ColorHug Spectro Progress Update (and a chance to preorder)

Richard Hughes

Jan 12, 2014, 6:05:19 AM1/12/14
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I've been working on-and-off on the ColorHug Spectro for the last year
in my spare time (and those with young children know why I'm so behind
schedule...). I wanted to update you all as to progress so far.

I'm now at a point where the device specification is more-or-less
defined, sensors chosen, and I've got a space model *and* electrical
prototype. The optical side was always more of a challenge for me as
an electrical geek and it's basically impossible to build accurate
calibrated optics without a lot of experience and expensive equipment.
It's not possible to get an off-the-shelf optical spectrograph module
for less than double my competitors recommended retail price, let
alone at a component price point which makes the ColorHug Spectro
viable to build. After approaching perhaps a dozen optical-design
companies only one company wanted to discuss such a low-cost (and
relatively low volume) spectrograph design. For a batch size of 1000
units, a thermally compensated 5nm optical, 2nm digital custom CT
design spectrograph could meet the price I offered. We discussed
holographic concave gratings, but the design costs were prohibitive.
The catch is that to make it viable for them, I would have to share
the ~£50,000 NRE (Non-Recurring Engineering) design costs. As the NRE
would be shared, I would allow the company sell the spectrograph
component to other people and companies, which I hope fulfils the
OpenHardware criteria. The optical module would be a generic CT design
with polycarbonate shell, a set of front silvered planar and concave
mirrors, a diffraction grating and sensor, so no code or anything with
significant IP or patent protection.

So, to the point of this email. Before I go any further, I need to
work out if there is significant demand for the ColorHug Spectro.
Note, we haven't got anything close to £50K in the ColorHug current
account (I wish!) but I'm sure I could sort out something in that area
given some time. I've worked out the ColorHug Spectro sale price so
that we make no profit whatsoever for at least the first 250 units in
an attempt to keep the RRP competitive with the ColorMunki and the
i1Pro. If sufficient people preorder with a promise to buy the RRP
might indeed go down. If I don't get at least 100 pre-orders it's not
going to be economically viable to continue development. We don't have
any glossy renders of the finished designs but this will hopefully
come in due time. I'll post a lot more photos of the prototypes when
I'm not ashamed of how hacky everything looks.

At this point I am asking people to preorder for the ColorHug Spectro
with a suggested RRP of maximum £300. For this, the specification
would be (at least):

• 5nm optical resolution
• 2nm electrical resolution
• High CRI user-replaceable "burnt-in" tungsten illuminant
• DAC controlled UV LED user-replaceable illuminant (for FWA measurements)
• 0.125 degree temperature compensation
• Fixed slit size (exact specification tbd)
• Black ABS box with gaskets suitable for display, paper and printer
calibration (ambient add-on to be designed later)
• Individually calibrated CT spectrograph with spectral peak data and
wavelength absorption
• A RGB status LED that shows status and optionally the approximate
color of the measured sample (for a visual indication only)
• A USB protocol that allows you to access the realtime spectra, or
just a simple absolute XYZ value for a swatch
• Support in libcolorhug and colord, and hopefully also ArgyllCMS
• HugStrap for display measurements
• LiveCD with updates
• Bi-monthly firmware updates with new features and bugfixes
• Access to upgrades for early adopters like before. (This is likely
to involve "better" illuminants, perhaps an upgraded PCB, case etc.)
• A cardboard shipping box with free worldwide signed-for shipping

So, if you are fairly sure you'll want to buy a ColorHug Spectro in
about 9 months time (although it's not legally binding, and you can
cancel whenever) then could you please send an email to
in...@hughski.com with [preorder] in the subject. Please note if you
preorder - we DO NOT want any payment or your address/phone number. If
you've got any questions, concerns or are just delighted beyond words,
please reply to this email, either to myself or to everyone on the
mailing list.

I'll be updating http://www.hughski.com/spectro.html as the
specification is more nailed down and when we've got more pictures to
share, but of course I'll send email to the mailing list when that's
setup.

Thanks,

Richard and Ania

bruno.n...@gmail.com

May 1, 2015, 5:52:04 AM5/1/15
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I’m discovering this today, what is the status of ColorHug+ today?

Thanks,

Bruno

Richard Hughes

May 11, 2015, 12:54:20 PM5/11/15
On 1 May 2015 at 10:50, <bruno.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I’m discovering this today, what is the status of ColorHug+ today?

Sorry for the late response, we're 30% through a loft extension, and
now we're water-tight I can spent a bit more time on ColorHug again.
I've had two meetings in the last month with the supplier of the
sensor I'm planning to use in the ColorHug+. I've had a few false
starts, e.g. sensors that looked promising, but actually had some
issue with resolution, issues with polarised light, or issue with
temperature stability. If all goes to plan I can keep my suggested
RRP, and deliver a product that won't break my cash-flow.

So basically, getting there. I'll keep you posted with photos of the
prototypes when I've got contracts signed.

Richard.

bal...@gmail.com

Aug 19, 2015, 12:52:11 PM8/19/15
to colorhug-users

Just found out about this one myself :-) Hopefully it'll happen.

Richard.

Marutinu

Sep 6, 2015, 11:26:40 AM9/6/15
to colorhug-users

Richard, you're great.

I would definitely be interested in purchasing the ColorHug+ - if I understand correctly that it would allow me to calibrate both my IPS LED panel and ink printer under Linux.

I would like in advance to ask forgiveness if my further questions are silly, but I'm a total newbie to color calibration but want to set up a system within a year that would allow me to print photos in-house with control over the output - if at all possible then under Linux. I avoid Windows wherever it's possible.

1. Would ColorHug+ work with dispcalgui (and Argyll)?

2. Would it share components with the ColorHug 2? I mean, could ColorHug 2 be viewed as a "subset" of ColorHug+?

3. What commercial calibration product would it be comparable with - function-wise?

I would be grateful for a reply to the above.

Richard Hughes

Sep 7, 2015, 3:33:43 AM9/7/15
On 6 September 2015 at 15:28, Marutinu <mar...@limserv.pl> wrote:
> 1. Would ColorHug+ work with dispcalgui (and Argyll)?

I'd hope so, I'll certainly be sending Graeme a free unit for testing
(with a WIP patch) just like I did with ColorHug and ColorHug2.

> 2. Would it share components with the ColorHug 2? I mean, could ColorHug 2
> be viewed as a "subset" of ColorHug+?

The actual architecture is very similar although the sensor on the CH+
in all ways eclipses that of the CH2.

> 3. What commercial calibration product would it be comparable with -
> function-wise?

I'm aiming for something that works as well as (but not as sexy) as
the original ColorMunki.

Richard.

Marcin Grzesiak

Sep 7, 2015, 5:39:18 AM9/7/15
to colorhu...@googlegroups.com
Hello Richard,

thanks a lot.

In that case I would like to preorder the ColorHug+.

Best regards,

Marcin Grzesiak
--

----
Limes Services Marcin Grzesiak

Mobile: +48 609 797 110
E-mail: mar...@limserv.pl

Adam Sheridan

Aug 12, 2016, 8:39:26 AM8/12/16
to colorhug-users
Hi
Would it be worth your while to look at starting a kickstarter campaign for this to cover the production etc..

rhonal...@gmail.com

Jul 30, 2017, 6:56:03 AM7/30/17
to colorhug-users
Hi,

Is there any progress? Alternatively you guys can look to start a kick starter which will make things easy for everyone.