I have a cluster hat... what to do with it?

Gordon

Mar 28, 2022, 3:06:18 AMMar 28
to ClusterHAT
Hey there.

I got a cluster hat and 4 zero 2. Working well. I installed docker swarm and was playing around a bit. Cool so far... but... what to do with it?

2 things would be interesting for me, but I have no idea if it is possible and how.

1) I would like to speed up my database (MariaDB). I collect "big data" and the database has many write - but also read - actions. And also a lot of records already. I can "feel" that the engine is getting slower.
The idea in my head... to use the zeros to speed it up... somehow. Like 2 are used for data collecting and writing into the database and the other 2 are used for reading and process the data. I guess the bottleneck here is would be the database itself, which is on the host pi (pi4) on an SSD. But maybe it is possible to put it partly into the RAM?

2) I am working as well with Python. It is also used to collect the data and to process the data. Partly it uses a lot of CPU power (deep learning). So it would be helpfull if the work load could be split to the whole cluster.

Sorry for my english, I hope you understand what I want to say :-)
Is there any way to achieve it? The best would be without the need to study rocket science. :-)

Ian Goldsmith

Mar 28, 2022, 3:29:48 AMMar 28
to clust...@googlegroups.com
I think you’re asking a rocket science question, there are inly rocket science answers.

Sql Database operations need to happen in order, the previous operation needs to have updated the state before a new one can be done… you can sync to another though for the read operations.. to mostly happen from a mirror.
keeping lots of it in ram can improve speed but hard to do that distributed  - perhaps with sharding.  this isn’t the right hardware though if you really want speed.  One more powerful x86 cpu with a heap of ram will wipe the floor on speed & even power efficiency.  These systems are great for just small scale testing of stuff