reefing

Jose Faraldo-Gomez

Nov 4, 2021, 4:16:56 PM11/4/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I’m considering buying a new C355 with an in-mast mainsail furler (moving up from a 22-ft daysailer) and one of the many questions I have is how to best reef the sail in significant wind. I take it one must point into the wind, with the boom perhaps slightly off center to facilitate furling? Or is it possible to reef from other/any point(s) of sail?

A related question is, in sporty conditions, do owners typically find that partially furling the 135 genoa is a better or worse option than replacing it with a smaller jib before leaving the dock?

Thanks for any input - and for all the info in this group. So helpful.

Jose

Marvin Isgur

Nov 4, 2021, 4:25:43 PM11/4/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
The mainsail furling can get wrinkled or get folded. This can obstruct both opening and closing the mainsail. I suggest the the wind be between 10 and 30 degrees off of the starboard bow. Loosen the main sheet before you reef as well. With that combination, I have never had an issue.

Hope that this helps! Good luck. You will love the 355

Sent from my iPhone

> On Nov 4, 2021, at 4:16 PM, Jose Faraldo-Gomez <jose.f...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Hi all,
> --
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups Catalina355 group. To post to this group, send email to catal...@googlegroups.com. To unsubscribe from this group, send email to catalina355...@googlegroups.com. For more options, visit this group at https://groups.google.com/d/forum/catalina355?hl=en
>
> If changing the topic, please start a new message and send to catal...@googlegroups.com, rather than clicking "reply" to an existing message.
> ---
> You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Catalina355" group.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/catalina355/A19B2C3B-7136-48FA-9509-5E78E6E5758A%40gmail.com.

Zach Smith

Nov 4, 2021, 4:45:29 PM11/4/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
My biggest gripe with the in mast furling is when u need to unfurl just a bit... Say when the wind drops from 25kts to 20kts and youre going from "2nd" reef to "1st" reef. With the continuous line that goes to the drum at the mast it is possible to let it go slack and then have the entire main come dumping out. Especially tricky if you are single handing.

As for the headsail, a purpose cut sail will always be more efficient than a partially furled, but it works just fine furling the genoa. I wouldnt worry about it unless you like changing sails or are racing. :)

Michael Green

Nov 4, 2021, 5:41:20 PM11/4/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com

The main furls on a shaft inside the mast by rotating counterclockwise, so it is much easier to furl and unfurl with the boom a bit to port.

Mike

Juan Galan

Nov 4, 2021, 6:55:09 PM11/4/21
to catal...@googlegroups.com
We only daysail in Biscayne Bay[Miami] and rarely go out if winds are over 15kts.
We find it very easy to unfurl/furl both the Main and the Genoa. You have clutches to hold the loop[keep it tight] that controls how the main goes out until ready to move main. Usually, my wife unfurls the main while I am holding the loop line.
The comment made about the boom slightly to port is correct as it helps but we often furl it in at end of daysail with boom on center - we never head into wind to bring main or jib in.
The Catalina 355 is a great boat - we had a 2015 36 Beneteau and a 2016 Hunter 31 previously. Our 355[shoal draft] has over 6,000# ballast while Beneteau had 4,000+# and Hunter 31 had 3500#. That extra ballast makes a huge difference -she sails with less heel and is stiffer in a puff!! Looks wise , the Platinum edition Beneteau was a looker that got lots of thumbs up, but the Catalina 355 is recognized as a great boat. I think they are getting close to hull# 200, which is quite an achievement!
Juan Galan #147