JRT B87A / Shot Failed JRT Timeout

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 1, 2021, 4:36:47 AM4/1/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hello,

I am in the process of building a Caveatron.
I had originally ordered a JRT B605B. But then a JRT B87A was delivered. After I here in the forum what requirements are placed on the laser, I was of the opinion that this should also work, especially the JRT because apparently acts as a successor model. Unfortunately, I now always get the message. Shot Failed JRT Timeout. What does the error message?

Greetings Carsten

Thomas Marguet

Apr 1, 2021, 5:17:29 AM4/1/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hi Carsten,

As far as I understand the JRT B87A is the replacement for the B707C but will respond to HEX commands, not ASCII. Just to make sure this is the issue, you should ask jane...@jrt-measure.com.
JRT B605B and B707C respond to ASCII command (O,C,D,S) and are compatible with the Caveatron but both models are not produced anymore. JRT still had some B707C in stock last December, and Joe always find some on Ebay.

Regards
Thomas

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 1, 2021, 6:38:45 AM4/1/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hello

I think the B87A can handle the ASCII commands (O,C,D,S)

http://de.jrt-measure.com/laser-measurement-solutions/57661839.html

But I am not sure. Possibly there are also variants of the B87A.

Greetings Carsten

Thomas Marguet

Apr 1, 2021, 8:04:47 AM4/1/21
to caveatron-discuss
I'm no expert but it does looks like Hex to me, check in Kommunikation. But I might be wrong
Also, when I assembled mine, I wrongly wired the Tx/Rx as I got confused with the instructions... when I swapped the wires, it worked better.

caveatron-discuss

Apr 1, 2021, 9:53:53 PM4/1/21
to caveatron-discuss
From what I can tell, the one's direct from the manufacturer use hex commands whereas the one's on Ebay use ASCII. I wonder if they are being reflashed before they are sold there. At any rate, do you have a sheet that shows the commands and the responses? If the responses are the same and its just hex commands, I could probably make a custom firmware version for you pretty easily. However, if it also has hex responses with the distance readings, that is harder to get right without a piece of equipment to test.

I have not had any difficulty finding the JRT ASCII versions on Ebay. A search for "laser distance meter" usually works. In fact I just posted an updated BOM a few days ago with current links for those.
Joe

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 3, 2021, 1:30:41 PM4/3/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hello Joe,

I bought exactly at your current link. But shortly before Christmas. There I got the B87A delivered but I noticed only too late. How can you tell if they use HEX or ASCII? Is the timeout error certainly at HEX?

Greetings Carsten

caveatron-discuss

Apr 3, 2021, 2:25:45 PM4/3/21
to caveatron-discuss

You would need to get the communications protocol and command set information from the place you purchased it. If you can get a command list, I can try to make a version to support it if you can test it for me.
Joe

caveatron-discuss

Apr 3, 2021, 7:30:55 PM4/3/21
to caveatron-discuss
One more thing - if it does anything at all when operated with the Caveatron code (like the laser turns on when you press the Manual mode button) then its definitely the ASCII version. Otherwise it would be totally unresponsive.
Joe

Joe Walko

Apr 3, 2021, 8:56:41 PM4/3/21
to caveatron-discuss
And just to add to the potential confusion with the JRT product line...

So now we have the JRT PNF-1411B, B605B, B707C, B87A, as well as this upcoming BA6A version.

"JRT B605B/B87A laser distance sensor - new version BA6A

2021-03-05

At the beginning of 2021, JRT completed its new software system upgrade for B605B/B87A modules.The new version has the same size as B87A(65x40x18mm) and can be measured in more difficult conditions, such as sunlight, dust and other environments."

image.png

Regards, Joe W.

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 6, 2021, 2:48:15 PM4/6/21
to caveatron-discuss
I have written to the seller from whom I ordered.
(same link as in Joe's parts list).
They sent me the attached manual.

But it is not specifically for the B87A because I got delivered.
Rather for a whole series.

Greeting Carsten

https://www.ebay.de/itm/292329869069?mkevt=1&mkpid=0&emsid=e11051.m43.l1123&mkcid=7&ch=osgood&euid=13fbf0abafa24173b5b4ee21a1554aa4&bu=45273154626&osub=-1%7E1&crd=20210406075628&segname=11051&sojTags=ch%3Dch%2Cbu%3Dbu%2Cosub%3Dosub%2Ccrd%3Dcrd%2Csegname%3Dsegname%2Cchnl%3Dmkcid
Large laser module user manual.pdf

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 6, 2021, 2:58:18 PM4/6/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hello

the laser is permanently on in manual mode.

When I first wired the 3-pin connector
on RPLIDAR PIN 2 and PIN 3 were mixed up. Could this have caused a defect in the electronics?

Greeting Carsten
IMG_20210406_205236_779.jpg
IMG_20210406_205324_198.jpg

caveatron-discuss

Apr 6, 2021, 9:00:57 PM4/6/21
to caveatron-discuss
If the laser is on when in Manual mode and turns off when exiting, that is correct behavior and your LRF uses ASCII. While in Manual mode, tap the Range toggle switch in the lower left to ON. Then place your retroreflective card some distance away with the laser hitting it and tap the center of the screen. It should beep 3 times and obtain a distance measurement. Remember, if you are not pointing the laser at a retroreflective card when trying to take a distance reading, it will return an error. (I'm assuming you have installed the filter over the receiver side of the LRF.)
Joe

Carsten Wimmer

Apr 7, 2021, 4:49:29 PM4/7/21
to caveatron-discuss
Hello

Lee Colour Filter 299 1.2 N.D. are installed 2-layer folded.
 Reflector 3M™ Scotchlite™ foil Retroreflective 580-10E White is also used.

Laser turns on in manual mode.
VID_20210407_221802neu.mp4

caveatron-discuss

Apr 10, 2021, 9:33:11 AM4/10/21
to caveatron-discuss
If the laser turns on in Manual mode and turns off when exiting, then it is accepting the ASCII commands, so I don't think the problem is there. Some suggestions to try:
The RX side of the LRF seems to be working so try resoldering the TX connection on both ends. When I have problems with hardware when assembling a system, it is almost always solder joint problems.
Remove the LRF from the enclosure to take out any affect the filter material and retroreflector and try to measure a wall. Maybe this LRF has a different sensitivity than others I have used in the past.
You can test either in Manual mode in the main software or a more basic test with the Hardware Setup code loaded where there is an LRF test function.
Joe