Re: [caborico] Strong track

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 16, 2013, 7:52:23 PM8/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/16/2013 7:41:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tc...@aol.com writes:
Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 16, 2013, 7:53:17 PM8/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Use Harken Ball bearing cars and track.

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 18, 2013, 1:41:09 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have a full batten main also and use the Harken ball bearing set up. You have to keep the balls cleaned once a year and use One Drop lube. I have no trouble getting it up or reefing on the go. And it drops like a rock. I can drop it with the wind from 180.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/18/2013 1:04:37 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, ldcb...@aol.com writes:
Hey Brian,
I missed a lot of this thread. Do you have a full battened main?
We do with Harken Bat cars. It is one heavy rig to raise.
Thx
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 17, 2013, at 8:53 PM, GARBOARD <go...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I plan on getting one.  All the staff at Hathaway's Sail and Rigging shop in CT where I sent my sails for cleaning and repair highly recommend this system.

Brian,
C/R 38 # 150

On Friday, August 16, 2013 7:41:56 PM UTC-4, David Cameron Miss Molly wrote:
Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

Larry Barker

Aug 18, 2013, 2:02:28 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yea we so all that and it still is a load to haul up for some reason
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 18, 2013, 9:36:01 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
If I have two people on the boat, one at the mast pulls down and the one in the cockpit pulls in and the last couple of feet the one in the cockpit cranks up the last few feet.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Larry Barker

Aug 19, 2013, 6:49:06 AM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yea I know. I sail by myself a frequently anymore.  Anything that helps the hoist would be great.
Think electric winch.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 19, 2013, 9:18:14 AM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have an older boat, and the mast I have does not have a flat surface on the stern side of the mast, I could not use the Strong system, the Harken ball bearing system for my full battened sail works well. The aluminum track it uses fit my mast.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/18/2013 10:50:22 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, go...@earthlink.net writes:
Larry:
I have a full battened main.  I'm just going to use what came with the boat until I learn what I'm doing and decide on what changes I need to make ?  All my sails are up a Hathaway's in  CT. for cleaning and repair right now.
I pulled my coupling and shaft yesterday and want to pull the Algonquin Brass tailpiece that houses the cutlass bearing but I'm not sure how to proceed without getting myself in trouble.
Here is a copy of the questions I sent Algonquin who made this unit.

I'm working on a 1991 Cabo Rico 38 Sail boat and need info on removing the oostbo125 tailpiece in order to press a new cutlass bearing out and back in.  There is a double nutted stud at the top and bottom of the tailpiece that attaches it to the hull. Do you have any experience with Cabo Rico's design on this. I wonder if the bolt or stud heads are made or welded into a plate so they cannot turn or if its a can of worms.  There is no access to the inside to hold or even see the back side of the studs or bolts whichever they used. My question is :  Is this tailpiece internally threaded into the shaft log & if so is it right or left hand threads ?  Do I need to pull the tailpiece back to clear the studs to unscrew the tailpiece ? Do you make the log for this boat ?  If so what PN # is it and does it also have a shaft bearing in the middle .  The shaft is 1 1/4" and the O.D of the stuffing box fitting is 2 1/4" . Let me know ?
Thank You Much,
Brian

I see on the threads that you had yours replaced.  I wondered if you did it or hired it done ?  I just am afraid of getting those internal bolts turning and not being able to access them to hold and tighten them.   Can you offer any guidance on this ?

Thanks Much ,
Brian

On 8/18/2013 1:04 PM, Larry Barker wrote:
Hey Brian,
I missed a lot of this thread. Do you have a full battened main?
We do with Harken Bat cars. It is one heavy rig to raise.
Thx
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 17, 2013, at 8:53 PM, GARBOARD <go...@earthlink.net> wrote:

I plan on getting one.  All the staff at Hathaway's Sail and Rigging shop in CT where I sent my sails for cleaning and repair highly recommend this system.

Brian,
C/R 38 # 150

On Friday, August 16, 2013 7:41:56 PM UTC-4, David Cameron Miss Molly wrote:
Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 19, 2013, 9:22:32 AM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have been looking for one of the Milwaukee 18 volt, or maybe 120 volt, right angle drills.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

On Aug 18, 2013, at 1:41 PM, Cab...@aol.com wrote:

I have a full batten main also and use the Harken ball bearing set up. You have to keep the balls cleaned once a year and use One Drop lube. I have no trouble getting it up or reefing on the go. And it drops like a rock. I can drop it with the wind from 180.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

S/V Silhouette

Aug 19, 2013, 10:46:03 PM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
My Bainbridge mast section is not flat on the aft side either since it
is elliptical in shape but the StrongTrack fits just fine. I had initial
concerns but sent a tracing of my mast section to Jeff Strong, the
"Strong" behind StrongTrack and he said "No, problem. It will fit and
work fine." He was correct.

Patrick
S/V Silhouette

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 20, 2013, 4:09:38 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
You can Google Harken and find the info on how to attach the track. I installed the track in less than a day.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/19/2013 11:13:35 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cr3...@msn.com writes:
Leslie,
Does the new track need to be screwed or riveted up the entire mast?

Nick

On Aug 19, 2013, at 6:52 AM, "Larry Barker" <ldcb...@aol.com> wrote:

Leslie,
Is the new sail full batten or no?

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 18, 2013, at 10:17 PM, Leslie Owen <kb3...@gmail.com> wrote:

We put the Strong Track on Tango the first year we had her (2005) and we were getting a new main.  Since I work the deck, I love it.  It is easy to pull up and it drops quickly.  We installed it ourselves.  We were worried and it was easy!  Kind of scary when you cut the tape off that big circle of track.  :)

I think someone on the Cabo site had some issues with their Strong Track breaking down.  Don't know if it was a problem with the batch of material used to make it or if there was a chemical put on it.  We have had good performance with ours and would replace it with the same..

Leslie

SV Tango, CR 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD

N C

Aug 20, 2013, 4:18:05 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Breck.

I was on the Tides website and couldn't open the files, I think the wifi at my marina was having a slow down. Once I finally got on there and read everything it seems self explanatory and straight forward.

Have you ever had any of the slides pop out of the track in heavy wind?

Thanks again,

Nick

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 20, 2013, 4:22:45 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I could not use the Strong track because of the shape of my mast. You have to have a flat area on the trailing edge of the mast for it to work properly, so I went with Harken that has a track that is snug against my curved mast. I know of no one that has had a problem with Strong Track or Harken. Harken you have to clean and lube the track/ball cars with One Drop every year or so.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 20, 2013, 4:31:02 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
It is screws into the housing ,but if I remember  its lefty lousy? I have an old one in the garage if you need it checked. The trick is to push the bolts back into the boat so you can unscrew the tailpiece but still get them back out. I have had to replace the bolts and getting to the one under the log is tough. Also you have to modify the head of the bolt by welding on a small plate so the bolt wont turn as you tighten the nut. I used longer bolts so I could Loc Tite them and double nut and still screw a zinc on the end of each bolt.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/19/2013 10:40:10 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cr3...@msn.com writes:
Brian,
I remember Fraser saying that the shaft log is a left hand thread and is screwed into the housing.

Nick

On Aug 18, 2013, at 10:50 PM, "BRIAN GORTNEY" <go...@earthlink.net> wrote:

[...]

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 20, 2013, 4:34:07 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I did the same, they machined me a bunch of samples, but the curve was too much. Older boat, #19

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 20, 2013, 9:14:04 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
My previous mainsail had half battens with plastic slugs, hard to get down with any wind. Impossible to reef on the run. I felt it was unsafe. I decided to go to a full batten main and tracks. The Dutchman was too hard to keep up and the track would not conform to my mast, the Strong system also would not conform to my mast. I tried different types of slugs, I looked at several other set ups, then bit the bullet and coughed up the money for the Harken Ball set up with my full batten main.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/20/2013 7:22:06 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, kb3...@gmail.com writes:
Larry, we did not opt for the full batten Main.  We had a full batten main on our last vessel and were really NOT fond of it.  Course we did not have the advantage of the Strong Track with it and maybe that would have made all the difference....

Our sail has battens just not full battens.  It is loose footed.  We are not racers and just hope to get to our destination and back in comfort.  :}

Leslie
sv Tango, CR 34

On Sat, Aug 17, 2013 at 8:53 PM, GARBOARD <go...@earthlink.net> wrote:
I plan on getting one.  All the staff at Hathaway's Sail and Rigging shop in CT where I sent my sails for cleaning and repair highly recommend this system.

Brian,
C/R 38 # 150

On Friday, August 16, 2013 7:41:56 PM UTC-4, David Cameron Miss Molly wrote:
Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

N C

Aug 23, 2013, 2:33:27 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
To All,

Thanks for the information. I hate having to take money out of the beer fund to buy the track but, if the mains'l goes up as easy as everyone says I guess I'll only need one beer after hoisting the main instead of the usual 6 pack!

Nick

On Aug 23, 2013, at 2:22 PM, Cab...@aol.com wrote:

I seem to remember you tied it to the main halyard and pulled it up???

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/22/2013 12:23:37 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time, svsilh...@gmail.com writes:
No, no issues whatsoever with the headboard.

As for the installation make sure you follow the instructions and do not
cut all the plastic ties on the roll at the start. You want to cut one
or two at the start and then cut them one or two at a time as you unroll
the track as you push it up the mast.

Patrick

On 8/20/2013 4:35 AM, N C wrote:
> Patrick:
>
> I was able to finally go through the online instructions. The first time I tried was on my IPad at a bad wifi location. They do seem pretty straight forward. They make mention of the headboard popping out of the track under heavy load, have you every experienced any problems like that with the headboard or slides?
>
> Nick

S/V Silhouette

Aug 23, 2013, 2:44:27 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
No, actually, you just need to push it up. They do ship a short section
(10-12") of your actual track that you hook to a halyard and pull up and
then down to ensure there are no burrs or other obstacles to get in the
way of the real thing. The track itself just pushes up and was very easy
to do on my mast section.

Patrick

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 23, 2013, 2:22:40 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I seem to remember you tied it to the main halyard and pulled it up???

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 23, 2013, 3:12:43 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
A six is still nice. And you will be able to reef on the run.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/23/2013 2:33:30 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, cr3...@msn.com writes:
To All,

Thanks for the information. I hate having to take money out of the beer fund to buy the track but, if the mains'l goes up as easy as everyone says I guess I'll only need one beer after hoisting the main instead of the usual 6 pack!

Nick

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 23, 2013, 3:14:07 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Ok, that project was many years ago. Mind going.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

On 8/23/2013 8:22 AM, Cab...@aol.com wrote:
> I seem to remember you tied it to the main halyard and pulled it up???

David Cameron

Aug 23, 2013, 6:23:38 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Regarding installing the StrongTrack. Pulling it up with your main halyard creates a dead end. How do you detach your halyard to retrieve it? Maybe I am missing something. My understanding is you push it up and secure the bottom with a screw. I ordered it today any insight will be appreciated.
Dave

S/V Silhouette

Aug 23, 2013, 10:15:39 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
You use the halyard to haul it up and a second line to haul it down. As
noted that operation is just to ensure there will be no issues when you
push the real thing up the mast.

Patrick

N C

Aug 23, 2013, 10:38:45 PM8/23/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Tie the halyard to the clevis pin on the top of the Tides track with a highwayman's knot with a long tail (it has to be in reach so you can release the halyard from the clevis pin) and then tie a separate tag line to the halyard so you can pull the halyard back down.

Nick

Cab...@aol.com

Aug 24, 2013, 4:45:50 PM8/24/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
That's right it has been awhile since I did the mainsail track thing. The part that you pulled up and down the mast was to see if it would fit all the way. As with the Harken set up, you push up from the bottom.

In a message dated 8/23/2013 6:23:39 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, tc...@aol.com writes:
Regarding installing the StrongTrack. Pulling it up with your main halyard creates a dead end. How do you detach your halyard to retrieve it? Maybe I am missing something. My understanding is you push it up and secure the bottom with a screw. I ordered it today any insight will be appreciated.
Dave

Ok, that project was many years ago. Mind going.

Breck Caine CR 38 #19

In a message dated 8/23/2013 2:44:26 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, svsilh...@gmail.com writes:
No, actually, you just need to push it up. They do ship a short section
(10-12") of your actual track that you hook to a halyard and pull up and
then down to ensure there are no burrs or other obstacles to get in the
way of the real thing. The track itself just pushes up and was very easy
to do on my mast section.

Patrick

On 8/23/2013 8:22 AM, Cab...@aol.com wrote:
> I seem to remember you tied it to the main halyard and pulled it up???

David Cameron

Aug 25, 2013, 7:39:20 AM8/25/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Anybody tell me what the top Yoke looks like? I am Yokeless.

Kale Gorham

Jun 27, 2021, 5:38:02 PM6/27/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I have it its great the main falls down as before you had to literally had to pull it down.

Leslie.Owen

Jun 27, 2021, 6:04:40 PM6/27/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yes..we have one also..but reading a lot of sudden failures..especially those exposed in the southern climes.

Leslie
S/V Tango

Sent from my iPad

cab...@aol.com

Jul 1, 2021, 6:24:42 PM7/1/21
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I used Harkin cars. Works great rest to put on. Just have to wash the cars out with soap and water once a year.

Dave Newberg

Jul 1, 2021, 10:51:37 PM7/1/21
to cabo79 via caborico
We've had a strong track on Cigano our 34 for many years — has always worked great.
The sail goes almost to the top just hauling by hand, drops like a rock in any conditions and nearly any point of sail.
It was a huge improvement.

Cheers
Dave