Modelling of incomplete combustion in a reactor network with stopping criteria by temperatures. Is it possible in Cantera (python)?

Francisco Mesquita Guimarães

Jul 16, 2021, 12:53:15 PM7/16/21
to Cantera Users' Group
Dear all,

I’m working on a model of a stabilized burner for the combustion of ammonia/hydrogen that consists of some Perfectly Stirred Reactors and one Plug-Flow Reactor. About it you can become aware of some more details in this post: https://groups.google.com/g/cantera-users/c/A2sqfuhuBVI.

At the moment, I am struggling with some problems. As you can see from the charts, the predicted temperature profile follows (more or less...) the tendency of the experiments profile but it does not happen for the predicted NOx emissions. They stay the same through the pfr.

T_without_emiss_walls.jpeg

NOx_without_emiss_walls.jpeg

O2_without_emiss_walls.jpeg

I suppose that my model is assuming that no reaction occurs in the pfr so the NOx emissions are the same all along it. But the experiments show a little different reality...

As far as I understand, incomplete combustion should be occurring in the reactors of this chain of reactors, as the emissions vary. But I can't simulate that in my model!

I have the experimental temperatures profile (and the NOx and O2 ones) so, if it is possible in any way, maybe I could use that as a stopping criteria to attain a specific point of incomplete combustion.

Am I being clear enough?

Can anyone tell me if this hypothesis makes sense and if it is possible to implement with Reactor Network, from Cantera? Or any other suggestions for dealing with this problem?

Many thanks!

Francisco