Re: [sage-notebook] django and the notebook

51 pagtingin
Lumaktaw sa unang mensaheng hindi pa nababasa

Alex Clemesha

hindi pa nababasa,
Okt 17, 2010, 7:43:14 PM10/17/10
para kaysage-n...@googlegroups.com, codenode-devel

On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:14 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jason Grout <jason...@creativetrax.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm curious: I know at one time, there was a sentiment that the notebook
>> ought to be rewritten using Django.

Codenode is working great on Django:
http://github.com/codenode/codenode
and while I haven't been much of a part of it recently, a top notch developer (James Casbon)
has basically taken the lead (as in I view him as lead developer of Codenode) and has been
putting in fantastic work.

> I personally never ever wanted to rewrite the notebook using Django.    I
> remember Timothy Clemans expressing a desire to do so.

I did too originally, but not anymore. But in our group, we are now
using tornado (http://github.com/facebook/tornado) for our "sage
notebook" rewrite. We actually don't use anything from the original
sage notebook anymore and rewrote everything from scratch using extjs.
It's a work in progress though, we are still debugging minor issues.
The code is here:

http://github.com/hpfem/femhub-online-lab

Just poking around the code, it's pretty clear there is a good amount of Codenode influence.
The source tree layout, naming schemes, the models, util functions, etc, etc.
I noticed this several months back:
http://groups.google.com/group/codenode-devel/browse_thread/thread/8bd42320b4db2a88/e5b917eecdc552c6

I think that influence perfectly fine, but in general the constant forking, forking, forking of all
these online code notebooks over the last several years is both disheartening - and encouraging - in that it's still anyone's
game to create the "defacto online code notebook".

-Alex

and it's running here:

http://lab-new.femhub.org/

But as I said it's still in heavy development, so it might break.

We use JSON RPC for the communications with the computational kernel,
which is what I always wanted, so I really like our design now. Most
of the basic things are in place (code completion, ....), so we now
need to keep going and make it usable.

Ondrej

--
Alex Clemesha
clemesha.org

Ondrej Certik

hindi pa nababasa,
Okt 17, 2010, 8:14:51 PM10/17/10
para kaycodenod...@googlegroups.com, sage-n...@googlegroups.com

Yes, we thought that instead of reinventing the wheel, we'll just take
codenode. We wrote a different interface to it (extjs based), which is
running here:

http://lab.femhub.org/

this actually uses codenode. But then it turned out that the backend
of codenode was too difficult to maintain and fix bugs in that, so we
rewrote it as well, now we use tornado (and that runs on the
lab-new.femhub.org address).

By "we", I mean Mateusz Paprocki, who did most of this fantastic work.

Ondrej

Pavel Solin

hindi pa nababasa,
Okt 17, 2010, 11:07:50 PM10/17/10
para kaycodenod...@googlegroups.com, sage-n...@googlegroups.com, femhub
Hi,
I would like to avoid a discussion of who did what and who took
what from someone else's project. The current Online Lab contains
certain concepts from both the Sage Notebook and Codenode.
We started with the Sage Notebook but had to leave it because of
the lack of structure in published worksheets and other things.
At that time we believed that Codenode would solve all our problems,
but after some time it became very difficult to fix and maintain.

If you guys cared to join the development of the Online Lab,
then we could see it as a joint project that already contains everyone's
contributions, and it would become a natural successor of both the
Sage Notebook and Codenode. It would be great to develop the
Online Lab together, as a common project between several
universities.

Alternatively, anyone can just fork the Online Lab and reuse some of
its parts as usual, this is perfectly fine.

Best,

Pavel

--
Pavel Solin
University of Nevada, Reno

James Casbon

hindi pa nababasa,
Nob 16, 2010, 5:00:06 AM11/16/10
para kaycodenod...@googlegroups.com, sage-n...@googlegroups.com
Thread resurrection!

On 18 October 2010 00:43, Alex Clemesha <clem...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 4:13 PM, Ondrej Certik <ond...@certik.cz> wrote:
>>
>> On Sun, Oct 17, 2010 at 8:14 AM, William Stein <wst...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >

>> > On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 2:40 PM, Jason Grout

>> > I personally never ever wanted to rewrite the notebook using Django.
>> > remember Timothy Clemans expressing a desire to do so.
>>
>> I did too originally, but not anymore. But in our group, we are now
>> using tornado (http://github.com/facebook/tornado) for our "sage
>> notebook" rewrite. We actually don't use anything from the original
>> sage notebook anymore and rewrote everything from scratch using extjs.
>> It's a work in progress though, we are still debugging minor issues.
>> The code is here:
>>
>> http://github.com/hpfem/femhub-online-lab
>
> Just poking around the code, it's pretty clear there is a good amount of
> Codenode influence.

Alex is right that the code is using Django for the model, which gets
you the admin interface which can be useful. Of course, you could
serve django models from a tornado server so they are not mutually
exclusive.

I have a few questions about femhub though, point me to source code if you like:
* how is the model expressed in femhub?
* if the communication to the kernel is JSON-RPC, how is that managed
(i.e this is not part of tornado, right?). i.e this was with twisted
in codenode (for which I have no particular love).
* to what extent are the kernels/engines pluggable?

The interesting part of codenode, for me, is the ability to plug in
any engines on different servers. Is femhub is designed with this in
mind?

thanks,
James

Pavel Solin