Strong track

David Cameron Miss Molly

Aug 16, 2013, 7:41:56 PM8/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

S/V Silhouette

Aug 16, 2013, 10:58:57 PM8/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I do. I installed it before I left Seattle and headed out here. I love
it. Besides top quality sails it was the best money I ever spent on the
boat as far as the rig goes. I have a Bainbridge Spars mast and it has
an internal track. Jammed all the time, up and down no matter how many
times i replaced the slugs and no matter what type they were or what
they were lubricated with. The Strong Track made a world of difference.
I can pull my fully batten main to within inches of its full hoist by
hand. When you want it down just release the halyard and stand back and
it drops like a lead weight. Really amazing. Works so well that I am
able, using a few extra tricks, to reef while running downwind and
that's much better than having to turn the boat around in big seas.

I followed the recommendation of my sail maker and used the Strong Track
slides but have Schaefer Batt Car batten ends. The Strong Track slides
with the threaded rod ends fit the Schaefer hardware perfectly.

Let me know if you have any other questions but the Internet is a long
walk from the harbor so I may not be online everyday.

Patrick
S/V Silhouette
CR38, #43

ron Gmail

Aug 16, 2013, 11:10:37 PM8/16/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com, cabo...@googlegroups.com
I got it last year. Highly recommend. Incredible.

Ron Acierno
Director, PTSD Clinical Team RHJ VAMC Charleston SC

Professor, Psychiatry
Medical University South Carolina

Clinical and Technical Advisor, Boardmember
Veterans on Deck 501c3

Sent from my iPhone

On Aug 16, 2013, at 7:41 PM, David Cameron Miss Molly <tc...@aol.com> wrote:

Any one have Strong Track ?Feed back please.
Thanks Dave

GARBOARD

Aug 17, 2013, 8:53:30 PM8/17/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
I plan on getting one.  All the staff at Hathaway's Sail and Rigging shop in CT where I sent my sails for cleaning and repair highly recommend this system.

Brian,
C/R 38 # 150

Kale Gorham

Aug 17, 2013, 11:12:39 PM8/17/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
david I installed one on mine last year and a child can raise the main I had Mack Sails install it I think it was around 1,100 installed but I had all my rigging replaced at same time.... 38 hull 59

Sent from my iPad Kale Gorham

Larry Barker

Aug 18, 2013, 1:04:27 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Hey Brian,
I missed a lot of this thread. Do you have a full battened main?
We do with Harken Bat cars. It is one heavy rig to raise.
Thx
Larry
Venteux

Sent from my iPhone

Leslie Owen

Aug 18, 2013, 10:17:04 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
We put the Strong Track on Tango the first year we had her (2005) and we were getting a new main.  Since I work the deck, I love it.  It is easy to pull up and it drops quickly.  We installed it ourselves.  We were worried and it was easy!  Kind of scary when you cut the tape off that big circle of track.  :)

I think someone on the Cabo site had some issues with their Strong Track breaking down.  Don't know if it was a problem with the batch of material used to make it or if there was a chemical put on it.  We have had good performance with ours and would replace it with the same..

Leslie

SV Tango, CR 34
Lankford Bay Marina
Chester River, MD

BRIAN GORTNEY

Aug 18, 2013, 10:50:19 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Larry:
I have a full battened main.  I'm just going to use what came with the boat until I learn what I'm doing and decide on what changes I need to make ?  All my sails are up a Hathaway's in  CT. for cleaning and repair right now.
I pulled my coupling and shaft yesterday and want to pull the Algonquin Brass tailpiece that houses the cutlass bearing but I'm not sure how to proceed without getting myself in trouble.
Here is a copy of the questions I sent Algonquin who made this unit.

I'm working on a 1991 Cabo Rico 38 Sail boat and need info on removing the oostbo125 tailpiece in order to press a new cutlass bearing out and back in.  There is a double nutted stud at the top and bottom of the tailpiece that attaches it to the hull. Do you have any experience with Cabo Rico's design on this. I wonder if the bolt or stud heads are made or welded into a plate so they cannot turn or if its a can of worms.  There is no access to the inside to hold or even see the back side of the studs or bolts whichever they used. My question is :  Is this tailpiece internally threaded into the shaft log & if so is it right or left hand threads ?  Do I need to pull the tailpiece back to clear the studs to unscrew the tailpiece ? Do you make the log for this boat ?  If so what PN # is it and does it also have a shaft bearing in the middle .  The shaft is 1 1/4" and the O.D of the stuffing box fitting is 2 1/4" . Let me know ?
Thank You Much,
Brian

I see on the threads that you had yours replaced.  I wondered if you did it or hired it done ?  I just am afraid of getting those internal bolts turning and not being able to access them to hold and tighten them.   Can you offer any guidance on this ?

Thanks Much ,
Brian
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

BRIAN GORTNEY

Aug 18, 2013, 10:51:08 PM8/18/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the info !
Best,
Brian Gortney
C/R 38 #150
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "caborico" group.

Larry Barker

Aug 19, 2013, 6:51:48 AM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Leslie,
Is the new sail full batten or no?

Larry

Sent from my iPhone

N C

Aug 19, 2013, 11:13:34 AM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Leslie,
Does the new track need to be screwed or riveted up the entire mast?

Nick

N C

Aug 19, 2013, 6:26:52 PM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Patrick,
I'm considering going with a Strong track, was the installation fairly straight forward?

Thanks,
Nick
CR 38 #190

N C

Aug 19, 2013, 10:40:08 PM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Brian,
I remember Fraser saying that the shaft log is a left hand thread and is screwed into the housing.

Nick

S/V Silhouette

Aug 19, 2013, 10:54:33 PM8/19/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Yes, just carefully follow follow the instructions. All I needed to do
was use a Dremel tool to make the gate at the bottom of the internal
track a little longer. It is all detailed in the instructions and they
are downloadable on the StrongTrack Web site for preview. There are
illustrations with the minimum gate dimensions and location above the
goose-neck. Very easy.

Patrick

On 8/19/2013 12:26 PM, N C wrote:
> Patrick,le on the Web site so you can see what's required

N C

Aug 20, 2013, 8:33:41 AM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Patrick:

Thanks, I must have missed the installation instructions on their website.

Nick.

N C

Aug 20, 2013, 10:35:30 AM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Patrick:

I was able to finally go through the online instructions. The first time I tried was on my IPad at a bad wifi location. They do seem pretty straight forward. They make mention of the headboard popping out of the track under heavy load, have you every experienced any problems like that with the headboard or slides?

Nick

Leslie Owen

Aug 20, 2013, 7:22:04 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Larry, we did not opt for the full batten Main.  We had a full batten main on our last vessel and were really NOT fond of it.  Course we did not have the advantage of the Strong Track with it and maybe that would have made all the difference....

Our sail has battens just not full battens.  It is loose footed.  We are not racers and just hope to get to our destination and back in comfort.  :}

Leslie
sv Tango, CR 34

Larry Barker

Aug 20, 2013, 8:45:29 PM8/20/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
Leslie,
Thanks. I will say after 15 years of wrestling with the main and battens I can't imagine a set up like soft battens would hurt my performance that much.
I have sailed a friends Manta 40 cat extensively. An electric winch at the lines led aft is just wonderful.
Larry

Sent from my iPhone

Leslie Owen

Aug 21, 2013, 10:37:13 AM8/21/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
If Clayton + I can install this, anyone can. Just becareful when you cut the tape on the track coil.
Leslie

S/V Silhouette

Aug 22, 2013, 12:23:35 AM8/22/13
to cabo...@googlegroups.com
No, no issues whatsoever with the headboard.

As for the installation make sure you follow the instructions and do not
cut all the plastic ties on the roll at the start. You want to cut one
or two at the start and then cut them one or two at a time as you unroll
the track as you push it up the mast.

Patrick