To however just joined this group, and has Fibromyalsia

chest.e...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2005, 1:31:45 AM12/11/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises
I would recommend that you read
http://flashpages.prodigy.net/lreid/cable%20article.htm
It is the most informative article on chest expanders that I have
found. Also, Instead of starting at 8 repetitions, and working to 15,
then adding a strand, I would recommend starting at 15 reps, working up
to 25, and then adding a strand. My wife has Myofacial Syndrome, which
is like Fibromyalsia, but it is constant.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Dec 11, 2005, 8:05:00 AM12/11/05
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com

I've got about average length arms, so what's the cheapest, decent set of
strands out there? I'm thinking of getting a set for my birthday in Jan, so
any suggestions?
What I'm after is simply some variation to my normal training (free
weights), & price is a factor (as I'm back to being a student again at the
moment!).
Also, having a central page that could list all the links to free strand
courses would be an idea. I don't mind bunging up a selection on the VBB
site in the "exercise form" section
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/ex-form.htm if anyone fancies the ideas?

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

chest.e...@gmail.com

Dec 11, 2005, 2:53:00 PM12/11/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Lifeline is the best for the money. Here is the link:
http://www.lifelineusa.com/products.cfm?categoryid=4&productid=16
here are the resistance levels:
http://www.lifelineusa.com/faq.cfm?categoryid=6

chest.e...@gmail.com

Dec 13, 2005, 11:49:42 PM12/13/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Yes, I would like to post the free strand courses on your page.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Dec 14, 2005, 8:38:53 AM12/14/05
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
OK what we can do if compose a list of courses & published articles(we can
bung up a link for this group too as it would be useful for those new too
training with strands (like me :-).

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

chest.e...@gmail.com

Dec 15, 2005, 10:07:13 PM12/15/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises

chest.e...@gmail.com

Dec 23, 2005, 12:33:54 AM12/23/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Have you ordered any expanders yet?

Vegan Bodybuilding

Dec 23, 2005, 2:41:06 PM12/23/05
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

no, I can't actually afford any until the New year (me birthday's at the end
of Jan, so I'm hoping for a gift!).
Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

Dec 23, 2005, 3:11:10 PM12/23/05
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Read the thread "Ironmind Cables" It has info on Sampson, Ironmind, and
Lifeline.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Jan 27, 2006, 11:33:46 AM1/27/06
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
HI all,

sorry for the delay in this, but I've finally started to add strand pulling
form sites to the exercise form pages of VBB. So, far only the below list
are up, so anymore & I'll bung them up (I'll try my best to be a bit faster
next time!)
http://www.veganbodybuilding.org/ex-form.htm

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

Jan 28, 2006, 12:24:18 AM1/28/06
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Thank you. I'll let you know if I find any more.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Feb 5, 2006, 6:08:23 AM2/5/06
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
OK I didn't decide on the cheapest, I went with Ironmind Fabled Cables, as I
know the company make quality stuff (I've got various CoC grippers, Rolling
Thunder Handle etc), so they should be here within the next couple of weeks.
Anyway, now I want any of you guys (& gals of course) who fit in training
with strands with regular weight training to give me a few ideas on fitting
them in. I do a traditional M,W,F system at the moment (although at times I
go through a M,T,T,F week). Do I drop some moves & replace with cables,
scrap the present routine, start from scratch with a weight/strands workout.
Have strand & weight days separate. I know strands don't affect recovery so
much, so maybe you'd add an extra strand day in?
I'd like to know how you have fitted in your strand work to your
conventional weight training.
You'll probably need a bit about my goals etc to have some idea. I've moved
away from the size is most important, towards a more maximum size plus
maximum strength aim, so I'd be willing to compromise a bit on size to gain
more strength (& vice versa). I would like to achieve the best of both with
decent size & strength. I'm also starting this year (as I hit 40) to begin
to add in some extra flexibility & possibly considering some agility work-as
those too seem to decline first as you age, & I'm already not that flexible
or agile :-).
If any of you'd would like to share what your doing now, your favourite
routines, or even write-up a routine you think would demonstrate how you've
combined weights & strands, then that would be great. I'm not expecting
everyone to be a write a master class in combining weights & strands by the
way, so even if you're not an expert just jot it down & we can all get an
idea of what sort of training we've got going on the list (as well as help
me :-).
Anyway's happy training out there,

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

chest.e...@gmail.com

Feb 5, 2006, 8:43:50 AM2/5/06
to exercise - chest expander exercises
I just started working weights and strands together a month ago. I'll
post an answer later, as I just had to work all night at home on my
laptop computer, to meet a deadline at work.

Vegan Bodybuilding

Mar 13, 2006, 2:48:55 PM3/13/06
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com

Hi all,

Just got my new set of ironmind strands. I got 5 strands with the set,
unfortunately I can already pull 5 for a lot of moves & 4 for some of the
more difficult angles. I expected harder from ironmind as I'm really not
that strong & the moves are totally new to me. Within a week or two I'll
need extra strands which is a pain as it's more expense. I honestly
expected to only be able to pull a strand or two of the set, as it was
supposed to be a mega-hard set (from what I could gather).
Still, can't really moan about being too strong for your equipment, can you
:-)
Anyway, haven't really planned how these are going to fit in with my
training yet as I'm still mucking about with the moves, seeing how I like
various things etc.
Has anyone read John Brookfield's book "Training with cables", any good? As
a side note.
One of the main reasons I bought the strands in the first place is to aid in
strengthening my rotator cuff area (as I damaged it badly doing trapeze
years ago) & so far the joint is feeling a bit tighter. Hopefully, if it
recovers enough I'll finally get that bodyweight shoulder press without
damaging my shoulder joint!
Still hanging on for you lot to put up some ideas for strand/weight hybrid
routines or ideas, but for now I'll keep on trying a few different scenarios
& see which I like the feel of.
All the best & keep it heavy :-)

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org

chest.e...@gmail.com

Mar 14, 2006, 8:01:02 AM3/14/06
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Try #5, "Cable laterals and variations" from:
http://flashpages.prodigy.net/lreid/cable%20article.htm

chest.e...@gmail.com

Mar 17, 2006, 8:45:06 PM3/17/06
to exercise - chest expander exercises
Have you tried the cable laterals, in particular, the low behind the
back, and the front lateral raise?

Vegan Bodybuilding

Mar 18, 2006, 3:43:52 AM3/18/06
to chest-expand...@googlegroups.com
That's an idea. As I said I'm new to using strands, so I'm still doing the
most obvious moves (probably the strongest for most of us), like the (these
are my names) front pull (in front of chest), overhead pull(from overhead to
behind neck with arms like a crucifix at end), tricep extension (one arm
straight down behind back, the other pulls the strands up to above head),
yes, the odd curl too :-), tried something like pulling a bow, but need more
tension for that really, also a kind of one arm upright row with a handle
under your foot (thinking about it you might well be able to lat raise like
that as well? - Think that would be a toughie!).
I sent off for John Brookfields book about cable training(& will have to
look at some of those courses available online from the old days).
I also tried the fabled cables out on this really huge gym rat I know. He's
benched forever, squats a small bus & is pretty strong at most normal gym
stuff. He could hardly pull 4 strands in front! Just shows that you need
to train differently sometimes to get strong at everything.

Pete www.veganbodybuilding.org