of flash and 16 KB of RAM, and lots of IO devices.

A couple of years ago, I told my friends in the Silicon Valley FIG and Taiwan FIG that I had to really retire from Forth programming. I did, and worked peacefully on translating Bach’s cantatas from German to Chinese, and putting Tang poems into Schubert’s songs, and many other things I had neglected all the years. Then, last month, a friend in Taiwan FIG sent me this ForthDuino Board, which was used to control a laser cutting machine to make PC boards. It had footprints of IO sockets of Arduino board and MSP430 LaunchPad. It is intended to suck in all applications from Arduino and
LaunchPad. I was told that the ARM chip on ForthDuino is the same one used in the STM32F4Discovery Kit. Looking up the STM32F407 chip, I was shocked to see so much memory, and so many IO devices. 1 MB of flash and 192 KB of RAM. It is a Wow chip, and in desperate need of a good eForth system.
So. I re-open my workbench, unpacked my tools, download all necessary IDE and programming toolchains. But, the world has changed since I stopped watching. Keil is still there, but its toolchain became uVision5. STM32F4 is no longer an ARM chip. It is a Cortex M4 chip. There is no ARM in STM32F4. All that’s left is a THUMB, and a really big THUMB.

The first shock was that I could not use the ARM directive in the assembler. The assembler generated lots of error messages if you do ARM. It is much happier if you use the THUMB directive. Then, the RSC instruction disappeared. Reading the ARM assembler manual carefully, I found that ARM.
Holdings is phasing out the ARM instruction set, and replacing it with the THUMB2 instruction set. It gave up the beautiful RISC architecture, and reverted to the ugly CISC architecture we all despised.

I missed the simple serial COM port in PC. The USB is so much harder to deal with. You don’t know what’s going on. You must have faith on the USB drivers given to you.

There is no simple example to guide me, to start my exploration. The Demo project provided with STAM32F4-Discovery Kit is a huge package with 7 folders and 31 files. There is no clear entry point. I spent 3 weeks wandering around in the hardware and software maze, looking for an entry point. The great breakthrough came when I realized that I only had to set up the reset vector correctly, everything would work smoothly from that point on. Throw away all the header files, init files, device driver files. I only need one assembly file to do what I have to do.

Since STM32F4 is no longer an ARM7 chip. It is not necessary to keep the name in my eForth implementations. I planned and completed 3 versions of eForth for this chip:

STM32eforth v7.01 The eForth dictionary resides in flash memory, and executes from flash memory. It is upgraded to align with the eForth2 model, with subroutine tread model and fully optimized for performance.

STM32eforth v7.10 The eForth dictionary resides in flash memory. Flash memory is remapped to the virtual memory in Page 0. eForth executes from Page 0 memory.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 4:16:20 AMFeb 10
And another one of Tig's works:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/eForth-Zen-32-bit-86eForth-Visual-ebook/dp/B06VXR1TX3/ref=sr_1_7?qid=1707554149&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-7

eForth and Zen - 3rd Edition 2017: with 32-bit 86eForth v5.2 for Visual Studio 2015 Kindle Edition
by Dr. Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 11 ratings
See all formats and editions
eForth has a long history, but here in this eBook you see it updated, and the 2017 edition 3 includes ports that are recent, and all of the sources are available to order, check and use - directly from Ting. It is important to have this whole range of eForth variants available, as this eForth range of implementations includes as well so called Soft Cores, which are microprocessors, targeted at Programmable devices called FPGAs. Here, a standard version supplied separately can be used in projects and in addition to the processor core the complete eForth language to drive this chip is supplied. In addition, the Core can be modified, and the modifications can be controlled by extensions of the supplied eForth software - complete flexibility to adapt SW and HW to the design.

minforth

Feb 10, 2024, 4:20:54 AMFeb 10
You are spamming.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 4:23:03 AMFeb 10
Sorry for the typo in the last post, it is Ting not Tig.
Here another one of his books, proudly showing the MSP430G2553 board.
This was the first processor I had Forth running on in different versions.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zen-Forth-Language-EFORTH-Instruments-ebook/dp/B01M4NO579/ref=sr_1_12?qid=1707556695&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-12

Zen and the Forth Language: EFORTH for the MSP430 from Texas Instruments Kindle Edition
by Dr. Chen-Hanson Ting (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.3 4.3 out of 5 stars 11 ratings
See all formats and editions
Forth was invented by Chuck Moore in the 1960s as a programming language. Chuck was not impressed by programming languages, operating systems, and computer hardware of that time. He sought the simplest and most efficient way to control his computers. He used Forth to program every computer in his sight. And then, he found that he could design better computers in transistors and gates, because Forth is much more than just a programming language; it is also an excellent computer architecture.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 10, 2024, 4:23:30 AMFeb 10
On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:19:47 +0000
minf...@gmx.net (minforth) wrote:

> You are spamming.

Maybe 'his' books aren't selling well.

--
Bah, and indeed Humbug.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 4:27:05 AMFeb 10
On Saturday 10 February 2024 at 09:20:54 UTC, minforth wrote:
> You are spamming.

Well, there are different points of view in this world.
I cannot see posts about Forth, so the Forthers have gone elsewhere anyway.
As posting here will stop in less than 2 weeks, I thought a list of books about Forth might be a good idea.
And there are only one or 2 left ...

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 4:29:03 AMFeb 10
I agree with you - HUMBUG.
Hopefully this is the last post I see from you.
Really looking forward to this.

dxf

Feb 10, 2024, 6:17:48 AMFeb 10
On 10/02/2024 8:29 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Saturday 10 February 2024 at 09:23:30 UTC, Kerr-Mudd, John wrote:
>> On Sat, 10 Feb 2024 09:19:47 +0000
>> minf...@gmx.net (minforth) wrote:
>>
>>> You are spamming.
>>
>> Maybe 'his' books aren't selling well.
>>
>> --
>> Bah, and indeed Humbug.
>

> I agree with you - HUMBUG.

Not selling or not the author? If the former then you can relinquish
your copyright to the books and donate them to forth.org. Only then
will you and authors be on the same page.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 7:52:10 AMFeb 10
I was not aware that you are mentally handicapped.
And your reading capabilities have deteriorated as well.
It is quite clearly stated who is the author and who is the publisher.
But is shows quite clearly that you are not interested.
Just want to post your silly shit.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 7:58:45 AMFeb 10
Nearly 1600 people looked at this post.
About 5 of them posted bullshit.
Quite a good result.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 8:46:22 AMFeb 10
Sorry, I do have to mention as well,
that there were a few positive exchanges actually - Forth related.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 9:16:21 AMFeb 10
Just for completeness the last book on the list I think.
Unfortunately, MPE changed its mind and wanted to set conditions that I could not agree with.
So, after a few years of availability, it had to be unpublished on amazon, but I still own a few.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming-Forth-Version-July-2016/dp/1717967663/ref=sr_1_36?qid=1707573940&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-36

Programming Forth: Version July 2016 Paperback – 2 Aug. 2018
by Stephen Pelc (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor)
4.6 4.6 out of 5 stars 12 ratings
See all formats and editions
Programming Forth introduces you to modern Forth systems. In 1994 the ANS Forth standard was released and unleashed a wave of creativity among Forth compiler writers. Because the ANS standard, unlike the previous informal Forth-83 standard, avoids specifying implementation details, implementers took full advantage. The result has been what I choose to call modern Forths, which are available from a range of sources both commercial and open-source.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 11:38:35 AMFeb 10
Checking the list, showed that this little gem had not been included yet. A little one, but by Chuck
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Forth-Background-information-beginnings-Computer-ebook/dp/B00JZI64U8/ref=sr_1_14?qid=1707582843&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-14

Forth - The Early Years: Background information about the beginnings of this Computer Language Kindle Edition
by Charles H Moore (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
4.2 4.2 out of 5 stars 22 ratings
See all formats and editions
Forth is a very special computer language - as is the inventor Charles H Moore. This eBook describes the early years of Forth, a simple natural computer language as Charles describes it, and how it developed over the years. It documents the different locations where the inventor Charles H Moore worked and optimized Forth.
MIT 1958, Stanford 1961, Freelance 1965, Mohasco 1968, NRAO 1971.
Within programming community there is a very strong feeling about this language - for it and against it, often quite emotional.
Charles' moral from the eBook:
I know Forth is the strongest language so far.
I'm disturbed that people who should don't appreciate how it embodies their own description of the ideal programming language.
Forth has lead to an architecture that promises a wonderful integration of software and silicon.
One way it has been described: You need longer to learn it to work with it efficiently - but from then on you will program faster. The same even seems to apply if the programmes steps back to her/his language of choice.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 11:42:26 AMFeb 10

And another one as well
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Real-Time-Forth-Tim-Hendtlass-ebook/dp/B06Y6FYPN1/ref=sr_1_18?qid=1707583246&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-18

Real Time Forth Kindle Edition
by Tim Hendtlass (Author), Juergen Pintaske (Editor) Format: Kindle Edition
5.0 5.0 out of 5 stars 7 ratings
See all formats and editions
Tim Hendtlass, the author of Real Time Forth, obtained a PhD in Ionospheric Physics in 1974 working at Massey University, New Zealand, and then worked at RMIT and Swinburne University of Technology, both in Melbourne, Australia where he currently resides.
Discovered Forth in 1979 and used it as his primary programming language until the mid-1980’s. His first AI applications were written in Forth and he earned notoriety by teaching introductory digital electronics by taking his students through the design of a stack oriented processor with Forth as its native language.
This design operated successfully when realised using an FPGA and was demonstrated to the students at the end of the subject. Still uses Forth today as the problem definition language in his population based optimisation work. His current Forth engine (written in Pascal) has a data stack that can concurrently hold integers, floats, strings, arrays and matrices.
The book Real Time Forth was written in 1993, and contains a vast amount of Forth code to go through and understand; and this gem has now been saved and made available as part of the Forth Bookshelf at https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM .
The book is based on F-PC, a DOS based Forth, which was very much in use at the time. Additional information from the Preamble: This book has been written to provide information about using a computer with the real world so the two may work cooperatively together. In many situations in which a computer is used, the main constraint is getting the job done, usually as quickly as possible. The exact time each part of the task takes is not of great significance and the job proceeds with timing to suit, and dictated by, the computer.
Interfacing the computer with the outside world requires things to be done at precisely the times the outside world demands. Often many things (tasks) must be done, if not together, in an interleaved way so that one task is not kept waiting to start until all other tasks have fully finished. Data will need to be taken as and when available, output will need to be passed on at the times and in the form the outside world needs it. This is why there is 'Real Time' in the title. Why Forth?
This book is intended for use as a teaching text, either in a formal situation or for self study. The only way to learn is to first read and then to do. This requires that a language suitable for the task be chosen. Forth is used as the language for interfacing for a number of good reasons. It is fast, especially when run on hardware designed for the language, but fast enough even when run on general purpose equipment.
It is interactive, providing an environment in which immediate testing as you go clarifies the task in hand and helps catch errors early so they can be painlessly corrected. It is a rich, structured language that provides facilities useful for interfacing that are missing in many other languages.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 10, 2024, 11:53:57 AMFeb 10
And for completeness, the first book I wrote, many many years ago, actually started in 1979, and published in 1980
called BMP802 - Brussels Micro Processor in 1980 the second book.
So 45 years old this year.
Not really Forth, but probably one of the first Processors that Forth was running on
https://www.amazon.co.uk/DESIGN-IDEAS-BOOK-CDP1802-Microprocesor-ebook/dp/B09GWCVHGG/ref=sr_1_4?qid=1707583880&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-4

DESIGN IDEAS BOOK: for the CDP1802 COSMAC Microprocesor BMP802 Kindle Edition
by Juergen Pintaske (Author) Format: Kindle Edition
5.0 5.0 out of 5 stars 9 ratings
See all formats and editions
BMP802 means Brussels Microprocessor Publication from 1980, the second published book. At this time, I had the opportunity to be part of the European Microprocessor Applications team in Brussels.
In 1980, the CDP1802 was the only CMOS microprocessor available.
We supported all of the customers across Europe, which involved as well quite a bit of travelling to see these customers.
I had the opportunity to visit many customers across Europe, and this meant as well the opportunity to visit customers in Israel, and as well the ones in South Africa.
I had the chance to see the Wine country there and the local distributor showed us what to taste.
One of the problems I saw at the time was the missing support material for these CDP1802 systems.
Introductory material to show how to start.
So, I collected all of the relevant material I could get hold of, from people in Brussels and as well from the ones in the US, especially Somerville - a place I had the opportuntity to visit a few times and to talk to the people there who designed new chips in this line, especially the MDU 1855 and the video interface 1869 and 1870.
The result was the material which lead to the BMP802 – this book.
It was fun to do all of the cut and paste for this book, and Marie-Claire was extremely helpful with all of the typing.
All of the software you can now download for free from the Internet, was not available then. Cut and Paste really meant Scissors and Glue – Cut and Paste.
This book was used with customers then to promote the 1800 Microprocessor products.
Now, about 40 years later, I have started to publish books and eBooks via amazon regarding different subjects, see
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Juergen-Pintaske/e/B00N8HVEZM
And so I asked RCA/ now Renesas, if I could get the copyright permission to start back from zero, type most of it in again, but as well use as much as possible from the original book done at the time to make the BMP802 available again – now as a Print Book or as eBook later.
For people to enjoy and to flick through.
There is quite a group of people in the world who learnt programming using the 1802.
Last week the permission for this project arrived from the responsible person at Renesas, so I could get started.

Please be aware, that this book has been put together 40 years ago, and technology has changed quite dramatically during this time.
But the idea here was to preserve the facts and ideas that were relevant at the time.
As said before, I worked as Microprocessor Application Engineer iat RCA in Brussels.
The contents that was put together is very much based on the questions the group had from customers / designers.
Some of the data might not be relevant today, but rather than re-writing and updating this book, it felt better to just keep it a much as possible to the original.
So, this book is not the latest microprocessor data of 2021, but as it was the latest data in 1980.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 11, 2024, 6:14:31 AMFeb 11
Just as a quick summary:
Which Forth books of this list here are people interested in?
See the top 100 in Compiler Design
https://www.amazon.com/best-sellers-books-Amazon/zgbs/books/3970/ref=zg_bs_pg_2_books?_encoding=UTF8&pg=2

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 11, 2024, 6:16:58 AMFeb 11
And the link to this post to save somewhere,
as there is so much rubbish now on CLF:
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/lkwh5gcqf8M
May the Forth be with you ...

dxf

Feb 11, 2024, 6:31:50 PMFeb 11
You wouldn't settle for an empty platitude about forth - neither
should your authors.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 12, 2024, 6:00:34 AMFeb 12
AMEN

dxf

Feb 12, 2024, 11:59:36 PMFeb 12
Never mind the blessings. "My Forth Bookshelf" isn't a charity.
It likes to present as one and unfortunately authors got fooled.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 13, 2024, 2:23:05 AMFeb 13
You are adding to your usual bullshit.
It seems you have nothing useful to do. Have you been fired?
And supporting Forth has never been your aim anyway.

You made up that it is a charity - no it is not.
I invested my time and quite a bit of it to make it all happen.
You are talking about things you have no clue about.

If people like it, they can buy these books.
If not, at least they see what they might find using the Internet.
The authors had a clear deal and all of them agreed to it.

mhx

Feb 13, 2024, 3:06:20 AMFeb 13
Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> On Thursday 11 January 2024 at 00:16:21 UTC, dxf wrote:
>> On 10/01/2024 6:49 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
>> > On Wednesday 10 January 2024 at 06:10:52 UTC, dxf wrote:
[..]
>> It goes without saying sales to a businessman would make him smile.
>> What percentage of the profit made from the sales of your books goes
>> back to the original author?
> This is business between the author and me - and none of your business.
[..]

Nobody asked my permission for the Starting Forth edits to appear
in a book for sale.

-marcel

minforth

Feb 13, 2024, 4:10:58 AMFeb 13
So this is violation of legal copyrights?

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 13, 2024, 4:12:26 AMFeb 13
The copyright is with Forth INC.,
and they allowed for publishing it as eBook
- but not as print book, which was fine for me.
The eBook was signed off by Forth INC before publishing.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 13, 2024, 4:22:38 AMFeb 13
On Tuesday 13 February 2024 at 08:06:20 UTC, mhx wrote:
The copyright is with Forth INC. as they told me when I asked.
They told me which material to use for the eBook.
Forth INC checked the material before I published it.
And it has as well been re-checked by Forth INC. a couple of years ago.
I was not aware that you own the copyright rather than Forth INC. of material on the Forth INC. website

dxf

Feb 15, 2024, 12:19:22 AMFeb 15
On 13/02/2024 6:23 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 February 2024 at 04:59:36 UTC, dxf wrote:

>>> AMEN
>
>> Never mind the blessings. "My Forth Bookshelf" isn't a charity.
>> It likes to present as one and unfortunately authors got fooled.
>
> You are adding to your usual bullshit.
> It seems you have nothing useful to do. Have you been fired?

Has Jurgen or Amazon been fired - that they should approach forth
authors asking for a handout?

> And supporting Forth has never been your aim anyway.

Is that what you told the authors you targetted - that they would
be "supporting forth"?

> You made up that it is a charity - no it is not.

Good - then nobody should be fooled into believing otherwise.

> The authors had a clear deal and all of them agreed to it.

Given you have promoted the venture publicly as "supporting forth",
I can see no reason why details of the deal should not be made public.
Prospective purchasers might like to know exactly who it is they are
supporting and by what amount.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 15, 2024, 4:14:22 AMFeb 15

> Has Jurgen or Amazon been fired - that they should approach forth
> authors asking for a handout?

> > And supporting Forth has never been your aim anyway.
> Is that what you told the authors you targetted - that they would
> be "supporting forth"?

> > You made up that it is a charity - no it is not.
> Good - then nobody should be fooled into believing otherwise.

> > The authors had a clear deal and all of them agreed to it.
> Given you have promoted the venture publicly as "supporting forth",
> I can see no reason why details of the deal should not be made public.
> Prospective purchasers might like to know exactly who it is they are
> supporting and by what amount.

It is sad to see how your mental capabilities have deteriorated.
Changing from posting bullshit, to posting silly bullshit.
You are now even unable to comprehend what i had answered.

dxf

Feb 15, 2024, 9:25:55 PMFeb 15
I comprehend you employ abuse to evade and answer nothing - nada -
which according to one of your authors is what they get. Your
response was you needed to recover your expenses formatting texts
for publication. Thus your 'support of forth' is conditional on
you making money from it - how much we don't know as details of
years of book sales hasn't been disclosed.

You say "supporting Forth" has never been my aim. That's true.
As if interest in forth (or anything) can be bought or sold with
money or praise.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 16, 2024, 3:03:35 AMFeb 16
For once a more useful comment.
As said before, the Bookshelf started when I was the Sales and Marketing Manager for MPE.
With picture and description of my function on the MPE website for many years. See further down.
Working as a consultant for MPE - not as an employee.
The press releases I wrote and published to magazines as part of my work,
are still on the MPE website - just checked now.
And the change of the MPE website and the new logo was part of my work together with the outside company.
And the books were aimed at supporting and promoting MPE and Forth.
A project of more than 10 years now.

It is just funny, that the only book there were issues with over the years is the book by Stephen Pelc.
This is what was stated higher up here.
The arrangement was crystal clear before publication, as with any of the authors, and was accepted
but MPE changed their mind a couple of years later and wanted conditions I could not agree with.
So I just unpublished it and is not available now for purchasing at amazon.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Books-Juergen-Pintaske/s?rh=n%3A266239%2Cp_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske
And the direct link to this book
. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Programming-Forth-Version-July-2016/dp/1717967663/ref=sr_1_36?dib=eyJ2IjoiMSJ9.4Pv2u8wmd7RTnrSSvfThL2uTs3ZsEC67i4bXebfCGHS2UWQ-Kf1JtelwDIJIa4OJ.KPRwa3O1_W7OMR5NI_wYu71dfpCVyQhizHS1Te5WjcE&dib_tag=se&qid=1708069706&refinements=p_27%3AJuergen+Pintaske&s=books&sr=1-36

The data on the MPE website then - different now. The pictures cannot be shown here:

Our staff
MPE is a decentralised company that takes full advantage of modern communication methods. When you contact us, you will probably be referred to one of the people mentioned here as a technical contact.

Stephen Pelc
Stephen is an electronics engineer by training, but has been writing software since the days of Algol 60.
+44 (0)23 8063 1441, +44 (0)7803 903612, ste...@mpeforth.com
Speaks English and French.
Stephen founded MPE in 1981 after a career that included running a community arts centre, printing posters, picking strawberries, writing software for glass cutting machines, designing hardware for active noise reduction and electrostatic stirrers, software for flood warning schemes, and hardware and software for a bank note sorting machine.
Stephen designed the VFX code generator used by MPE's current Forth systems and managed the European project that produced the first VFX systems.

Juergen Pintaske
Juergen is our marketing and sales person promoting MPE Forth and MPE Consultancy Services.
+44 (0)7736 707674, jue...@exemark.com
Speaks German, English and French.
Juergen's electronics career started young at 12, with his first radio, 80m receiver and amplifier. Years later, after his Dipl.-Ing. in telecoms, electricity sensors were in - not the normal stuff but for up to 100kV or 500A, and the first CMOS micro. Then application engineering at RCA in Brussels, then Germany again. The first Forth activity was a custom micro running Forth in an FPGA. Finally a move to the UK, for Marketing, PR, translation, then went back into sales for 10 years.
In his spare time, Juergen writes and publishes eBooks about electronics and software topics including Forth, see links on this website from the books page.

Ian Thain
Ian's talent as an engineer started when he undid all the wing nuts on his pram so that its hood collapsed. When the microprocessor leaped on to the world stage in the 1970s, Ian's first programmable scientific calculator made him an immediate convert to software. He bought a Rockwell industrial micro which came with Forth in ROM and a pile of text books. Three years later he emerged to take up his first job in computing as system manager of an HP mini which ran the London office of a German multi-national manufacturer of electronic test equipment. Since then Ian's fund of stories includes radio, GPS, mobile messaging and Filippino anthropology.
Ian handles organisational things and marketing for us as well as product design and development.

Paul Bennett
Paul is a Systems Engineer with wide ranging knowledge and experience developing High Integrity Distributed Embedded Control Systems for Nuclear Power Station Robotics, Petrochemical Processes, Railway Signalling, Medical Instrumentation, Cryogenic Systems, Vacuum Systems and Marine Systems Industries.
It was Paul's knowledge of safety-critical systems and processes that enabled us to get US FDA approval (at the first submission) for medical equipment used in operating theatres.

Barry Culver
Barry is our UK hardware designer. The PB2468 is one of his designs. According to Barry, electronic design is the art and science of selecting components that fit together to work reliably and well. The joy of electronics is that all the time the range of components is getting wider, with an endless stream of smaller/faster/better parts to choose from!
Apart from electronics, Barry has experience in welding, painting, machining, sheet metal bashing, testing, mechanical design and the other trades of a scientific instrument manufacturer. He's an excellent Forth application programmer with a fully equipped hardware development lab.
Barry can be relied upon to find a hole in any specification.

Peter Knaggs
Peter was introduced to Forth through the Jupiter Ace in 1983 and did a PhD on "the application of software engineering concepts to embedded software development". While in academia, Peter was the editor of the Journal of Forth Applications and Research, and became the editor of the Forth200x standards document. He's now back in the commercial world.
Peter has a strong interest in things traditional, from ale to music, dance and song. He is involved a number of music festivals.
Peter is the part of the toolmaking team that tells us how to do it properly.

Barto Gillespie
Barto is our structural integrity test engineer. Although young, he has specialist knowledge of fabrics, domestic furniture, garden excavations and game birds.
Barto handles our interactions with all non-humans except cats, with whom he seems to be unable to communicate effectively.

And the link to MPE now:
https://www.mpeforth.com/news-gossip-and-rumour/mpe-in-the-press/

This book I published is still on the MPE website, even with a link to amazon
where all of the books I published are offered for purchase - Forth or not
https://www.mpeforth.com/resource-links/books/

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 16, 2024, 4:03:06 AMFeb 16

dxf

Feb 16, 2024, 9:15:02 PMFeb 16
On 16/02/2024 7:03 pm, Jurgen Pitaske wrote:

> As said before, the Bookshelf started when I was the Sales and Marketing Manager for MPE.
> With picture and description of my function on the MPE website for many years. See further down.
> Working as a consultant for MPE - not as an employee.

A position from which you were 'let go' following incidents on c.l.f. It
explains the probing questions into MPE's new partnership and marketing
in which you - not so subtly - imply you could have done so much better.
"My Forth Bookshelf" is similarly about you demonstrating to the world
your business, marketing and profit-making skills - all under the guise
of "supporting forth" and its authors. With only one (?) title under
your own name you needed others to achieve your ends. You appear to have
got that at a bargain basement price.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 17, 2024, 2:56:13 AMFeb 17
Look at the growth at MPE comparing the people at MPE then when I was still there as posted
and the people at MPE now.
To my knowledge it had nothing to do with incidents on CLF.
Stephen was attacked in the same way as me by the well known crowd.

There is a similar growth at Forth INC.

It seems there is just not enough interest in Forth.
Unfortunate - but there we are.

If this Bookshelf is still supporting Forth I do not know, but this was the idea then.
And some people are still reading and buying these books.
And why should I write books about Forth - there are quite a few now
and I could not have done better - I am not a Forth programmer:

As MPE presents itself NOW and Gerand Wodni is not shown there.
He had been appointed director in 2018 - 6 years ago as you can see yourself
WODNI, Gerald
Correspondence address
133 Hill Lane, Shirley, Southampton, Hampshire, SO15 5AF
Role ACTIVE
Director
Date of birth June 1985
Appointed on 19 September 2018
Nationality Austrian
Country of residence Austria
Occupation Software Engineer
https://find-and-update.company-information.service.gov.uk/company/01540885/officers
And I was not probing - it was just general interest after 2 years and nothing happening with this joint GMBH
It seems that Mr. Pelc has gone into his well deserved retirement in Spain
- he will be 76 this year it I remember correctly.:

As MPE presents itself NOW and Gerand Wodni is not shown there:
About Us

Last updated: 21 January 2020

+44 (0)23 8063 1441, ste...@www.mpeforth.com

https://www.culverconsultancy.co.uk/about-culver-consultancy
Barry can be relied upon to find a hole in any specification.

Barto Gillespie
Barto Gillespie
Barto is our structural integrity test engineer. He has specialist knowledge of fabrics, domestic furniture, garden excavations and game birds. Barto handles our interactions with all non-humans except cats, with whom he seems to be unable to communicate effectively.

His younger brother Freddie has similar talents and interests.

Jurgen Pitaske

Feb 19, 2024, 5:16:35 AMFeb 19
Well there are 3 days left until the posting here stops.
Which I now think is a good thing.
Just for the fun of it, I tried to find this post, but it is buried under probably more that 1024 non-Forth posts.
So, I have made sure I have the direct link to it
https://groups.google.com/g/comp.lang.forth/c/lkwh5gcqf8M
As well I have copied all of the comments here in a PDF which I can now post anywhere.
I have to thank again the many people who made this Forth Bookshelf possible.

And as a fun bit, I made a hardcover version of
PROGRAMMING A PROBLEM-ORIENTED LANGUAGE - Chucks own book.
It is there as eBook and Print Book for many years, but:
When amazon introduced the option as a hard cover, I had to try it out.
I NOW DO OWN A FIRST VERSION OF THE HARD COVER VERSION.
It is definitely a completely different feeling to flick through this one.
Would anybody here be interested to own one?
I own an author approval version - so I am fine,
but if there is enough positive feedback, I will probably finish and publish this version as well.

Kerr-Mudd, John

Feb 19, 2024, 5:34:04 AMFeb 19
On Mon, 19 Feb 2024 02:16:32 -0800 (PST)
Jurgen Pitaske <jpit...@gmail.com> wrote:

[]
> Well there are 3 days left until the posting here stops.
> Which I now think is a good thing.
[]
> And as a fun bit, I made a hardcover version of
> PROGRAMMING A PROBLEM-ORIENTED LANGUAGE - Chucks own book.

Isn't that a little dated?

> It is there as eBook and Print Book for many years, but:
> When amazon introduced the option as a hard cover, I had to try it out.
> I NOW DO OWN A FIRST VERSION OF THE HARD COVER VERSION.
> It is definitely a completely different feeling to flick through this one.
> Would anybody here be interested to own one?
> I own an author approval version - so I am fine,
> but if there is enough positive feedback, I will probably finish and publish this version as well.

Best get you orders in quick!
It is loading more messages.