organic brain-based computers...

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 15, 2008, 7:21:01 AM8/15/08
Ummmm...

http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=1009&tag=nl.e550

Any comments!?

I can see it now... The pilot thinks warp-speed! The organic computer says
plot the course as$hole...

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 15, 2008, 7:34:58 AM8/15/08

"Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote in message

Apparently, the scientists can notice a "sort-of" rudimentarily personality
which exists within the "computers" decisions... Beam me up Scotty!

:^)

Also take note of the following thread:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.arch/browse_frm/thread/574295430deb430
(READ ALL!!!)

Follow the link from PBS... WOW!

Any thoughts?

ChrisQ

Aug 15, 2008, 7:54:52 AM8/15/08

Ok, i'll bite - might eventually be the ultimate parallel computer.

I would be more concerned about ethical implications. That is, if
capable of thought, can it be considered as living and having
personality ?...

Chris

jacko

Aug 15, 2008, 11:01:32 AM8/15/08

Sounds interesting, but seems limited to "robotish" evaluation. I
propose another auto "brain" whose function is to regulate and develop
accelerated feedback accross the electrode grid, both positive,
negative voltage and loop, along with entropic spread insertion.

cheers
jacko

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 17, 2008, 7:41:38 AM8/17/08

"ChrisQ" <blac...@devnull.com> wrote in message

> Chris M. Thomasson wrote:
>> Ummmm...
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=1009&tag=nl.e550
>>
>> Any comments!?
>>

>> I can see it now... The pilot thinks warp-speed! The organic computer
>> says plot the course as$hole...
>

> Ok, i'll bite - might eventually be the ultimate parallel computer.

I think the actual programming was virtually non-existent... Humm, computers
that don't need to be explicitly programmed? What now?

> I would be more concerned about ethical implications. That is, if
> capable of thought, can it be considered as living and having
> personality ?...

Ummmm... Well, personally, I would feel really bad if I accidentally stepped
on it... If that happened, should I go to jail?

;^o

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 17, 2008, 7:43:51 AM8/17/08
"jacko" <jacko...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On 15 Aug, 12:21, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
>> Ummmm...
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=1009&tag=nl.e550
>>
>> Any comments!?
>>
>> I can see it now... The pilot thinks warp-speed! The organic computer
>> says
>> plot the course as$hole...
>
> Sounds interesting, but seems limited to "robotish" evaluation.

You need to perhaps cut them a little slack... I mean, its the first attempt
to hack a organic brain from freshly cultured neurons.

> propose another auto "brain" whose function is to regulate and develop
> accelerated feedback accross the electrode grid, both positive,
> negative voltage and loop, along with entropic spread insertion.

I think this research will take us to a place that is going to raise a
massive political debate indeed; what do you think? Am I off my rocker?

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 17, 2008, 8:11:54 AM8/17/08
"Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote in message

Well, so far, IMVHO, its analogous to stepping on a retarded rat, I should
not go to jail; period. Where am I going wrong?

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 17, 2008, 8:36:25 AM8/17/08

> "jacko" <jacko...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> On 15 Aug, 12:21, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
>>> Ummmm...
>>>
>>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/emergingtech/?p=1009&tag=nl.e550
>>>
>>> Any comments!?
>>>
>>> I can see it now... The pilot thinks warp-speed! The organic computer
>>> says
>>> plot the course as$hole...
>>
>> Sounds interesting, but seems limited to "robotish" evaluation.
>
> You need to perhaps cut them a little slack... I mean, its the first
> attempt to hack a organic brain from freshly cultured neurons.

Well, I am probably wrong on this point. Does anybody know of any other
prior research that involves organic computing?

John Dallman

Aug 17, 2008, 10:50:00 AM8/17/08
In article <5TUpk.40045$yn5....@newsfe08.iad>, n...@spam.invalid (Chris
M. Thomasson) wrote:

> "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
> > You need to perhaps cut them a little slack... I mean, its the
> > first attempt to hack a organic brain from freshly cultured neurons.
> Well, I am probably wrong on this point. Does anybody know of any
> other prior research that involves organic computing?

I remember reading in 1982-3 of someone who was trying it, by trying to
get nerve tissue to talk to microelectronics.

--
John Dallman, j...@cix.co.uk, HTML mail is treated as probable spam.

jacko

Aug 17, 2008, 10:54:29 AM8/17/08
On 17 Aug, 12:43, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
> "jacko" <jackokr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Attatching the 'brain' output to wheels, is just so robot. I did say
another auto brain though, kind of implying next 'steps'. , Augmenting
a robot with a brain, sounds interesting, augmenting a brain with a
DSP copper backplane sounds intersesting too. or should that be
platinum or sirgical steel?

cheers
jacko

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 18, 2008, 4:38:33 AM8/18/08

> On 17 Aug, 12:43, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
>> "jacko" <jackokr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> > Sounds interesting, but seems limited to "robotish" evaluation.
>>
>> You need to perhaps cut them a little slack... I mean, its the first
>> attempt
>> to hack a organic brain from freshly cultured neurons.

>> > propose another auto "brain" whose function is to regulate and develop
>> > accelerated feedback accross the electrode grid, both positive,
>> > negative voltage and loop, along with entropic spread insertion.
>>
>> I think this research will take us to a place that is going to raise a
>> massive political debate indeed; what do you think? Am I off my rocker?
>
> Attatching the 'brain' output to wheels, is just so robot.

:^)

> I did say
> another auto brain though, kind of implying next 'steps'. , Augmenting
> a robot with a brain, sounds interesting,

Indeed.

> augmenting a brain with a
> DSP copper backplane sounds intersesting too. or should that be
> platinum or sirgical steel?

Perhaps surgical steel coated with a substance which attemtps to prevent
rejection; think organ transplants...

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 18, 2008, 4:43:02 AM8/18/08
"John Dallman" <j...@cix.co.uk> wrote in message

> In article <5TUpk.40045$yn5....@newsfe08.iad>, n...@spam.invalid (Chris
> M. Thomasson) wrote:
>> "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
>> > You need to perhaps cut them a little slack... I mean, its the
>> > first attempt to hack a organic brain from freshly cultured neurons.
>> Well, I am probably wrong on this point. Does anybody know of any
>> other prior research that involves organic computing?
>
> I remember reading in 1982-3 of someone who was trying it, by trying to
> get nerve tissue to talk to microelectronics.

Wow. Perhaps with time, us humans can actually begin to understand how to
hack living organic brain tissue into real contrived mechanical devices...
The only question I have would be what would the programming language
actually look like? Might it be a set of suggestions or would it resemble
real concrete rules? Could the processing medium basically say F-YOU? I will
do what I want!

:^o

jacko

Aug 18, 2008, 7:38:38 PM8/18/08
On 18 Aug, 09:43, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
> "John Dallman" <j...@cix.co.uk> wrote in message

> > In article <5TUpk.40045$yn5.1...@newsfe08.iad>, n...@spam.invalid (Chris

> > M. Thomasson) wrote:
> >> Well, I am probably wrong on this point. Does anybody know of any
> >> other prior research that involves organic computing?
>
> > I remember reading in 1982-3 of someone who was trying it, by trying to
> > get nerve tissue to talk to microelectronics.
>
> Wow. Perhaps with time, us humans can actually begin to understand how to
> hack living organic brain tissue into real contrived mechanical devices...
> The only question I have would be what would the programming language
> actually look like? Might it be a set of suggestions or would it resemble
> real concrete rules? Could the processing medium basically say F-YOU? I will
> do what I want!
>
> :^o

Programming would be a matter of specifying a set of network transfer
reductions. The implementation would be by the DSP non issuance of
productive use, thereby forcing 'neural' self motivation to go from
random to ordered provision. Or maybe ... ?

cheers
jacko.

jacko

Aug 18, 2008, 7:44:51 PM8/18/08
> jacko.- Hide quoted text -

to paraphrase the neuron, fu*k u i'm off, closly followed by either
I'm bored starting to do the right thing you stimulating feeder, or
woops no long arms.

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 19, 2008, 8:38:57 AM8/19/08
"jacko" <jacko...@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

> to paraphrase the neuron, fu*k u i'm off, closly followed by either
> I'm bored starting to do the right thing you stimulating feeder, or
> woops no long arms.

You raise good points. BTW, I have respect for your project:

http://indi.hpsdr.com

I really hope I takes off!

_____

I am thinking about something that might get me killfiled or flamed to the
Nth degree...

Well, if we start playing around with organic computing systems, humm, no
matter how contrived we attempt to make them, we might hit a wall of
free-will! Perhaps? Think programming a fictional quantum computer; roll the
dice?

:^o

Chris M. Thomasson

Aug 19, 2008, 8:40:22 AM8/19/08

> "jacko" <jacko...@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

> You raise good points. BTW, I have respect for your project:
>
> http://indi.hpsdr.com
>
> I really hope I takes off!

Oh crap! Ummm, I am sorry for the stupid typo. Of course I meant to write:

I really hope _it_ takes off!

http://indi.hpsdr.com
http://indi.hpsdr.com

[...]

jacko

Aug 19, 2008, 8:56:47 AM8/19/08
On 19 Aug, 13:40, "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote:
> "Chris M. Thomasson" <n...@spam.invalid> wrote in messagenews:n5zqk.32991$1N1....@newsfe07.iad...
>
> > "jacko" <jackokr...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> [...]
> > You raise good points. BTW, I have respect for your project:
>
> >http://indi.hpsdr.com
>
> > I really hope I takes off!
>
> Oh crap! Ummm, I am sorry for the stupid typo. Of course I meant to write:
>
> I really hope _it_ takes off!
>
> http://indi.hpsdr.comhttp://indi.hpsdr.com
>
> [...]

Been superceeded, http://nibz.googlecode.com a VHDL microprocessor,
indi was the daddy, but nibz has a higher execution efficiency and a
lower logic area, and is fully generic VHDL.

cheers
jacko