Gates that are 4-5 nanometers tall?

Chris Thomasson

May 11, 2007, 7:49:52 AM5/11/07
Anyone heard of research wrt creating hardware which has parts refined down
to the sub-atomic level?

Also, such thing as man-made organic computer?

I am not a troll!

:^0

Del Cecchi

May 11, 2007, 2:28:51 PM5/11/07
Chris Thomasson wrote:
> Anyone heard of research wrt creating hardware which has parts refined down
> to the sub-atomic level?
>
> Also, such thing as man-made organic computer?

> I am not a troll!
>
> :^0

I am not aware of even concepts, except possibly quantum computing, that
would work with subatomic sizes.

And no organic computers in the normal sense of the word computer,
although there is some interesting stuff in the DNA sequencing arena.

--
Del Cecchi
"This post is my own and doesn’t necessarily represent IBM’s positions,

Eric Smith

May 11, 2007, 8:04:44 PM5/11/07

Del Cecchi wrote:
> And no organic computers in the normal sense of the word computer,
> although there is some interesting stuff in the DNA sequencing arena.

Organic (plastic) transistors have been made, and fabricated into
circuits using a process similar to conventional printing. You could
use that process to make an organic computer. The performance and
memory density would be dismal, but perhaps it would be suitable for
some very specialized applications.

Del Cecchi

May 11, 2007, 9:06:37 PM5/11/07

"Eric Smith" <er...@brouhaha.com> wrote in message

And there is the process used in TFT displays. I guess you could make
logic out of that as well. But no one does.

Chris Thomasson

May 12, 2007, 12:25:15 AM5/12/07
"Del Cecchi" <cecchi...@us.ibm.com> wrote in message

> Chris Thomasson wrote:
>> Anyone heard of research wrt creating hardware which has parts refined
>> down to the sub-atomic level?
>>
>> Also, such thing as man-made organic computer?

>> I am not a troll!
>>
>> :^0
>>

> I am not aware of even concepts, except possibly quantum computing, that
> would work with subatomic sizes.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june07/chips_05-07.html
(refer to the last section near the end of the page entitles "Use of
nanotechnology".)

Seems there are some experiments going on wrt engineering the structure of a
molecule in a way that allows it to act as if it were a transistor.
Apparently, a ring of atoms can slide up and down the molecule which means
it can act like a switch.

Apparently they are making use of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, sulfur and
nitrogen in order to build the tiny transistors.

They claim that 160,000 transistors could fit in something as small as a
normal white blood cell...

What do you think? Can this stuff ever move out of the experimental phase
and into an actual prototyped chip, within say, 15-20 years?

Or will these guys end up experimenting with something that cannot be used
in any practical manner...

Humm...

> And no organic computers in the normal sense of the word computer,
> although there is some interesting stuff in the DNA sequencing arena.

I guess if a organic computer could ever be realized, lets say in the world
of a science fiction book or some vivid daydream, DNA would be the default
programming language indeed? Interesting. Well, I guess one could argue that
organic computers are already in wide spread use simply because a human
brain could be thought of as a highly advanced organic computer with
possible infinite storage capabilities...

Okay, back to reality! lol ;^)

Del Cecchi

May 12, 2007, 9:44:34 AM5/12/07

"Chris Thomasson" <cri...@comcast.net> wrote in message

> "Del Cecchi" <cecchi...@us.ibm.com> wrote in message
>> Chris Thomasson wrote:
>>> Anyone heard of research wrt creating hardware which has parts
>>> refined down to the sub-atomic level?
>>>
>>> Also, such thing as man-made organic computer?

>>> I am not a troll!
>>>
>>> :^0
>>>

>> I am not aware of even concepts, except possibly quantum computing,
>> that would work with subatomic sizes.
>
> http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/science/jan-june07/chips_05-07.html
> (refer to the last section near the end of the page entitles "Use of
> nanotechnology".)
>
> Seems there are some experiments going on wrt engineering the structure
> of a molecule in a way that allows it to act as if it were a
> transistor. Apparently, a ring of atoms can slide up and down the
> molecule which means it can act like a switch.

You did say SUBatomic, right? Like leptons, bosons, quarks?

I can believe all sorts of bizarre things about molecules and crystals.
Mostly because everytime I said that was crazy, it happened.

> Apparently they are making use of carbon, oxygen, hydrogen, sulfur and
> nitrogen in order to build the tiny transistors.
>
> They claim that 160,000 transistors could fit in something as small as
> a normal white blood cell...
>
> What do you think? Can this stuff ever move out of the experimental
> phase and into an actual prototyped chip, within say, 15-20 years?

Maybe, maybe not. Long ways to go.

> Or will these guys end up experimenting with something that cannot be
> used in any practical manner...

Or maybe they haven't figured out what to do with it.

> Humm...

snip

Alex Colvin

May 12, 2007, 10:31:23 AM5/12/07
>Anyone heard of research wrt creating hardware which has parts refined down
>to the sub-atomic level?

you mean components that are smaller than an atom?
Most computers use electrons, but in great herds, with fewer than one
bit/atom.

It's hard to refine parts at the sub-atomic level. NMR and ion trap qbits
come close to 1 qbit/atom.

>Also, such thing as man-made organic computer?

other than us?

You mean organic, as in carbon-based (see organic semiconductors)? As in
organism-based (myself, perhaps you too)? As in not tainted with
pesticides, hormones, or antibiotics, and generally wholesome
(http://www.atariarchives.org/deli/part2_forty.php)? Or as in forming an
harmonious whole (various threads on clean instruction sets)?

--
mac the naïf

Alex Colvin

May 12, 2007, 10:48:32 AM5/12/07
>You did say SUBatomic, right? Like leptons, bosons, quarks?

It's difficult to work with sub-atomic particles like leptons because they
tend to be indistinguishable, which makes them hard to address.

We do have single-electron transistors, which are controlled by the
presence of a single electron (lepton), but are built from many atoms.

Photons are bosons, and have been used as qbits. Quantum cryptography uses
single photons.

Anything with integer spin can be a boson, including atoms such as
rubidium-87, popular in Bose-Einstein Condensates. If you think a Pentium
is hard to cool...

--
mac the naïf